PDA

View Full Version : Steve**STOP THE SPAMMERS

landonkade
01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
i have noticed there is alot of spaming that comes though the forum.

Its pushing all the people that have made new posts down<**-important topics

all this SPAMMING is getting old

its possiable that it could be pushing forum members away from posting anymore... i could be wrong

Steve
01-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh what a spam-fest today My gosh! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

ABurlison
01-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Couldn't there be a way you have to confirm their registration before placing an ad or something? I'd hate to see you have to screen each and every post before it appears.

Steve
01-20-2008, 07:18 PM
There are a lot of filters I can use.

Here is what I have found to be a problem in the past.

If I have to confirm people before they post, then they don't get a chance to post as soon as they register and they send emails saying they don't understand why they cant post.

If I ban I.P.s then I get emails saying people can't get online through different internet gateways and then I have to open the IP range.

It seems for everything you do to try and stop it, you actually stop someone who really wants to read and take part, so at this point I just try to have a bunch of us remove the spam posts as they come.

At least to me it seems like the least of all the evils, so to speak.

What's your view?

pmblair
01-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Steve-

Is there a way to give the mods the power to delete posts? That would help, I think. We can edit the posts all day long, but they're still there till you can delete them.

Steve
01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Sure, Let me try to set that up. That is probably the best way to handle it.

Thank you.