PDA

View Full Version : Are more of your friends..

Steve
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Are more of your friends business owners or employees?

Do they look to you for business advice?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
12-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Interesting question. *The old saying that birds of a feather flock together should apply. *Friends are few and acquaintances are many.

How you interact with people is based on the size of the circles around you. *Only friends are allowed into the inner circle.

Of the people I consider friends, one is a business owner that I lean on for advice and sounding board. *But the common threads we all share are having positive outlooks, common interests such as hobbies, work, etc., and listening to each other anytime, anywhere.

Acquaintances, who are in the next circle, which can be quite large, are just as varied as friends. *I find that I do pick their brains as well depending on what I'm looking for. *They aren't called upon like friends.

The next circle is populated with people you know based on how often you are in contact with them, for instance the person you have gotten to know that works at Home Depot, but thats the only interaction. *Almost exclusively you deal with them regarding business.

I guess what I'm saying is that you depend on few friends for advice, but also lots of others, perhaps more than you realize.

quickcleanlawn
12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
well said,you took the words right out of my mouth.

Steve
12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
You know, all of what you said there makes me think.

Many people who want to start businesses may find themselves surrounded by others who are not entrepreneurs. Because of this, they will not get the positive feedback and support to make a go of their venture.

So it does make you wonder, if you want to be an entrepreneur, maybe the first thing you should do, or at least put this on your list, is surround yourself with others who are entrepreneurs. Maybe that would help improve your chances of success.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Surrounding yourself or associating with like minded individuals you trust and trust you does go a long way. Talk to any successful individual and invariably you will see that they value input from people that have greater knowledge in particular fields or aspects of the business and subsequently make it a point to have them on board. Yes men are not wanted.

As the boss, you will need those people as we all have to admit we are not that sharp in certain aspects of our enterprises, whether its book keeping, taxes, payroll, short term planning, long term planning, and lots more.

I am very close to an individual that has managed to over come to a certain degree the learning disability dyslexia. He has developed an almost photographic memory, but also makes sure to employ people that are better than he is at certain tasks. Not too shabby for a disruptive kid in school that was told he wouldn't amount to much. Now owns and operates a business that grosses in excess of 1.5 million bucks a year.