PDA

View Full Version : Is the commercial bar low?

FourSeasons
01-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I am posting this kind of relating to the post in community assistance area about the Denny's "situation".

I went to Portland a couple weeks ago and we stayed in a Hotel and ate out at a restraunt every meal. Not smart $$$ wise.

Anyways after visiting several restraunts and my hotel I commented to my wife about how several of the places we ate and stayed were not well kept. As far as the landscape maintenace goes.
Things that I would not let pass as acceptable while doing residential properties. And that customers would not let pass either. I am detailed orientated when it comes to how I leave a property looking when I am done. Maybe even sometimes a little overboard. Which can be a bad thing sometimes if it consumes to much time.

So is the expectation for maintenance just real low when it comes to commercial so lcos doing commercial dont care really how it looks when they leave or when their crew leaves. Or are residential customers to picky?
Then again I have seen some outstanding looking commercial properties.

Where ever the expectations are I will continue to do as I have been. I always recieve compliments from customers. And will apply my personal "high" standards to every property I aqquire. Whether residential or commercial.

What are your guys thoughts on this.

I only have one small commercial acct. by the way. So I am not to knowledgeable on the expectations.

Steve
01-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi Rob,

You are making some very good points and it is exactly these points that continually open the door for new businesses to get their footings!

Where one business let's things languish, another steps up and becomes the new shinning star.

I think one of the toughest things about growing a business is keeping your enthusiasm high and also passing that on to your employees.

Quote[/b] ]Anyways after visiting several restraunts and my hotel I commented to my wife about how several of the places we ate and stayed were not well kept. As far as the landscape maintenace goes.

What kinds of things caught your attention?

FourSeasons
01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Quote[/b] ]You are making some very good points and it is exactly these points that continually open the door for new businesses to get their footings!

Where one business let's things languish, another steps up and becomes the new shinning star.

I think one of the toughest things about growing a business is keeping your enthusiasm high and also passing that on to your employees.

Anyways after visiting several restraunts and my hotel I commented to my wife about how several of the places we ate and stayed were not well kept. As far as the landscape maintenace goes.

What kinds of things caught your attention?

Just smaller things that arent that big of a deal probably but start to add up.
Poor weed control in some of the beds but frequently.
Improperly pruned shrubs or some just left with long parts just hanging out obvious.
I saw rings around single shrubs and trees where there should have been just mulch with lava rock in them. And the rock was all mixed in the grass in a areas that are not near rockways.

Would it be bad to be talking to a manager and say something along the lines like - I was wondering if you are aware of the unkept condition of the landscape.- When trying to put a bid in a property. Address those issues and sell how you would keep those in proper order.

Steve
01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Quote[/b] ]Would it be bad to be talking to a manager and say something along the lines like - I was wondering if you are aware of the unkept condition of the landscape.- When trying to put a bid in a property. Address those issues and sell how you would keep those in proper order.

I think this is a great idea. It shows that you are on the ball and you can see and point out problems that need to be addressed.

It's a great way to get a conversation started with a manager and then you can hand them your card!

Let me know how this works out.