PDA

View Full Version : Mower Question

qzf2qk
04-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I am looking for a recommendation for a mower. I am just starting a lawn care business and would like to buy a decent self propelled mower. I have been looking at John Deere, Troy Bilt and Craftsman. I talked to someone today who said the John Deere is a bad choice. I am leaning towards the Troy Bilt RWD Electric start. I am only planning on about 15 yards this year. Any Suggestions?

myrlin
04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
A good use o turn mower. to start

Barry

tiedeman
04-25-2007, 07:35 PM
If you are just starting out and not sure how long you will be in the business why not start out cheap, go with a craftsmen then. Sure, it's not a top of a line mower, but its better to buy a $1,000 mower then invest in a $8,000 mower.

myrlin
04-26-2007, 06:39 AM
if your heart not in it. dont go in the bness.all you are doing is stead from that are.

Barry

qzf2qk
04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
My heart is in it, I just do not have the funds to dump a lot of money in right now. I am starting out slow and plan to be mowning full time in about two years.

myrlin
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Well that good. I wish you lot of luck. Where are you from. I am in port charlotte fl we mow all year long.that why i said if your heart isnt in to it. it hard work and hot.

Good luck
Barry

Steve
04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi qzf2qk,

Welcome to the forum. Keep your expenses dirt cheap and only use equipment you can afford. Grow step by step and build up as you can afford it.

What are you doing for your marketing this year?

qzf2qk
04-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I have created a flyer that I will be passing out with a free mowing with 6 month service agreement. I have provided a flyer and business cards to my mother in law to put in her beauty shop. I am also going to place flyers at the local grocery store and gas gas station. In addition, I am working on my website. http://www.thompsonslawnsolutions.com

I did purchase a new mower this weekend. Troy Bilt 21" RWD electric start. I figure it should get me through this year.

qzf2qk
04-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Myrlin,
I am located in North Texas so I will be mowing pretty much year round. I am ready for the hot days.

Steve
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi qzf2qk,

You know having your mother in law owning a beauty salon may help you with co-marketing.

You could make up a door hanger with your ad nad coupons on one side and then put her's on the back with coupons.

I bet if you sat down for a moment and thought about it, you could come up with a lot of ideas for co-marketing.

What are some of your thoughts on this?

qzf2qk
04-30-2007, 08:05 AM
I had thought about doing something like this but she may be retiring soon and is not looking for any new clients.

turf rat
05-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I started with a residential zero turn mower. It is still a timesaver, but the price is a lot cheaper. As my business grows, I will upgrade to a commercial mower.

Fresh Cut
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I started with a residential zero turn mower. It is still a timesaver, but the price is a lot cheaper. As my business grows, I will upgrade to a commercial mower.

Don't know that I've ever seen a "residential zero turn mower".

Can you post pictures of it or post the brand and model #?

How much was it? Did you buy it new or used?

SuperiorPower
06-05-2009, 07:06 PM

How much was it? Did you buy it new or used?

Very likely you have but you were just not aware that it was a consumer or residential grade. Some examples are Toro Timecutter Z or pretty much any Zero Turn that is sold in a box store. Box stores very seldom sell anything that is truly and thoroughly a commercial machine. They are not trying to sell anything that is going to last long. If they did, they would not sell that many machines. Sell a cheap product, it will need replaced every several years and they hope the customer will come back to buy another one from them!!

Steve W
06-05-2009, 07:29 PM

What I go by is the deck. If it is a stamped deck I consider that being residental. A welded deck is a commercial.
And another thing I feel is that the deck should always have some type of added lip around the bottom for reenforcement.
But I do own an old Dixon 4421 ztr. I like it but the tansaxle is starting to wear out on me now. I would like to find a new transaxle.

SuperiorPower
06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
What I go by is the deck. If it is a stamped deck I consider that being residental. A welded deck is a commercial.
And another thing I feel is that the deck should always have some type of added lip around the bottom for reenforcement.
But I do own an old Dixon 4421 ztr. I like it but the tansaxle is starting to wear out on me now. I would like to find a new transaxle.

This is a decent general rule but not even all of the "commercial" units seem to have welded decks. The manufacturers seem to not care if they tell you when their products are only consumer grade. There is so much going on behind the scenes at this point.