PDA

View Full Version : New business

biggss311
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello all,
I am currently working for an irrigation installation/repair company. I now would like to start my own lawn business but I am kind of hesitant to just quit my job, since I probably wont make enough for my monthly bills for a while. My question for everyone is : How quickly have most of you that really applied yourself to marketing/advertising gotten enough customers to where it will pay your bills. I know that everyone will not be the same but I kinda just want to hear others experiences with this. I live in AZ so right now its getting super busy for sprinkler repairs and just wonder if the lawn maintenance is about the same? Thank you for your time and advise.
Sam

Steve
04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Sam,

Welcome to our forum.

Are you going to be starting an irrigation business or lawn care?

Have you started offering this service in the evening so far or on weekends? Thats usually the path a lot of people go when they have a fulltime job they are trying to slowly get away from doing.

Give us a little insight into your plan http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

FourSeasons
04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Welcome!
What does the grass do in the winter there?
I made alot of money my first year during the on season. Enough to make it through winter with some regulars and jobs here and there.
Is lawncare year round there?
Thats probably one of the biggest problems for us is winter depending on where you live.

biggss311
04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
To answer both questions....I will be offering both lawn maintenance and irrigation repair/installation. And yes lawns are huge year round because we don't get any snow. come winter time people put down the winter rye grass and that takes a lot of maintenance to get it going and looking nice. So lawn maintenance is done year round and irrigation is very seasonal. people just shut off their irrigation if they have a break in it during the winter months.

Little's
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
It took me about 3 months from when I started going door to door until I was making enough to pay all my bills. The only advertising I was doing was knocking on doors and word of mouth. I am in Northern Cal. Hope this helps.