PDA

View Full Version : Storm picture

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
An example of what my customers had to evade...

Steve
05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
WOW! Did you take that picture? What was going on in your area?

Was there much damage? Was there much clean up?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
05-14-2007, 01:05 PM
It was a large coastal storm during April 13-14. Couldn't have come at a worse time as the tides were astronomically high due to the lunar phase. The storm surge pushed it even higher. The winds were near hurricane force with gusts over 75 mph. So for 2 hrs before and after 2 high tides, it was pretty wild. This is pretty much what all the waves were like, some blowing over the tops of houses like this picture.

The photo was taken by a friend at the end of Hills Beach Road, Biddeford, Maine. Its an exposed section that takes a beating more often than not, but this time is was a real ball buster. These waves have to thread their way in between islands and still had this much energy!

The total damages for the entire southern Maine area, coastal and inland, are expected to be somewhere in the vicinity of $200 million or more. Houses were destroyed or severely damaged, roads washed out, flooding everywhere, and power outages made it even worse.

FEMA has several offices open for help in mitigating damages, low interest loans and more.

I've spent quite a bit of time picking up rocks from coastal customer's lawns, still am for that matter. Most of my customers fared well compared to the rest of the neighbors. Cleanups are still ongoing as fallen trees are still waiting to be cut up, debris hauled off, and so on. People are still waiting for insurance money to come in to get repairs and cleanups going.

Most of the out of state owners have yet to show up to asses damages. That will start another round of claims and cleanups/repairs.

Steve
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
That is pretty amazing. I missed the news about that when it first happened! I do hope people are able to settle their claims and rebuild what they need to.

tiedeman
05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
That is a pretty amazing picture