PDA

View Full Version : Im sorry

PremierLand
04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
im sorry but can you ban me from this site so i cant come back. lol. 80% of the threads I read just tick me off more and more and I am addicted so I have to come back and log on every few days, LOL.

Steve
04-05-2008, 09:56 PM
What ticks you off about the messages?

All Aspects Landscaping
04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
sounds right... youll get over that at about 150 posts...lol

PremierLand
04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
the stupid posts tick me off, and the stupid questions, mainly when people ask what to charge. I just believe that if they cant figure out what to charge, they should not be in business.

I may be wrong, and there may be nothing wrong with it, but it seems like the owner takes most of the information we post on here and give eachother and he uses it to his own benefit making money. Like i said, there may be nothing wrong with that, but if he is doing that, please let us know so we can give you the right facts (some people give fake "answers" because their competition is on here)...

hopefully this post didnt "tick" anyone else off, haha.

Steve
04-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, I hope this forum is able to create a cycle. One where a new business owner is able to start, read about what has worked in the past and what hasn't and then go on and grow. Then as they grow, share their experiences with newer business owners.

When anyone gets started in any business, many times they have no idea about anything. It's all new and all fresh. Most businesses fail because of a lack of funds but also a lack of knowledge.

Some people enjoy teaching and sharing insights with others. If you enjoy that, then this gives you a great way to help others out. Hopefully you gain wisdom from others too because ultimately we can learn something from everyone we speak to.

clarklandscaping
04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Im not sure why it would tick you off because I have found that when someone asks "how much should I charge", its always the same answer. How long will it take you, whats your time worth, etc., so why does this bother you? If you are a solid company and offer your customers a solid service you have no reason to worry if these people are your competition or not. The only people who are worried are scared by these people are the ones who build their business on price.

I also believe that people who are worried about what other businesses are charging, whether they are in your area or not, should not be in business and probably wont be in a very short time. Build your own business and not worry about what someone else is doing.

PremierLand
04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I dont mind helping people at all, there are always ways to help eachother, and I just think sometimes people should use their brains instead of relying on computers and the internet for once.

clarke, im not worried about a #### thing, im just saying if someone IS NOT SMART enough to figure out time + materials + overhead + profit = what to charge, then they shouldnt own a business because that is first grade material.

clarke I am with you, I believe in building the business not based upon other people prices. One of the first things I tell my clients is that if they want the cheapest price they should look elsewhere because I do not base my prices on Joes Lawn care minus $2 to get your account, I base my price on my expenses and my quality and reliability. Hopefully you see what I am saying. It just ticks me off when some of these people on the site cant do simple 1st grade math. IMO, People who cant do simple common sense things shouldn't own a business, and it seems 70% of the people on here fall into that category.

clarklandscaping
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I guess its too late for not calling people names there bud and Im sorry my opinion offended you so terribly. Im not worried about a thing either and Im saying you should not be either for the reason I pointed out in my first post. Here it is again for the slow.... those who dont know how to bid and others that are worried about the "competition", will be gone soon enough, It has always been this way and I dont see it changing any time soon.

Steve
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Quote[/b] ]I base my price on my expenses and my quality and reliability. Hopefully you see what I am saying. It just ticks me off when some of these people on the site cant do simple 1st grade math.

I think it is very difficult in the beginning for some to conceptualize the idea of how a price is constructed.

Many beginners think in terms of $20 for this job or $30 for that without even considering that time and expenses need to be covered plus profit. Such thinking tends to sink the ship way to early.

But then again, if you get into starting a business after working for someone else most of your life, these concepts are just never explained to you and it's like learning a foreign language.

ritchiem
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I think we need to get a few emotions in check here.

This site is intended to help newbs in the business as much as it is for all of us 'Pro's' as well. I do agree that there are a lot of posts regarding "How much should I charge for this service?"...and it is a question you can't even through a dollar figure at. You do need to know your expenses and overhead of your business, and as professionals the most of us do that. However, there are a lot of people out there (including some people from this site), that this is a new industry for them and they do need some of our help and expertise.

Even in my area there are a lot of business owners just charging what they think is a good price. They are ex-military, retired, got laid off, or just trying something new. And they do need some help sometimes. I am willing to share some of my time to help...mainly the biggest reason I joined the forums 4 years ago.

Sometimes questions seem 'stupid' but if someone is asking...that means they are willing to learn. I can't deny anyone from that.

kdvandco
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
but that is the point of this site....one of the points anyways.

i have learned alot just from reading other how to bid post..
i dont always do as they say...i sometimes improvise depending on the situation. but i have a better understanding of what others are thinking, and where to start.

i think its ok to ask any ?
im sure someone will be more than willing to help.

there is also alot of material on this site for more established setups..

i guess it would be almost impossible to read everysinge thread.... so i usually go to what catches my eye...
or what i feel i may need help with..

i love this site......

musician/lawnman
04-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Quote[/b] (PremierLand @ April 05 2008,9:32)]the stupid posts tick me off, and the stupid questions, mainly when people ask what to charge. I just believe that if they cant figure out what to charge, they should not be in business.
I think this is a pretty crappy attitude.

Alot of the help me bid posts are things some of these "noobs" have never done before. There is a recent post on here now about mulch..... Maybe they've never done mulch before? Maybe they don't know do deep it should be? & they may have no idea whatsoever how long it might take them? But they are trying to grow a new businesss the same as all of us have done & continue to do. So they seek advise. Big friggen deal man. Don't like it? Don't respond to that post.

I love this site. It's a great resourse if & when I need help & I am more than happy to help anyone I can, even if a new company owner right in my town called me up for help I would be happy to offer any advise he sought.

This is the only post I've ever read that pissed me off & I respect you a little less Mark after reading it.

Little's
04-06-2008, 02:22 AM
I have no trouble helping anyone. Chuck stole the words right out of my mouth. I have been known to offer advice to my competition many times. It is always a good idea to keep a close relationship with your competition.
I alway say, "keep your friends close, and your competition closer".

PremierLand
04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Thats fine guys, I see what your saying. Please dont get me wrong, I like helping people, its just some of the people have no common sense that I do mind helping.

gmoney55
04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I am very new to the business and i have learned so much from reading this board. It has been a gigantic help in getting me up and running. I have asked a few questions and got some solid advice. As far as the questions being asked go, the only stupid question is the one nobody asks. And as far as the comments about it being simple 1st grade stuff, I have owned several businesses over the years and am a very good business man and every business i owned i always asked questions from people that were in the business to learn what i did not know. Not trying to be a jerk here but just remember back when you were starting out did you know everything there is to know about your business or did someone help or mentor you. We are here for a reason and that is to share and network ideas and help each other and i am very grateful for this site and for all the wonderful peole on here that do take the time to help others.

FourSeasons
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Mark- This isnt ********. Not everyone on here knows everything. LOL

Fernando's CleanCut!
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I really dont have to ask any questions, some else already ask them, I have learn so much, and I do appreciate all the help. I love this site.

Thank you Steve! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif