PDA

View Full Version : First House

tiedeman
02-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, my wife and I have been renting now going on the last 6 to 7 years either a townhouse or a house. We finally decided that it was time to move onto a house of our own.

We have already been approved for a nice loan amount, and now it is basically house hunting time. We would like to close on a house within the next month, and move into it within the next 3 months. That might be asking for a lot, but we have a bug and won't take no for an answer.

Any advice out there from current home owners?

KimKriel
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Get a home inspection when you find the one you want, it is a great price barganing tool. (If it needs any repairs you can haggle the price down) If the house is older and they wont agree with a home inspection that would be a red flag.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Watch the movie "Money Pit" first....;)

KimKriel
02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Something else you might want to consider(since living in MI) is check on the school district see if it is in trouble financially(if so they will be going for millage increase). Our school got the millage then 1 year later had to shut down but you guessed it were still paying the TAXES.
I also suggest if your moving into a subdivision is to find out if they have an HOA, if so get they're info so you now their rules. (WE KNOW WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT THEY CAN BE).