PDA

View Full Version : domystuff.com

FourSeasons
11-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Check domystuff.com if you are looking for work to do. I found the site from a guy on craigslist months ago and I forgot about it.
Go on there register and then check your area. People advertise things they want done around there house and computer stuff and other things.
I'm going to give a guy a bid today on trimming his shrubs that had a posting on there.
Hope someone gets some use out of it.

Steve
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
How does it compare to craigslist? Is there a cost to this?

FourSeasons
11-11-2007, 12:29 PM
No its free. I don't think very many people know about this site. But I went on there last night and there was about 5 different jobs in my area. only 1 of them was in the area that I service though.
You log in and bid on a job that you would want to do. Of course with our kind of work most of us would want to see it first. So if thats the case you just send the person a message asking them to go out and check it out or whatever you might need to know.
I don't think you will find tons of work. But you might find a job here and there. Especially if you can do a variety of things.
I have mine acct set up so that it notifies me via email every time a new job pops up in my area.

Steve
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Do you have to register to review the job postings?

FourSeasons
11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
No you can go on there and just look around. I think its easier to use if you register though.

Steve
11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Did you put in a bid for that job in your area? Did you hear anything back yet?

FourSeasons
11-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I leaving in about 15 minutes to go out there.
Did you check it out?

Steve
11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I checked out the site and I think it is a great find! Any updates on how the estimate went?

FourSeasons
11-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah I went out their gave him a bid and he's going to get some more becuase its kind of a big job. So we'll see in a week or so. I don't think he's in a big hurry to get it done.

Steve
11-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Well I do hope you get the job! Maybe others here will check out the site as well!

Little's
11-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I checked it out, but didnt see any jobs within 2 hundred miles of my town, so I will just have to keep checking back.

pmblair
11-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Very interesting site. When I did web design full time I was on a couple of sites like this specifically for web guru work. I actually like this kind of site, but it has its pitfalls, too... you get people who lowball on this type of site a LOT. Hopefully the people on here will go with the bids that actually look valid and not expect a 1 acre lot to be mowed for $10 or something.

Steve
11-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I totally understand what you mean about that. Especially if they are one time jobs!

FourSeasons
11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Quote[/b] ] actually like this kind of site, but it has its pitfalls, too... you get people who lowball on this type of site a LOT.
I kind of sensed that when I was looking around on that site. I have a feeling someone will lowball my quote.
I just gave him my bid. I didn't post it on there so others could see it since I got to talk to him in person.

Steve
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Yea it makes you wonder if that is the best way to put together such a site. Because ultimately then it seems like the lowest price will win regardless of quality or competency or insurance etc.

FourSeasons
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Quote[/b] ]Because ultimately then it seems like the lowest price will win regardless of quality or competency or insurance etc.

Generally speaking thats probably right. But when I was looking around at the work in my area someone want a 7 level grade done in their yard and wanted some bids online before someone came to their house to look. How they gave estimates I don't know. Maybe they googled the adress or something.
Anyways they chose the guy with the highest bid instead of the lowest. Must depend on the person wanting the work done.
The lowest was $800 and the highest was 1500

Steve
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Well I guess keep on the watch because you never know where your next lead will come from right?

pmblair
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Something else about those kind of sites... I know for a FACT that on some of them, people have multiple accounts.

Let's just say I have 4 accounts... A, B, C and D.

I post a job with account A... then, about an hour later, I bid the same job with account B, and I make the bid the LOWEST amount I want to pay for my job... then people start lowballing... then I lowball them with accounts C and D until I finally pay a little of nothing on that job.

On the opposite side of the coin, I could just use B, C and D to draw interest to my job posted by account A....

One other scam... A is a contractor... B, C and D post jobs... A bids on all... A gets awarded all three jobs... then a month later, same thing... over and over again until A has a super high rating... helps him get more REAL bids...

See what I mean? Those scams were told to me by a "friend" (acquaintence) that lives in Michigan doing web design.

Steve
11-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Those are some great insights you shared with us and this information should help us be more wary of scams.

Thank you!