PDA

View Full Version : Blade Selection

Andrew's Lawn Care
03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
I was wondering what type of blades everyone prefers to use when just cutting grass. The regular high lift (smooth top) or the mulching style (serated teeth) http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Little's
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
I hate mulching blades.

UniversityLandscapers
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I find the mulching ones are crap with wet grass, they tend to spew out clumps of trimmings that, if you leave clippings behind, look terrible.

Andrew's Lawn Care
03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
What type of mowers do you guys use?

UniversityLandscapers
03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I have a very average Yardworks (a branch of MTD) mower, not really heavy duty. My old one that I used at home had a mulching blade, and I thought it was total junk.

The Yardworks is decent, got a good 6.5HP Tecumseh motor, never had problems with it, and its got decent suction and a good size bag on it. I just sharpen the blades once every two weeks and it gets the job done.

Little's
03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Snapper Hi-Vac. Awesome, love the larger bag.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I primarily use mulching blades. Most of my customers want the clippings bagged up and I can cram more in with the mulchers. Work even better when not bagging. The only thing to be aware of is wet grass. Mulchers can be problematic in those conditions.

I'll use the regular high lifts the first couple of times at the beginning of the season to better vacuum up the junk that accumulated from over the winter.

musician/lawnman
03-23-2008, 08:25 PM
I have a 52" zt & put an mulching kit on it last year as it's a long distance to the landfill from here so bagging isn't really practical for me. It does a nice job with the mulching blades on it & you usually can't tell it wasn't bagged. If the grass is high I might have to make a 2nd pass sometimes & you do need to go a little slower than flat out full speed to get a nice cut but I like it & the customers do too. It is true the wet grass is a pain (I live in florida & it rains june-october) I have to clean out the underside of the deck a couple times a day by hand. When the clippings accumulate I can hear the difference in the noise from the blades & it doesn't cut as well.
& yes keeping sharp sharp blades on them makes a ton of difference!