PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever?

pnplawn
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey all

Anyone ever get your mower to close to a lake get it stuck? I did today and it was not fun getting it out. I was near Major HWY with Guard Rail in between me and the lake. Major HWY at that. Traffic very busy. was about 200feet from the road. I played around for hour trying to wedge it with a 2x12 only move it few inches. Water, Mucky mud. Then I noticed a truck pull up it was, South West Florida Water Management. It was lady, She said I have a winch I can try to pull you out. So she pulled her truck up on the side walk and I pulled the cable down to the lake where my mower was we got it out. Her Co-Worker stoped and directed traffic so we could block one lane. I was happy camper. I couldnt thank them enough. I tryed to pay them but they wouldnt take any money.

Steve
04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I think last year our forum member Kurt - kc2006 had a problem too with mowing too close to water. I am going to PM him and see if it was him.

Did you happen to have your camera on you when you got stuck?

kc2006
04-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh you remember my mess up TG http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I was mowing a commercial property and theres a pretty good size ditch that runs all along the property. Somehow I was too close and the ground gave way. The mower ended up slipping in the ditch which was about a foot and a half deep in that area. I was maybe 15 feet from the road and luckily no cars were going by because when the mower went in the blades dug in the ground and shot dirt/gravel everywhere. After the incident I realized what I did. I had moved the seat forward on the mower which through off my judgement. It's amazing how we get so used to the mowers that we just know where we can and can't go, then you change one little thing and your judgement is off. I ended up getting my truck and I always have a chain with me, so I pulled the mower out with the truck. Someone stopped to see if I wanted help but I said no thanks, I instantly thought that'd be bad letting someone get in my truck or sit on the mower and get hurt.

It's also amazing how when something like that happens, you forget all safety. I remember putting my foot out to the side like I was going to stop something, but really if the mower would of tipped my leg could of went under it. It also took a good 5 seconds to realize to shut the blades off. After that day, I realized it'd just be better to spend an extra couple of minutes trimming then trying to get an inch away from the ditch :blush:

tiedeman
04-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I almost had a mower go into a small lake once. The safety shutoff switch came undone and it didn't shut off and just kept on heading for the lake. I grabbed it just in time though and steered it out of the way.

I have only had the mower stuck ever once really bad. Same situation with a ditch area. It took three of us to get the mower out of about a foot deep mud.

sts2660
04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I got stuck 2 times last year.The first customer has a man made lake in the middle of his yard probably 75 ft round.I was cutting on the incline and got too close the the water and the rear slid down to the waters edge.Luckily a buddy was in the same subdivision and came over with a tow rope.

The second time i was cutting too close to the culvert and felt the rear sliding sideways.Even though I stopped the blades and tried steering out the whole mower turned so the rear wheels were sitting in the bottom of the culvert.
I had to pull my truck on the lawn and pull it out.

pnplawn
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
I getting a 12V Winch, with like 200ft cable and I am going to be installing it on my truck soon. Ill post some photos as I install it.