PDA

View Full Version : How to bid

mowboy
09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Randy asked the following question about how to bid for jobs.

Quote[/b] ]How to bid? Do it by foot or by manhour?

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the question - it is one that comes up a lot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can do it justice in a forum post because it is a hefty topic.

Below are a couple of pointers for you to think about. My book - Start & Run a Landscaping Business - covers the topic of pricing much more extensively so I would suggest reading that too.

In short though - you should definitely have an hourly rate but avoid using it. You want to quote quality - not time. In other words it's better to say "I'll perform these set of services, to your satisfaction, for $50" than to say "I'll spend an hour at your house for $50". Of course, you can use your hourly rate to based your price on but we don't need to pass those pricing details on to the customer. We don't need people watching the clock and as you get better at your job and shave a few minutes off of it - that should be to your advantage.

Many jobs, such as fertilizers and overseeding, I quoted per 1000 square feet. Others I based on a hourly rate but did not tell the customer it was based on time.

I do not believe there is a set rule to cover all situations but I hope these guidelines help.

Happy bidding!