PDA

View Full Version : Entreprenuer.com

FourSeasons
12-25-2007, 01:19 PM
This is a good site not directly related to lawn care but more towards running a business. Questions and answers.
Some people forget that this is a business. A business needs structure.
Not just where can I get customers and mowing grass.

I look forward to working on my business structure this winter when I get some down time.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/businessideas/189.html

They talk about lawn care here as a business oppurtunity.
You can get to the home page from here.

Steve
12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi Rob,

That is a great find! And a great discussion point.

Quote[/b] ]I look forward to working on my business structure this winter when I get some down time.

When you talk about business structure, can you tell us a little about what you are thinking? What is the structure you want to work on.

I am sure others would benefit from your thought process on this.

I like this quote from the site.
Quote[/b] ]The advantages to this business are that you can start on a shoestring, you’re out in the fresh air every day with no ringing phones or clattering keyboards to interfere with the birds
As I was reading I was thinking that this is the perception of this business but the reality is your phone better be ringing and you better be answering it or someone else will get that call!

FourSeasons
12-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Quote[/b] ]That is a great find! And a great discussion point.

I look forward to working on my business structure this winter when I get some down time.

When you talk about business structure, can you tell us a little about what you are thinking? What is the structure you want to work on.

I am sure others would benefit from your thought process on this.

I like this quote from the site.
The advantages to this business are that you can start on a shoestring, you’re out in the fresh air every day with no ringing phones or clattering keyboards to interfere with the birds

As I was reading I was thinking that this is the perception of this business but the reality is your phone better be ringing and you better be answering it or someone else will get that call!

My business doesn't really have structure. I don't even have a business plan.
I just put out ads. Answer calls. Give bids. Do work. Take care of my regular customers. And then it goes around again.
So I want to develop one. I eventually want money going into a 401 K. How many lco's have one of those set up? Probably not very many.

And the last part- Yeah your phone better be ringing in the begining stages. or your not going to be just out ide enjoying fresh air with noone but you and nature. It takes alot discipline every day to put on the rain gear and go out and work everyday this time of the year. And not take every day off cuz its raining.

Steve
12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
You do make me think.

How much of business is simply organic. None of us know if any of the things we do will work. We are just crazy enough or enjoy it enough to experiment.

I would venture to guess that more new lawn car business than not, don't have a business plan when they start or have any kind of structure when they start.

I think there is more structure in businesses that need to present a plan to investors or a bank in order to get a loan when they are started.

Do those such businesses have any better of a chance? I don't think so actually.

However I do think creating structure as you go is very important. Also having a vision of where you want your business to go is important because then each day you can ask yourself, is this taking me closer to my goal or further away from it.

Have you considered downloading one of the free business plan examples and then putting in your information? They are located here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=4380&st=&&#entry19779).

When you think of the bigger picture, where do you see yourself or your business. Can you describe the vision?

FourSeasons
12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Quote[/b] ]When you think of the bigger picture, where do you see yourself or your business. Can you describe the vision?
I would like to see my little one man show turn into something big. I always thinking about bigger things. I don't want to stay as a small little one man show. Some people like working for themselves and by themselves but I want to become a name that everyone knows. First of who they think of when their grass or landscape needs to be maintained or whatever.

Last night I went out to dinner with one of my good friends that I've known for 10 years. We were talking about going into business together. He has alot of resources in the community through his family and himself. He is just like me and even more business orientated with the idea of growing a big business. But more knowledge about the business side of things than I have. He as a small business now. Just something we are going to be talking about in the weeks to come.

Steve
12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Quote[/b] ]Last night I went out to dinner with one of my good friends that I've known for 10 years. We were talking about going into business together. He has alot of resources in the community through his family and himself. He is just like me and even more business orientated with the idea of growing a big business. But more knowledge about the business side of things than I have. He as a small business now. Just something we are going to be talking about in the weeks to come.

I love these kinds of conversations! What kind of businesses were you thinking about?

What do you feel he has over you as far as resources in the community and how could you put yourself in that position?

Do you prefer being more in front or behind the scenes?

FourSeasons
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE]I love these kinds of conversations! What kind of businesses were you thinking about?

What do you feel he has over you as far as resources in the community and how could you put yourself in that position?

Do you prefer being more in front or behind the scenes?
[QUOTE]

As far as resources he has. His uncle is on the city council and knows about every new development or building going up cuz they vote on them. This would enable us to get our foot in the door if we wanted to persue the landscaping side of things. We would have a heads up on putting in bids.

Also his uncle is also a general contractor/developer with equipment that we would be able to use on special occasions where needed. Another possible resource until we could get are own.

I feel that another person could push the business forward faster. I have known him for 10 years and we have considered going into business several times even lawn maitenance at one point but I was stuck in working for someelse mode. I didn't see the big picture.

I like to be in front where the action is at making decisions and doing the work to make sure it is done right.