PDA

View Full Version : Other jobs

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
09-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Since large proportion of the folks that are self employed in this field are dependent on the seasons, I'm curious about what else we do to earn a living.

As an example, those in the north, besides plowing snow in the winter, what else do you do?

green touch
09-28-2007, 10:30 PM
i do work with my dad's roofin company most of the year.

Clean Lawn
10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
I run a restaurant and a comic store that are also mine.

Little's
10-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I shift my services to include falling trees (works good, cause I get paid to fall them, then I can sell the wood too). Land clearing to forestry regulations.

Clean Lawn
10-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I am considering adding cleaning gutters to my lawn care business does anyone have that as part of their lawn care business and if so how did you calculate what you would charge per job?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll be doing some inside demolition and renovation work in one of the larger Portland office buildings starting next month working with a friend of mine that needs the help. There are a couple of entire floors to be stripped clean.

I'm also a bail commissioner on call 24/7 for the Maine Judicial Court system. I set and receive bail with a fee for doing so.

Steve
10-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I have never heard of a bail commissioner before! Is that something similar to what a judge does? Do all court systems use them or how does that work?

pnplawn
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 05 2007,3:10)]I have never heard of a bail commissioner before! Is that something similar to what a judge does? Do all court systems use them or how does that work?
A bail commissioner, appointed under this section, shall set preconviction bail for a defendant in a criminal proceeding in accordance with this chapter, provided that a bail commissioner may not set preconviction bail for a defendant.

Read more HERE (http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/15/title15sec1023.html)

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
A Bail Comm. is an official of the court for the purposes of setting and accepting pre-conviction bail with a few exceptions.

The exceptions are murder, fugitive from justice, certain juvenile offenses, parole/probation violations, formerly capital offenses in which the DA requests a "Harnish hearing", and violations of conditions of release. These are all handled by a judge.

Also if bail is set on a warrant, I can't change it. Ditto if set by another bail comm. and he/she isn't available to accept it. Bail is cash and real estate for the purposes of secured bail. No checks, no Master Card, Visa, or American Express.....

I can also accept post-conviction bail set by a judge. This is commonly done in habeas corpus cases in which a defendant is granted bail while appealing a conviction. I haven't seen one yet.

I get $40 per bail. The only downside is the calls at 0300 AM. Also money has to be deposited within 3 days with the court. It has sometimes interfered with my mowing schedules as the banks open at 0830, the court at 0900. It seems like I never get home before 0930 to 1000 so I get a late start on a sometimes tight schedule.

I'm sworn in for the 10th District Court in York County, Maine. I do have statewide jurisdiction just the same.

Its not the same as bail bondsman. I don't put up any $$$ and then chase defendants down when the fail to show, like Dog the bounty hunter does. In fact, bounty hunters are illegal in Maine as they face kidnapping charges should they get caught scooping up anybody.

It keeps me plugged in to whats going on, about the only thing I miss about police work. The money is not that great, but it all adds up and makes a nice supplement.

I'm out the door for one now!

Steve
10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Do states that allow bounty hunting also have a bail commissioner?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-06-2007, 12:56 AM
I really don't know about states allowing both. Wouldn't surprise me if it's done.

Steve
10-06-2007, 10:31 AM
What is your view on the show Dog The Bounty Hunter?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I watched part of one show. Couldn't get into it so I never watched it again. Something about Dog and his minions that goes against my grain.

Wouldn't surprise me that he will crash and burn now that fame has gotten to his head. Came close in Mexico, lucky he's not in jail down there. Won't be long.

Steve
10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I have watched his shows. I guess the things I do like is that he has such an image. I mean its just so over the top they have halloween costumes of him and his wife.

The image and branding is huge!

It's gotta be rough having all that attention on you especially in the line of work he is in.

I am amazed every time I watch his show that this is all legal. LOL and then that he is probably getting a whole entire new generation of people to want to be similar to him and get into bounty hunting and build that image.

It's amazing what they have been able to come up with thus far. The entire show could be fake and I would still be amazed http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-03-2007, 06:22 AM
I predicted on 10-6-07 that Dog would crash and burn. Looks like that day has arrived with A&E suspending his show....

Steve
11-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the show will be put back on the air? It must have been a rough decision for A&E. I think the show was their top rated show!

pmblair
11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
You know, I'm a Christian... I try to live my life as a Christian...

Dog really get's me.... just before they leave to go after a bounty, they'll all get together, hold hands and pray.... then it's like "Amen........ now let's go get this Motherf****r"......

I liked him for a while, but when I really soaked his persona in, I couldn't stand him. Doesn't surprise me what he did, either... I hope they keep him off the air.

Steve
11-04-2007, 11:32 PM
It makes you wonder if part of him being so popular is that he is a polarizing individual. If he wasn't, maybe no one would care or talk about him.

FourSeasons
11-06-2007, 10:49 AM
He'll probably be back on just like Imus.
Some advertisers pulled out on his show on A&E just like advertisers did to Imus and cbs or whatever network he was on.
Now Imus is back on some where. I can't remember where.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Imus has been around for years whereas Dog is just a flash in the pan. Dog will only exist in reruns from this point on, IMO.

Little's
11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
You can take the dog out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the Dog.
He can pretend to be such a great person on TV, but he will always be his true self inside, he just proved that.
I have respect for people who are the same on and off the air, unlike Dog.

FourSeasons
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
He said in part of his apology something like - If i could kill myself as a way for people to accept my apology then thats what I would do. Or something close to that. What a idiot. I'm sure all the people he was refering negatively about would actually enjoy that! And he says to him - Come on, You know I'm not like that. He doesn't even know him.