PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I won't be mowing this Wednesday. Going on three years now I have been the chairman of the Biddeford Pool 4th of July Parade. So I'll be there with a 1931 Model A Ford Sedan like I have for the past six years.

I'll attempt to remember to bring a digital camera so I can post some photos of the event. It has the flavor of a small village/town event where all have a good time.

Biddeford Pool is part of Biddeford, Maine. It was part of my patrol beat the last six years of my career. (Handed in my resignation/retirement letter July 4th, 2006)

Steve
07-02-2007, 11:33 PM
WOW! That sounds like a blast. I'd love to see some pics!
Do you do any business marketing while you are there?
Is that your Ford?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
I will be yukking it about my business when the opportunities come up, so it will interesting to see if I'm able to land a few more customers.

The car belonged to my friend's wife's uncle that retired to Florida. He found it found in a field with a tree growing up through it in up state Maine about 20 years prior to moving . Better than 95% of the car was there. The uncle restored it and drove it all over the place to shows and for pleasure. He even re-did the babbitting for the engine bearings. Talk about a lost art.

My friend bought the car from the uncle about 7 years ago. He was terminal with cancer and wanted it to stay in the family if possible.

I towed it back to Maine in conjunction with a vacation to Florida. The deal was I wanted the car once a year for a couple of days to drive around in. I've put it in the parade ever since.

I almost always have to make a repair to it, one year it was the exhaust, another it was a window, one time it was wiring, and so on. I think that's why he lets me have it....

Its kinda rare in its a sedan and the front windshield opens by pivoting from a piano hinge on the top of it. Its a real hoot to drive and cruise the shore line. Its not a museum piece which makes it more relaxing to drive...

Steve
07-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I want to see it http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/4thofjuly4.gif

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I celebrated the Fourth by taking two glider lessons at a local glider port. We soared with some black vultures at about 3000'...amazing.

The instructor taught me how to find thermals by using my nose (sense of smell.) For an example, if you smell popcorn when you are soaring, you know there is a thermal rising from a movie theater parking lot. So, you fly your way over to the parking lot and ride that thermal as high as it will take you.

Great experience.

Steve
07-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Oh How awesome! Did you take video too? That would be amazing to include in future shows.

I love the picture! Do you have anymore?

StartALawnCareBusiness
07-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Yes, I did take along my video camera. I put together a 20 minute DVD of the flights. The owner of the Gliderport is interested in using it as a promotional piece to bring in new students.

I have a package of material I've been meaning to send you. I'll put it all together, along with the glider vid, and ship it out Monday.

You're welcome to use the video as you see fit.

Have a great week:

Keith

Steve
07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I am looking forwards to it!

Thank you!