PDA

View Full Version : Bad Knees

B7 Enterprise
01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
anybody here work with bad knees, I tore the part in my kness that the bone rubs againt, the cushion part.
I am thinking about giving up lawn care for good. any advise?

Steve
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Jacob,

Have you thought anything about what you would like to do next if you did stop your lawn care business?

B7 Enterprise
01-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Well I still have a Mobile Lawn Mower repair business I do, or I could go back to being a pastry chef. if I did that I would have to move, no pastry chef jobs anywhere close to me.

hard to just get up and move with a family.

I don't know..

Steve
01-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Jacob,

Every once in a while we talk about the mobile lawn mower repair business concept!

That is fantastic you do this!

Can you tell us a little about how and when you got that started?

Do you have a truck that is customized to do this? How do you work on the mowers and what type of services do you provide?

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 12:10 PM
You know I started this about 7-8 years ago, and it didn't do that well. and that was about the time I got sick so I dropped it.

I thought I would try it again in 2007 without any advertising and it took off. its actually doing pretty good with no advertising.

I like doing it but I'm still a little nervous about how well its going to do. with the recession and all.

I really don't want to get out of lawn care, especially with a big company wanting me to bid on there properties in the fall. I am thinking about toughing it out until fall and then go in and have my knee worked on if I have too.

I'm at the point were I need for some higher being to tell me what to do..lol... you know what I mean.

I lost all ability to think for myself. lol

Steve
01-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Quote[/b] ] Posted on Jan. 27 2008,12:10You know I started this about 7-8 years ago, and it didn't do that well.

What was your view on it when you started it in the beginning? What was the toughest part?

Was it hard to find customers?

Did you enjoy the work?

Did you market to homeowners or lawn care businesses too?

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 12:20 PM
I have a van but I just throw everything in the back.. I just do the basic things, no mayor repair. I can do it faster and make more money.

The first thing people ask me is it cheaper to buy new..I tell them if I can't fix it in two hours, then yes it would be. so far I have them up and running in under an hour. (so far)

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 27 2008,12:12)]Quote[/b] ] Posted on Jan. 27 2008,12:10You know I started this about 7-8 years ago, and it didn't do that well.

What was your view on it when you started it in the beginning? What was the toughest part?

Was it hard to find customers?

Did you enjoy the work?

Did you market to homeowners or lawn care businesses too?
My view was to just make money...nothing else. but i found that i really liked doing it, but I HATE working on cars. go figure

maybe its because i don't get as dirty.

right now I am just doing home owners, I've been thinking about lawn care companies, but if they are like me I done everything myself.

If I knew I coulod just make a living doing this I would just do this. thats were I get nervous.

Steve
01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Jacob,

I open this question to you and others reading this. Do you feel it would be cost effective for a lawn care operator to hire you to do the preventative maintenance of the equipment? Could you do it for cheaper than they could. Also would they prefer not to do it because its a pain in the butt and they would rather not?

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 27 2008,12:52)]Jacob,

I open this question to you and others reading this. Do you feel it would be cost effective for a lawn care operator to hire you to do the preventative maintenance of the equipment? Could you do it for cheaper than they could. Also would they prefer not to do it because its a pain in the butt and they would rather not?
I think it would be cheaper for a lawn care company to do it there self.

I am not cheap..your talking about $100 or more per mower. I would probably give a discount if I done the whole fleet at once.

I think it would be cheaper if they hired me to come in pick up there dull blades, replace with new one already sharpened. and done that each time they needed there blades sharpened. It takes alot of time to sharpen blades. if all they have to do was remove and replace they would save alot of time.

I also thought about if they had a problem in the field, they could call me and I would show up and fix whatever as wrong. flat tire, dull blades. etc.

Steve
01-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Those are some great ideas!

Could you also offer a rental mower/trimmer on the spot?

Or maybe have one they could use while you fixed theirs?

Would something like this be feasible?

What would you have to charge per hour to make this work? Then maybe other lawn care business owners could jump in and say if they would pay that. This would be helpful information for you.

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't have a clue, what I would charge for something like that.
But it is a good ideal. I might have to look into that. The only thing is, would they only want a certain type of mower, or take what you have on hand.

your giving me some ideals to think about.

Steve
01-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I think they would be very happy to have what ever you had. Maybe have a push mower and a larger walk behind?

What kind of hourly rate would have to be charged for the general mower servicing?

B7 Enterprise
01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 27 2008,1:47)]I think they would be very happy to have what ever you had. Maybe have a push mower and a larger walk behind?

What kind of hourly rate would have to be charged for the general mower servicing?
I charge $60 per hour with an one hour minimum. to work on small engines

Steve
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Jacob,

Did you see we had a flyer template on mower maintenance service?

Could you use something like this?

Download from here. (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=942;st=80)

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/uploads/post-8-09206-mower_repair_flyer.jpg