PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Steve
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
When you look back at Hurricane Katrina, do you have the feeling like the insurance companies totally dropped the ball?

Now State Farm is no longer accepting any new policies either commercial or residential in Mississippi.

What's your take on that?

State Farm: No new home policies in Miss. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17150886/) - State Farm Insurance Cos. is suspending sales of any new commercial or homeowner policies in Mississippi starting Friday, citing in part a wave of litigation it has faced since Hurricane Katrina, a company official said Wednesday.

Mike Fernandez, vice president of public affairs for State Farm, said Mississippi’s “current legal and political environment is simply untenable. We’re just not in a position to accept any additional risk in this homeowners’ market.”

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060727/060727_insurance_hmed_12p.hmedium.jpg

tiedeman
02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I can many insurance companies stop doing that. Or even stop providing any coverage for floods, tornadoe, hurricane, etc. They will only cover fire.

Steve
02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
It is going to get more interesting. If you can't get insurance in flood zones, will it then effect building in flood zones?

tiedeman
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Ok, I don't want to hurt anybodys feelings, but this is my feeling about it. If you house is constantly destroyed by Hurricanes and floods, then perhaps you need to move. Yes, 99% of the problem in Katrina was nobodies fault because the levies broke, but if you are in a flood area that constantly gets flooded, then you need to move.

If it keeps happening to you over and over again, why are you still there in a Hurricane area or high flood area. If you choose to live there, then you need to take the responsibility that insurance companies will no longer have coverage for you there.

Steve
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
What I am thinking is that it is going to be very difficult in the future to build in certain areas based on the ability to find insurance coverage or not.

southernslang
02-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Quote[/b] (tiedeman @ Feb. 14 2007,7:39)]Ok, I don't want to hurt anybodys feelings, but this is my feeling about it. *If you house is constantly destroyed by Hurricanes and floods, then perhaps you need to move. *Yes, 99% of the problem in Katrina was nobodies fault because the levies broke, but if you are in a flood area that constantly gets flooded, then you need to move.

If it keeps happening to you over and over again, why are you still there in a Hurricane area or high flood area. *If you choose to live there, then you need to take the responsibility that insurance companies will no longer have coverage for you there.
Why dose everybody keep saying that?
every region faces disasters, And somebody somewhere else always says, how can those people live like that.
the reason we live here is the same reason people still get on airplanes.our goverment leads Americanes to beleave that we are safe and the truth is where not. no matter where you live there is some type of disaster, natural or unnatural that causes devistation year after year.
and your right if we want to live here we just have to deal without haveing private inssurance protection.
But as long as F.E.M.A President Bush, the army corps and our local goverment keeps telling that there going to make thing right they need to take place as our inssurance every time we face devistation.