PDA

View Full Version : Is this a real Job?

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I had a guy call me yesterday. He got my ad out of one of the papers around here. He was a lco and he was selling his business. He was looking for guys in the business that might want to by his equipment.
He was telling me how its winter time and slowed down and hes quitting and going to get a real job. He's got kids and bills to pay and hes sick of the winter time stressing him out being broke. IN the spring and summer he does fine of course.
He said he had been in business for 5 years.

I've heard a few times as this business referred to as not a real job. I also had a customer tell me that their previous lco got a real job.
Why do people think this is not a real job? I think of it as a job because if you are working by yourself and doing all of the labor all you are doing is owning a job. I looking to move past that one day though as my business grows.
I enjoy lawn care and I don't want to end up in that guys position. I would think after 5 years he should've had things worked out to where in the winter he was okay.
Its Dec. and I still have enough business to carry me through this month. We'll see how Jan and Feb go.
I asked him what kind of mowers he had, any bigger than a 36". He said no I've got 2 craftsman 21". and a trailer and bunch of echo misc. stuff.
After 5 years in business I would think he would have had more than 2 craftsman. I bought a honda after a couple months in business. Maye he was lying bout the 5 years and this was his first year.

Just thought I would share this

clarklandscaping
12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Sounds to me this guy got out exactly what he put in to his business, NOTHING! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I agree!

Steve
12-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Good story. I think ultimately it all comes down to what you make of it. Running a business isn't for everyone. He didn't like he enjoyed it. I think the more you enjoy it the more you will do with it.

What do you think would be the ideal size for being in business 5 years?

Steve
12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Another thing I wanted to add Rob, was don't let any of these people get to you to make you think what you are doing isn't real. You are kicking butt and you are an entrepreneur. Keep the faith and keep growing.

Little's
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I have noticed that there are those who are more comfortable working for someone else (followers), and those who are more comfortable working for themselves (leaders). He is obviously a follower, or he would have done better with his business. No drive to improve his position.

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
You are kicking butt and you are an entrepreneur. Keep the faith and keep growing.

Yeah, I actually can't believe how good I've done not even in business a full year yet. My customers are always so pleased with my work it gives me good confidence.
I actually just got a Christmas card from a customer with a $25 check in it. She was so happy with the work I did for her 2 months ago and is looking forward to spring she said.
That really took me by suprise because I had just got back from the store getting cards for my customers

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
You are kicking butt and you are an entrepreneur. Keep the faith and keep growing.

Yeah, I actually can't believe how good I've done not even in business a full year yet. My customers are always so pleased with my work it gives me good confidence.
I actually just got a Christmas card from a customer with a $25 check in it. She was so happy with the work I did for her 2 months ago and is looking forward to spring she said.
That really took me by suprise because I had just got back from the store getting cards for my customers

Steve
12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Quote[/b] ]That really took me by suprise because I had just got back from the store getting cards for my customers

Oh! What will you be doing with your holiday cards?

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
Nothing special. Just gonna right Merry Christmas and send them out.
I bet you got a good idea to go with the cards huh?

realhuntin
12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
You know years ago People used to all the time ask Liberatchie if he was ### and he would smile real big all the way to the bank. Think About. So yes it is a real job most people don't have a clue.
I to was asked WHY I was mowing yards and landscaping, with all my education and experence in the technologies industry. As $$$$$ tewinkled in my eyes I replied "I like the the work and being outdoors. I was on my way to the bank.

landonkade
12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
you are an entrepreneur. Keep the faith and keep growing

How big to u have to be to in order to reach being on T.V for success stories. Like on how u started and how u reached your first million. Like maiking your first million in the first 2-3 years

FourSeasons
12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Quote[/b] ]you are an entrepreneur. Keep the faith and keep growing

I just used "is this a real job" as a title referring to the guy that called me wanting to sell his equip.

I know this is business is just like a job and I have enjoyed most of it so far. I'm not thinking of selling out what little I have at all. I can't beleive the things I've aquired for my business and the $$$ I have in the bank all in under a year.

You have to have alot of self discipline to go to work everyday and not just screw off. But it comes without trying if ou enjoy it.