PDA

View Full Version : possible extra work in your area

FourSeasons
10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I had a guy call me today from a company called Field Asset Services. They are based out of Austin ,Texas. He got my ad off of craigslist.
I guess what they do is maintain foreclosed homes and get them ready to be sold for the banks that have forclosed on them. They make sure that the properties are presentable looking and everything on the inside and out is ready for the house to be sold.
They contacted me wanting me to service and maintain several houses in my area. Unfortunately they were all just barely out of my service area. They also do winterizations on houses where they run antifreeze in the toilet and whatever else in suppose to be done. *They have one guy in my area contracted to work for them but he is way overloaded with work. He said about 50-60 houses to be taken care of. Thats why he was contacting me.

So I thought I would share this with you guys. If your slow and need some work contact these people and maybe they have residential properties in your area they need somebody to do for them. They are nationwide I think.
He said what they do is have you take before and after pics and send them to them to make sure the work is being done. And they will send someone out to train you on how to do the winterizaton service.

Their website is www.fieldassets.com.

Hope this helps some one out there.

Steve
10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Very interesting stuff!

How far away from you were these jobs?

Clean Lawn
10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks a ton fourseasons I'm going to check it out. We got a small pick up this week. Gained a new contract today, serviced another lawn with the potential to become a contracted customer and looks like we will be buying out a small lawn business of 13 accounts with the potential for a lot more leads in my area. We did some talk turkey today and I was the first person to make an offer and he was pleased with it and really has his stuff together. Seems to have a lot of work thrown his way but he is retiring and this is where we come in. Wish me lots and lots of luck. This is another day and a half of work for me putting me at 2 1/2 days work and we will be pushing almost 25 accounts for our first 4 months of business.
See I am reading what everyone says and putting it to good use. I set up a great new referal system, a webpage is going to be made this fall and not next spring, I am creating packages for lawn and landscaping work (which I will post once they are done because I want serious feedback on these) and I am pushing landscaping special prices off half off to get a new business some landscaping jobs (nothing yet but I just started it).
But thanks for the lead there has to be some in the Hampton Roads areas.

FourSeasons
10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
The closest one was in Seattle and thats about 30 minutes from me with no traffic. Usually about a 45 min drive I guess depending what part. The rest were even farther south. I would've like to told him yes but its just not cost effective.

It would have been nice to get my foot in the door but he took all of my information and told me he'll contact me when houses come up in my area. I'll probably call him in a month or so.

He was also asking about snow removal. This seemed to be important to him also.

pmblair
10-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the information, Fourseasons. I just sent them an email. I will post information as I get it.

Steve
10-19-2007, 02:00 AM
Well maybe at the very least they can keep you in mind if opportunities present themselves more in your area.

FourSeasons
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Quote[/b] ]looks like we will be buying out a small lawn business of 13 accounts with the potential for a lot more leads in my area. We did some talk turkey today and I was the first person to make an offer and he was pleased with it and really has his stuff together
How much are you paying for his 13 accts. I read some where that if they are not on contracts then each acct. is only good for what they are being charged for - for one month's services. I don't know about contracts though. I'm sure they're more valuable then.
I was just wodering. I've seen 2 people selling their lawn care businesses on craigslist. They were a little out of my price range. One guy wanted $6000 for 25 customers and his equipment.
Congratulations on the new customers though and good luck. I know thats got to be a relief. And your new truck to.

Quote[/b] ]Well maybe at the very least they can keep you in mind if opportunities present themselves more in your area.

He sounded very interested in using my services later. I told him I was interested in the winterization service and asked him how would I get trained to do these.
He wanted to know what county I lived in, the zip code, and the main city where I live (besides Seattle). And he was going to check out the area I live in.
Not just whats your name and number. Alright thanks. And then you know you'll never here from them.

FourSeasons
10-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the information, Fourseasons. *I just sent them an email. *I will post information as I get it.

I was just thinkin you might want to call them and try to talk to someone there about your area and services. Its kind of like just leaving a flyer on someone's door. Most of the time they just look at it and put it to the side or discard it. You get a better response and a chance to sell your services when you talk to them in person or in this case on the phone.
They will probably find the pressure washing as a plus with your service.

pmblair
10-19-2007, 08:28 AM
True.... I'll call them... just couldn't do it last night at 2am...lol

Clean Lawn
10-19-2007, 09:53 PM
$6000 for 25 accounts and equipment? Wow that is cheap. Basicly from everything I have read about buying accounts you can offer up to three months what the accounts are bringing in per month. The person I am talking with has a Z turn mower that is in great condition and only 2 years old, a 2 week old trailer (he paid $5700 for which was the biggest expense in buying from him), 2 backpack blowers, a push blower, push mower, 2 weed eaters, 1 stick edger, 1 billly goat lawn vacuum (this i like because i was going to buy one next year for fall clean-up), and 1 spreader. The accounts are all lawn service accounts and the current owner said they all pay for extra services...mulch, grass seeds, aeration, landscaping, etc...
But I would talk to the person selling his 25 accounts and equipment for the 6k. You could recoupe some of your costs in selling the equipment you do not need. We are going to sell the 2 week old trailer because we don't need it and that will be some of our cost.
This is the second business that has been for sale in my area. The first one I talked with the owner and he wanted $110,000 for a business, 2 new trucks and equipment that was worth $60,000-$70,000 and the $70,000 was if someone was feeling overly generous.
After reading a lot of what people were saying with Moseley Creek we are having our webpage done as soon as possible, revamped our referal service (which I think our customers are going to really like), working on lawn service and landscaping packages to push this spring and I want to really work on flier, postcards, etc... and push CleanLawn over and over again this fall and coming new year. I would really like to take my small business to an entire new level. I am hoping to turn 25 accounts into 50+ accounts this spring with a lot of longer hours working on great ideas I have from everyone here.
I also e-mail regarding the webpage you left here that contacted you and hope to find some leads for the Hampton Roads area.
I would like to ask what I consider the veteran lawn service providers that have been doing this for more than 5+ years how they found out about city jobs that become available for bidding and property managers for different areas? I know there are so many different places I could look for leads but get dead ends, for construction companies...I would love to work with one and get my landscaping going but I cannot get past the words I ask regarding where to go to find out. Also, people keep saying to buy lists for direct mailing, where are these lists because I am driving around neighborhoods and finding great places to put out fliers, postcards, etc... but there has to be an easier way then writting down every street name and house number.

pnplawn
10-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Quote[/b] (Clean Lawn @ Oct. 19 2007,10:53)]$6000 for 25 accounts and equipment? Wow that is cheap. Basicly from everything I have read about buying accounts you can offer up to three months what the accounts are bringing in per month. The person I am talking with has a Z turn mower that is in great condition and only 2 years old, a 2 week old trailer (he paid $5700 for which was the biggest expense in buying from him), 2 backpack blowers, a push blower, push mower, 2 weed eaters, 1 stick edger, 1 billly goat lawn vacuum (this i like because i was going to buy one next year for fall clean-up), and 1 spreader. The accounts are all lawn service accounts and the current owner said they all pay for extra services...mulch, grass seeds, aeration, landscaping, etc...
But I would talk to the person selling his 25 accounts and equipment for the 6k. You could recoupe some of your costs in selling the equipment you do not need. We are going to sell the 2 week old trailer because we don't need it and that will be some of our cost.
This is the second business that has been for sale in my area. The first one I talked with the owner and he wanted $110,000 for a business, 2 new trucks and equipment that was worth $60,000-$70,000 and the $70,000 was if someone was feeling overly generous.
After reading a lot of what people were saying with Moseley Creek we are having our webpage done as soon as possible, revamped our referal service (which I think our customers are going to really like), working on lawn service and landscaping packages to push this spring and I want to really work on flier, postcards, etc... and push CleanLawn over and over again this fall and coming new year. I would really like to take my small business to an entire new level. I am hoping to turn 25 accounts into 50+ accounts this spring with a lot of longer hours working on great ideas I have from everyone here.
I also e-mail regarding the webpage you left here that contacted you and hope to find some leads for the Hampton Roads area.
I would like to ask what I consider the veteran lawn service providers that have been doing this for more than 5+ years how they found out about city jobs that become available for bidding and property managers for different areas? I know there are so many different places I could look for leads but get dead ends, for construction companies...I would love to work with one and get my landscaping going but I cannot get past the words I ask regarding where to go to find out. Also, people keep saying to buy lists for direct mailing, where are these lists because I am driving around neighborhoods and finding great places to put out fliers, postcards, etc... but there has to be an easier way then writting down every street name and house number.
First off let me say from a veteran lawn service provider. I want you to understand this, its coming from the bottom of my heart cause I know, I saw local LCO get over his head and lost alot of clients. You say you want 25+ more acounts. First off I want to say do you have enough help, Equipment? If you do not you will find your self doing what I see alot here is Mow N Go! You will be in such of a hurry durning the mowing season to get the job done cause you want to keep up, ( Cause its rain 3 days out the 7 days you have in a week) and your work will start slipping and Customers will notice. So be aware not to get to much so your work in other area's start slipping. If you lose one account from poor work habits you will lose more. I know from seeing this other LCO doing that all this summer, NOW he lost some BIG commercial accounts that he had for few years. So when you start growing just remember the guy that got your business going. Just because you have 50+ accounts does not mean you have to forget about the ones that got you started.

Just me rambling

Rodman
PNP

Clean Lawn
10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Right now we are small. My lawn care business before the purchase of the 13+ accounts is running one day a week every week and we have Saturdays free for any additional work or for a rain day. When the purchase happens we will have another 8 hour work day or we can split it and make it 3 easy work days. That is where the 2 and a 1/2 work days came into play. I talk to the few customers I have as often as possible without being annoying to them and make sure they are always happy with the work they request of my business. So, even with this purchase I am by no means going to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. As for the helpers/workers. My husband, our partner and myself work the business and they love it when I give them one or two addresses each week to go to for lawn estimates or for a one day job.
As per the 50+ accounts I am not there yet but I would love to be there in the near future. I am working on several things for the business which I think will be very profitable for us and very much for the benefit of my customers.
I tell my customers all the time how much I appreciate them having us service their lawns for them because without them, I am nothing. They are the greatest!