PDA

View Full Version : Why do people drink and drive?

Steve
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I had this discussion last night with one of my friends on why people drink and drive.

I was wondering your point of view?

This being the holiday season, there seems to be more of an opportunity to drink and drive than ever.

If everyone knows it is so wrong and so dangerous, why do people continue to do this?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
12-27-2007, 10:41 AM
ETOH, alcohol, has the ability to lower inhibitions while at the same time dulling a persons ability to reason. It also tends to bring out the the hidden person inside of one's self, sort of like Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. As we used to say, instant a*****e, just add alcohol.....

There are folks out there that still manage to know right from wrong regardless of the amount of ETOH they have consumed, but they are far and few between.

And if asked how many drinks they've had, the standard answer for a drunk driver is always "two or three", never fails....

Steve
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Why do you have someone who could be viewed as successful by others go out and drink and drive?

Does it come down to them feeling they want a change in their life? Do they do this because they are out of control and are crying out for help? Are they that desperate for change they need to be arrested to get that change?

FourSeasons
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Quote[/b] ]Why do you have someone who could be viewed as successful by others go out and drink and drive?

Does it come down to them feeling they want a change in their life? Do they do this because they are out of control and are crying out for help? Are they that desperate for change they need to be arrested to get that change?

I don't think that has to much to do with drinking and driving.
People keep doing it over and over. I know people who have 3 and 4 dui's. they just get caught. Some people want a change but not many.
I know someone who just got a dui. they quit drinking til they were done with court. I thought they were really going to quit. but they are right back at it.
I got a dui about 4 years ago and i kept drinking afterwards. I just got caught doing something that was wrong and illegal. I 've drank twice in the last 2.5 years. I don't drink anymore. What a waste of money.

landonkade
12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 27 2007,9:52)]I had this discussion last night with one of my friends on why people drink and drive.

I was wondering your point of view?

This being the holiday season, there seems to be more of an opportunity to drink and drive than ever.

If everyone knows it is so wrong and so dangerous, why do people continue to do this?
people are depressed that is y i think they drink. Drinking is a depression. I could be wrong

-just my thoughts on it-

some people enjoy drinking and dont know what they would do without a 6 or 12 pack,lol

holiday drinking is reasonable

pmblair
12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I think people do it because they are selfish, and they think they're "bulletproof". S.P.Martin's right... there are those who, when they drink, they say "I don't need to drive anywhere now..." But I think by far, the vast majority of people who drink on a regular basis know that it's wrong, but they think they can handle it and not get into any trouble. I actually had one guy say to me when I asked him why he would drink and drive when it's illegal and dangerous, "Well, you speed, don't you? Isn't that illegal and dangerous, too?" What he fails to realize is that 5-10 mph over the speed limit when EVERYONE ON THE INTERSTATE is doing it with you is not NEARLY as dangerous as driving while intoxicated.

I drink, but rarely...socially... and when I DO drink, it's never more than two... and after I take my first sip, that's it. I will NOT get behind the wheel of a vehicle for ANY reason. Someone in the house is sick or injured? 911... Someone needs cigarettes? Call a cab... There's an easy way to do things when you;ve been drinking that doesn't involve you getting behind the wheel of a car.

I've called the police on friends that were DWI... my friend calledn the police on his MOTHER when SHE was DWI.... Tough love, my friends....

Bottom line.... Operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol is illegal... moreover, it's dangerous! People have been seriously injured, paralyzed and KILLED because of it....

DON'T DO IT...
DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY DO IT...

What's the thing they used to say on the commercials?
"The life you save may be your own!"

Steve
12-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you for your insights.

For me the toughest thing has always been how far should I go to try and get someone to stop from driving off drunk. I have been amazed how beligerent some people I have known would get.

It has always been a very odd position for me to be in where the situation is really getting heated and its going to come down to a wrestling match to try and pull some keys away from someone.

As time goes on, I have felt less inclined to take it to that level.

How far will you go to stop someone from drinking and driving?

FourSeasons
12-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Quote[/b] ]For me the toughest thing has always been how far should I go to try and get someone to stop from driving off drunk. I have been amazed how beligerent some people I have known would get.

It has always been a very odd position for me to be in where the situation is really getting heated and its going to come down to a wrestling match to try and pull some keys away from someone.

As time goes on, I have felt less inclined to take it to that level.

How far will you go to stop someone from drinking and driving?

I can relate to this and I agree with you. I've been to the bar a few times after I quit drinking and seen my friends drink and then drive. When I drank I didn't care. Trying to stop them is almost pointless.
Months ago I went out for a while with my friend and he was way to drunk to drive. He wouldn't give up his keys but assured me that he wasn't going to drive. Well he ended up driving and I decided to follow him home. I watched him swerve all over and run into the sidewalk. He made it home but I don't know how people can keep doing it over and over. Its only a matter of time.

In my experience trying to stop someone thats drunk from driving is almost a lost cause and it is akward.

realhuntin
01-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 27 2007,9:52)]I had this discussion last night with one of my friends on why people drink and drive.

Can't fix STUPID!

Only thing I got to say about drinking and driving, JUST PLAIN STUPID! even if it's only one drink, one beer or one anything.

realhuntin
01-04-2008, 02:28 AM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Dec. 27 2007,7:18)]I think people do it because they are selfish, and they think they're "bulletproof". *S.P.Martin's right... there are those who, when they drink, they say "I don't need to drive anywhere now..." *But I think by far, the vast majority of people who drink on a regular basis know that it's wrong, but they think they can handle it and not get into any trouble. *I actually had one guy say to me when I asked him why he would drink and drive when it's illegal and dangerous, "Well, you speed, don't you? *Isn't that illegal and dangerous, too?" *What he fails to realize is that 5-10 mph over the speed limit when EVERYONE ON THE INTERSTATE is doing it with you is not NEARLY as dangerous as driving while intoxicated.

I drink, but rarely...socially... and when I DO drink, it's never more than two... and after I take my first sip, that's it. *I will NOT get behind the wheel of a vehicle for ANY reason. *Someone in the house is sick or injured? *911... *Someone needs cigarettes? *Call a cab... *There's an easy way to do things when you;ve been drinking that doesn't involve you getting behind the wheel of a car.

I've called the police on friends that were DWI... my friend calledn the police on his MOTHER when SHE was DWI.... *Tough love, my friends....

Bottom line.... Operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol is illegal... moreover, it's dangerous! *People have been seriously injured, paralyzed and KILLED because of it....

DON'T DO IT...
DON'T LET YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY DO IT...

What's the thing they used to say on the commercials? *
"The life you save may be your own!"
Patrick you have the perfect point of view on this topic, I havnt had a drink in over 15 years, not one! But when I did I stayed where I was or someone that didnt drink (cab) drove me home even as you say after the first sip.

Your right tough love is the best you can offer sometimes.

realhuntin
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Went to a party Mom...

(read all the way to the bottom and sign your name)

I went to a party,
And remembered what you said.
You told me
not to drink, Mom,
so I had a sprite instead.

I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
that I didn't drink and drive,
though some friends said I should.

I made a healthy choice,
And your advice to me was right.
The party finally ended,
and the kids drove out of sight.

I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece.
I never knew what was coming, Mom,
something I expected least.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear the policeman say,
the kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.

My own blood's all around me,
As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
this girl is going to die.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying high.
Because he chose to drink and drive,
now I would have to die.

So why do people a do it, Mom
Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
like a hundred stabbing
knives.

Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom
Tell daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven,
put ' Mommy's Girl' on my grave.

Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive

My breath is getting shorter,
Mom I'm getting really scared
These are my final moments,
and I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mom,
As I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, 'I love you, Mom!'
So I love you and good-bye.

Something to think about as my 18 year old cousin was hit head on by kids that had been huffing and driving the wrong way on a Interstate at of 100+ mph, my cousin was ejected from the car while waring a seatbelt he is alive today thank god, but he has spent countless days recovering from this. It was the night before he was to start college, he HAD free ride baseball, soccer and academic scholarships to UK. All sports scholarships where lost because of dwi,dui how ever it fits.

pmblair
01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
That makes me well up with tears every time I read it... it's been around a while, but definately a keeper!