PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you're sick??

Angelik99
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Right now it's not too bad, because I have my dad to pick up my slack. But if I'm doing it on my own, like I will be next year, what's the best way to catch up??

Typically I can work when I'm sick, so I would, but I got a virus that has pretty much kept me in bed all week. So what does everyone else do when they get this sick?? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
If I'm so bad that I can't work, I'll call the customers scheduled for the next day or two and let them know it ain't gonna happen. Health comes first. This business can be very strenuous and combining that with being ill is a recipe for serious repercussions to your well being. You need to live to fight another day.

If there is a special event coming up, like at one of my restaurant accounts, I'll send my two kids over as they have done it with me all summer long. Otherwise, the accounts all get backed up equally. Have yet to have an issue with a customer about it as they all understand where I'm coming from.

Essex Groundskeeping
02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
If I'm so bad that I can't work, I'll call the customers scheduled for the next day or two and let them know it ain't gonna happen. Health comes first. This business can be very strenuous and combining that with being ill is a recipe for serious repercussions to your well being. You need to live to fight another day.

If there is a special event coming up, like at one of my restaurant accounts, I'll send my two kids over as they have done it with me all summer long. Otherwise, the accounts all get backed up equally. Have yet to have an issue with a customer about it as they all understand where I'm coming from.

You're talking about 2 days, I thinking a small operation or stomach flu where you are out for a week, how do you handle that?

stevef1201
02-28-2014, 06:27 AM
If you cant work because 'I'. sick", then you need to pull up your skirt and find a job with sick days. When you own the business and have no help you cannot get sick. period. If you think that you are a god and will never have to take time off I feel sorry for you because one day you will be hit with realty. No matter what you have to have someone who can help you out, I had a parttime helper who could step in, he moved. As the season is just beginning I have to look for another one.
Always have contact you can use to help out. If nothing else get one of you local competitors to help you, by helping them when they need it.

Just for Cuts
02-28-2014, 07:05 AM
If nothing else get one of you local competitors to help you, by helping them when they need it.

This is another reason why it's pretty important (and common sense) to not be a lowballer / scab in your area. No one is going to be willing to help you if you're out stealing accounts from everyone. I've gotten quite a bit of "overflow" work from a few guys who overbooked themselves or got backed up from the weather. I've even lent out equipment to a guy who had his trailer vandalized. As a thank you he ended up giving me a few accounts that were out of his way and didn't want to be bothered with them anymore. Now I'm not saying to lend out a $9000 rider to anyone who asks, but if you constantly see a local guy running around town chances are he won't move to Canada with your $150 hedge trimmer (but obviously get something in writing).