PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Apprentice Episode 2

Steve
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
The two teams split up to create a commercial for Pedigree pet food that promoted the adoption of pets.

Did you see this episode? It was pretty good. Gene Simmons again stole the show. He got Ivanka upset when she walked in and wanted an update.

You can see the entire episode here.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Celebrity_Apprentice/video/episodes.shtml

What did you think of the show?

Steve
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Did anyone see this latest episode?

I can't believe the Kodak execs fired Gene Simmons!

OMG his teams presentation was so much better.

WOW the show is going to be a lot more different with him gone. Gene was definitely an enigma on the show.

realhuntin
01-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 17 2008,10:41)]Did anyone see this latest episode?

I can't believe the Kodak execs fired Gene Simmons!

OMG his teams presentation was so much better.

WOW the show is going to be a lot more different with him gone. Gene was definitely an enigma on the show.
What are you talking about Gene Simons being fired! I didnt see it.

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Gene gave Trump no choice.

The lesson here is always have your top guy speak to their top guy when it is such an important assignment. The girls he sent to the initial meeting with Kodak were incapable of sumizing the assigment.

I wonder how much Kodak paid to be on that episode. They just received millions of dollars worth of advertising.

Steve, you should contact Trump with an idea of allowing the celebs come up with a marketing campaign for Gopher Software.

Keith

Steve
01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Keith,

I am glad you brought this up. Good stuff here to talk about.

From Keith:
Quote[/b] ]The lesson here is always have your top guy speak to their top guy when it is such an important assignment. The girls he sent to the initial meeting with Kodak were incapable of sumizing the assigment.

I wanted to point out something that is fascinating to me. Gene and his business partner run a marketing company. Read more about that here. (http://genesimmons.com/pages/sam/index.html)

His marketing firm does the marketing for Indy racing. There is a great story behind how he landed this job and I wanted to quote the article from a blog here (http://www.britannica.com/magazine/print?query=scad&id=13&minGrade=&maxGrade=).

Quote[/b] ]DON'T LET THE TONGUE, big ego and rock 'n' roll past fool you. When it comes to making money, Gene Simmons is serious. Serious as cancer. And with the advent of Simmons Abramson Marketing, a partnership with former "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" producer Richard Abramson, he thinks he can make money for you, too.

Of course, any marketer looking to hitch its wagon to the Simmons Abramson experience will have to buckle up for the ride. After all, Simmons is the guy who refused to use the preferred acronym for his first client, Indy Racing League, because IRL sounds "corporate and worse" (worse, in this case, being "a disease").

According to Mr. Simmons, the first thing he told Indy representatives was: "Indy's fantastic, but your logo sucks." He had a few other comments as well. "The Indy Racing League used to be No. 1," he says. "Nascar eclipsed it and left it in the dust…because, quite frankly, Nascar did a better job of it." But Simmons Abramson, which partnered with Indy in January, set out to change all that.

After you read this, let me know if this at all effects your view of how he handled the situation.

Quote[/b] ]I wonder how much Kodak paid to be on that episode. They just received millions of dollars worth of advertising.
I believe they paid $3 million which was split between Donald Trump, Mark Burnett (creator/producer), and NBC.

pmblair
01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
A few notes...

Gene did the wrong thing in my opinion, too... HE should have been the one to meet with the Kodak execs... but don't tell him that. Gene's a tough guy, just like Trump said. He'll go to the grave believing that he did the right thing from top to bottom on EVERYTHING he does in business.

When Trump said something about who Gene would bring back, he was hinting to take two people that Gene did not believe needed to be fired. Gene HATES Omarosa... so naturally, Gene picked her, thinking that he could talk Trump into firing her... when Trump told him that he HAD to pick another person, Gene thought this (and thought it in less than a millisecond): "Well, Trump isn't interested in firing Omarosa, but I'm bringing her in, anyway... I don't want to see either of the two fired that Trump has in mind because I think they're great in business... so I'll bring in the LEAST likely person to be fired and force him to fire Omarosa or me.... most likely me, but that's the way it goes... I won't let him fire the other two on MY watch..." Think about it for a second... watch it again... I guarantee you that if you asked Gene Simmons for a hard answer to why he brought in who he did instead of who he KNEW Trump wanted to fire, and that's EXACLTY what he would tell you!

Gene's a smart guy.... smart to the point of being a genious... look at how far he took he took KISS.... and yes, most of that was HIS doing... study up on it.

I knew about him being involved with Indy Racing.... he's going to bring them back to such a point of awareness that NASCAR will be looking at Indy's tailpipes within 5 years!

Finally, Steve, how did you come up with that $3m number for how much Kodak paid to be on Trump's show?

.....and to tie in with the wrestling post, Vince McMahon will be next week's "client"..... Vince McMahon, for those of you living in the dark ages, is the CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE (formerly WWF)). I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Steve
01-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Quote[/b] ]Gene did the wrong thing in my opinion, too... HE should have been the one to meet with the Kodak execs... but don't tell him that. Gene's a tough guy, just like Trump said. He'll go to the grave believing that he did the right thing from top to bottom on EVERYTHING he does in business.

When Trump said something about who Gene would bring back, he was hinting to take two people that Gene did not believe needed to be fired. Gene HATES Omarosa... so naturally, Gene picked her, thinking that he could talk Trump into firing her... when Trump told him that he HAD to pick another person, Gene thought this (and thought it in less than a millisecond): "Well, Trump isn't interested in firing Omarosa, but I'm bringing her in, anyway... I don't want to see either of the two fired that Trump has in mind because I think they're great in business... so I'll bring in the LEAST likely person to be fired and force him to fire Omarosa or me.... most likely me, but that's the way it goes... I won't let him fire the other two on MY watch..." Think about it for a second... watch it again... I guarantee you that if you asked Gene Simmons for a hard answer to why he brought in who he did instead of who he KNEW Trump wanted to fire, and that's EXACLTY what he would tell you!

Gene pushed Trump to fire him no doubt. I had heard later that he needed to leave to spend more time on his reality show and he was getting ready to tour with Kiss.

I think Gene is the top dog in his arena and it's difficult if next to impossible to think you can get him to answer to a 'boss' in this case Trump. He pushed Trump and Trump fired him. I think it was a bad move for the show, but it's Trump's show.

Gene knows how to get the consumer to become enveloped by a brand. After all he founded a band who has the most recognized brand ever. People have tattoos of kiss on themselves or tattoos of Gene on themselves. How many people have a tattoo of Kodak?

I really what Gene was doing was to get the consumer to wrap themselves around the Kodak brand, by coming up with the motto 'its a Kodak world.' Or what ever it was. Then once he was able to get that feeling out there, Kodak could then sell ink.

To Gene I think the brand was more important and then you could later push the ink. He didn't feel you push the ink. Ink is just ink. It's a commodity. Ultimately it's the value of the brand that will command a higher perceived value of the ink.

So although he didn't PUSH the ink, I do think he had the better bigger picture. But that's just my thought.

Any reflections on this?

Quote[/b] ]Finally, Steve, how did you come up with that $3m number for how much Kodak paid to be on Trump's show?

I had read an article about it and I bet if I look, I could find it. The premise of the article was this. NBC didn't want to do another Apprentice because the ratings were way down, so Mark Burnett and Donald came up with making a celebrity version of it to liven things up. NBC then would only agree to it if they got a third of the product placement fee which is what the company like Kodak pays to be the point of focus on the show. The article said the fee was $3 million.

pmblair
01-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I totally agree... that's what Gene was thinking... Brand awareness... but I guess the big wigs at Kodak were wanting to push the ink (it's some kind of new ink, I think <shrug>)....

Gene's the man... no doubt. He's got me hooked on this season.... I'll watch it still.... =)

Steve
01-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Quote[/b] ]I totally agree... that's what Gene was thinking... Brand awareness... but I guess the big wigs at Kodak were wanting to push the ink (it's some kind of new ink, I think )....

The Kodak execs seemed miffed that Gene didn't personally meet them. I think that was a big reason why they didn't choose him to win.

He has a very strong personality and maybe that rubbed them the wrong way.

The funny thing is, what did those two Kodak execs ever really do? What did they ever accomplish? Did they create Kodak?
For all we know, they could have just been hired ! If you look at Kodak's stock over the last 5 years, it's in the dog house, so the very least they should have done is to give Gene some credit and try something different.

I really think Gene was right when he said he was right and they were wrong. Those steering the Kodak ship have got to try something different.

What are your thoughts?

pmblair
01-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Yeah... totally... after seeing that, they DEFINITELY should not have been so harsh on Gene.

realhuntin
01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with *all above, Gene took the bullet, he relized no matter what he said by taking the 2 he chose to bring back. Trump's mind was made up before they left the room. The Kodak Exec's, missed the big picture, I seen what Gene was trying to do, he was taking them on baby steps back to the top, He was promoting the BIG PICTURE, state of the art printer with the best ink possible, did they (kodak) say if this ink would work in other brand printers, NO only their printers. The 2 work together, so what did it matter which one got the most exposure, they compliment each other. Best Printer, best ink, to get the best quality Prints or Copies use the best INK and it only comes with the Best Printer, Kodak's EasyShare All-n-One Printer model 5300. Who cares if Gene didn't know what the name was He was selling Kodak, bringing them back to the TOP in a digital WORLD! Come on Kodak GET WITH THE PROGRAM, if your going to go then GO! 5 years ago Kodak stood by their Film and Paper, trying to push down the digital camera's, said they wouldnt jump on the band wagon. Well Kodak didn't you learn anything from SONY? During the BATA era Sony said NEVER will they produce a VHS Machine, 5 years later Sony's new slogin was NEVER SAY NEVER again as they jumped into the VHS game. Kodak continues to stand by their film and paper and will do so in a Digital world, They have just stepped it up a notch with the products to print with, I buy only Kodak Paper for my Digital Picture printer.

The whole thing comes down to this, the Kodak Exec's thought in their minds Gene should have been at the meeting. I agree with Gene, I don't think he needed to be there, He sent to very compitent (he thought) people to the meeting. He later found out that This was the case. There was only 2 people sent, to me this is a better way to get *it done. You don't need 6 or 8 people in there clouding up the concept. 2 people asking the right questions and making notes is more than adequate. The problem started when the over zelious, trying to hard to prove herself Nely wouldn't shut up, she just couldn't LISTEN and keep her mouth shut for more than 3 sec. Did either of the 2 ever pitch what Gene was thinking to them so they might have had some small clue what Gene's BIG PICTURE was, NO they did not. Gene's only mistake was sending Nely to the meeting and I too would have made the same mistake, only because of her business background, you would think she would be able to handle this in a better way, this is the 2nd time she has been at a meeting and talked to much.
Omerosa needs to go but this wasnt the week for her, I don't see what Trump see's in her, she has proven she is NOT a leader, I could go on and on with the con's to her and very little pro's. Gene's Team had the best presentation, by far.
IN the end he MANED UP and took the bullet, as it should be. I seen the wheels turning during the meeting, there was no way he was bringing an excape goat back into the room with him and he had one, NELY.

Have you seen any of Kodak's Advertising? It's all about the EasyShare All -n-One Printer, NOT the ink, they touch base with the ink breifly. I think this part is funny, how a Corp. like Kodak can still have a narrow mind and the Technology to be #1 again and the stubren big headed, exec's cant see past their noses. It's beyond me!

pmblair
01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I agree with everything you said, Tim, except one thing...

In my opinion, I think Gene should have met with the execs. I don't think they should have held it against him because he didn't, but if I were project manager, I would have. I think it's important to get all the information yourself and not rely on someone (no matter how much you trust them) to tell you what the execs said. It also shows respect to the execs that you, the PM, are in their face discussing the project with them directly and not through channels. Now Gene's take on things was that "I don't talk to executives... I have bigger and better things to do" and that's fine for him. If I were the advertising company's owner, I wouldn't have met with the execs... I would have sent my own execs to meet with them... and that's how Gene saw it... more from the standpoint of an owner of the "advertising company" rather than a project manager of that "advertising company's" team.

realhuntin
01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Good Point Patrick, I was looking at it like Gene did.

Steve
01-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I found the article and video on the Mad Money site

Check it out here and let me know what you think.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22728379

Steve
01-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Did you watch the show last night?

Jenni got fired.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Celebrity_Apprentice/images/portraits/jennie_finch.jpg

When the show promoted Vince McMahon was going to be on, I totally thought there was going to be a tie in with the WWE.

I was thinking, wouldn't it have been cool if both teams could have taken an unknown wrestler and then create his wrestling persona, including costume and all marketing material! Then have the two wrestlers duke it out.

At the end of the match Donald could have gotten on the mat and asked the fans who they liked more. The wrestler with the most applause would win it for the team.

But instead they were out on the street selling tickets to a broadway show! How boring! They did the same thing the previous episode when they were selling hotdogs on the street!

Did that bug anyone else or was this just me?

I mean cmon put some energy and time into what these challenges are going to be if you want to keep the show on the air!

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Arghhh....I totally forgot Apprentice was on last night. *I will have to catch it online.

Instead, I was busy trying to count the number of bullets and dead bodies in this film:

Shoot 'em Up (http://imdb.com/title/tt0465602/)

Oh, also, I've heard good reviews on this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Steve
01-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh thats the trailer for Cloverfield! I heard it's done great box office numbers! I also heard that they use a lot of hand held camera shots and that has caused a lot of people to have to leave the theater because they felt sick.

The only movie I have ever had to walk out on because of feeling sick due to jittery camera holding was The Blair Witch Project and I was sitting first row in a packed theater oh gosh that was too much shaking!

Steve
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
OMG did you watch the Celebrity Apprentice? It was a marathon of a show! It went on FOREVER. Vinny became a double agent spying on both teams and then the whole thing just imploded! What a disaster!

Vinny Got Fired!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2007/05/16/wtrump16.jpg

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-03-2008, 06:05 AM
That was a crazy show. It shows your integrity is your most valuable possession.

How did you like the message at the end? Boston's "Don't Stop" I think that was a personal message from Trump. If Vinny had played his cards right and gone in on the attack, I'm pretty sure he could have gotten Pearse fired.

Vinny gave up way too early. Do you think, sometimes, in business as in life, we beat ourselves long before we have lost the game? I know I have been guilty of that. It would have taken amazing guts to walk into that board room with head held high on the offensive. I think that is what Trump wanted. He wanted Vinny to fight for his life and Vinny would have been rewarded.

Did you hear what Trump said to Lenox? Trump said every single day is a fight for him. He's a multi-billionaire yet he still feels he has to fight every single day to keep his business a success.

Steve
02-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote[/b] ]How did you like the message at the end? Boston's "Don't Stop" I think that was a personal message from Trump. If Vinny had played his cards right and gone in on the attack, I'm pretty sure he could have gotten Pearse fired.

Did you watch the final scene of the Saprano's? I think the use of Journey's song was an homage to the final scene that used the same music and ended in an abrupt cut. Check out the scene here.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnT7nYbCSvM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnT7nYbCSvM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Quote[/b] ]Vinny gave up way too early. Do you think, sometimes, in business as in life, we beat ourselves long before we have lost the game? I know I have been guilty of that. It would have taken amazing guts to walk into that board room with head held high on the offensive. I think that is what Trump wanted. He wanted Vinny to fight for his life and Vinny would have been rewarded.

Oh no doubt. This was just such a stupid mess that got piled on and on and on. Oh what a mess. So much drama, great for tv but at any moment they all could have said, it's just a show, let's all relax and not take it so seriously.

I think if Vinny stood his ground, he would have stayed and Piers Morgan would have been fired.

Quote[/b] ]Did you hear what Trump said to Lenox? Trump said every single day is a fight for him. He's a multi-billionaire yet he still feels he has to fight every single day to keep his business a success.

I thought that was a great insight and I am sure it's the case. I also think he loves every second of it. There is no doubt he is the man for that role. Trump's been through a lot! I have had the chance to read a couple of his books and it's amazing what he has done.

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
That makes sense. I never really watched the Sopranos.

Boston??? HA, Journey, of course.

Steve
02-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Nely got fired?

http://www.nelygalan.com/images/nelybio.jpg

http://www.nelygalan.com

Cmon! Omarosa is the PM and she didn't get fired? What was the deal with that?

In fact the women's team put on such a better display than the men's!

The women really did a great job and Vera Wang was really impressed with their store window live action display. It was very theatrical.

What did the guy's team do? They had two actors laying on a bed dressed as Cleopatra and Anthony? That was boring! There was nothing to watch. How was that live action or entertainment? How did that grab your attention?

Vera Wang is known for her wedding dresses and they said it's mostly women who buy mattresses, so why not have a performance that shows a man and a woman just married with one of her dresses on. It's a dream sequence for most people, especially most women, I would think!

What's your take?

Steve
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
The biggest train wreck of an Apprentice show happened in last night's episode. WOW ! Who saw it? How did Omarossa and Peirs not both get canned?

What happened though? No one got fired! No one! Unbelievable!

The premise of the show really seemed lame. Who can sell the most for horse pulled trailer rides in Central Park? Cmon, do something more interesting! Have them work with some companies to create some marketing campaigns or something that would be unique and different. Not just selling stuff on the street where the celebrities put in calls to all their rich friends to buy stuff at a high price. It then just comes down to, who has the most rich friends who will show up with cash. That's not really a challenge.

What's your take?

fred333
02-15-2008, 11:39 AM
That would neat to see who showed up with the money.

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Branding. What is Omarosa's brand after last night's show? I'm not just speaking of the actress' character but the person herself. Other than as an irritant, why would anyone ever want to do business with a person capable of showing such deplorable behavior? The sad part is that she will probably be rewarded with talk show appearances, book deals, and movie rolls...but at what cost to her soul?

We touched on branding during the podcast yesterday. The podcast must have sunk into my subconscious as I had dreams about it last night. We discussed Nike and Trump. Those are global brands. Such large brands are simply inaccessible for most LCOs. Tiger Time is an exception.

LCO brands can have a much smaller reach. A brand can be as small as your immediate neighborhood or a 2 mile radius around your home. I just pulled 2 miles our of thin air. You might need a 5 mile radius depending on population density in your area.

What is the cost of 60% brand awareness covering a 2 mile radius of your house? I bet this level of saturation can be achieved for a few hundred dollars over the course of a month. If a brand new LCO started today, by March 15 he could have brand awareness to 60% of the homes within a 2 mile radius. The idea of impacting a small area and reaching saturated brand awareness is phenomenal to think about.

For the first time yesterday, I fully appreciated the idea of brand saturation within a confined geographic area. It is marketing genius to offer Trump-like perception of quality or Nike's swoosh emblem on a micro geographic scale.

Thanks Steve for getting the wheels turning:

Keith

Steve
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Quote[/b] ]Branding. What is Omarosa's brand after last night's show? I'm not just speaking of the actress' character but the person herself. Other than as an irritant, why would anyone ever want to do business with a person capable of showing such deplorable behavior? The sad part is that she will probably be rewarded with talk show appearances, book deals, and movie rolls...but at what cost to her soul?

It's too bad it all happened because it really took away from the show. Did anyone remember that these celebrities were playing to raise money for charity? Yikes! I bet the charities are freaking out now being associated with this. On top of that, isn't it amazing how Trump is a part of this mess? His brand stamps for High Class. Best Service. Class. High $ Value. Then his show becomes a Jerry Springer slug fest and no one says hey way a minute, this is crazy!

Steve
02-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Tito got fired this episode.

This was a very good episode. Each team was working on a soap marketing campaign.

Carol's team did well and the photos were good. Tito's team did well too. I kinda leaned more towards Tito's team but ultimately they lost.

It was a good show. Good content and I am sorry to see Tito go. He played the game well.