PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your lawn experience from?

FourSeasons
01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I was looking for some classes just related to lawn care only. Not mowing it. I mean diagnosing problems, treating it, keeping it green, etc. I cant really find any.
I have books from Scotts and others out there that focus on this, but i'm not talking about books either. There is classes for plants and flowers.
I've resorted to on the job experience but that is limited. Most of my knowledge comes from the books.

I also try different things on my own lawn before I try it on a customers. That way I can recommend solutions to certain problems.

So where do you guys get your experience and knowledge for caring for grass?

realhuntin
01-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Hi Rob,

My experience comes from Farming (grew up on horse farm) I do live in Kentucky. lol, V-School education in horticulture and Vo-Ag. (FFA-Future Farmers of America) 4-yrs.

Workshops from the county extension office and local college.

In the field and asking question and receiving help from trade friends.

Internet, books, and the most valuable, just watching and learning from my Grandfather.

Your state Ag website has some great info on it and workshop schedules, check under resources and links section. Contact your local Extension Office, this is another great resource for finding those IPM classes in your area. Most of these do have small fees associated with it but is well worth it. Local colleges my have some botany classes.

Steve
01-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Tim,

I did a quick search and couldn't find any videos on this topic. Did you ever think about taking some of your production experience and making such videos?

Little's
01-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Your local college should offer many classes and such that are very helpful. I learned a ton.