PDA

View Full Version : Winter projects?

Steve
12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Do you have any winter projects you will be working on this year?

tiedeman
12-04-2006, 08:41 AM
I did want to rebuild an old 15Hp Kaw engine. But I may say forget it

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
I am remodeling the downstairs in my house this winter. It is actually an ongoing project and this winter I will be putting the finishing touches on it by installing the pergo flooring.

Steve
12-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Quote[/b] (John/Logo-Mechanix @ Dec. 04 2006,9:43)]I am remodeling the downstairs in my house this winter. It is actually an ongoing project and this winter I will be putting the finishing touches on it by installing the pergo flooring.
Sounds like fun stuff!

Whats the toughest part of the remodeling you have run into thus far?

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Drywall!!!!!! I hate putting up drywall but I hate spackling even more, I can do it but since it's not something I do for a living or frequently I am soooooo slow at it. I actually had thoughts of hiring someone to do just that part, but I have trouble paying someone to do something I am confident I can do myself. Don't get me wrong if I don't think it's something I can tackle on my own or I am unsure of my ability to do it I will call someone.

Steve
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
It seems a real tough part of hanging drywall is trying to get the seems to flow from one piece to the next. That takes a lot of skill.

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-05-2006, 03:07 PM
That is the toughest part without a doubt, and I can do it I am just real slow. There was only one spot where a seem was noticable, I tried to fix it but just gave up, noboby but me will probobly ever even notice it. The pergo flooring has been real easy and pretty quick going down.

Steve
12-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Did you have to put anything down under the flooring? Was it laid on concrete?

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-06-2006, 11:14 AM
It was on a concrete floor and I had to put down a moisture barrier, which is a fancy word for some thick plastic, but the nice thing about the Pergo I used is it already has the foam rubber type backing on each individual piece. That stuff is so easy to work with, you just start at one end and snap it together, you only have to cut the 2 opposite ends. One side you do have to do a rip so a table saw with a 180 tooth saw blade is the way to go. I did a whole room about 12 x 15 in a weekend and am now adding the moulding around the outer edge of the floor.

Steve
12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Well you certainly sound very handy! Did you ever do construction work in the past?

Do you have any pics you can post of the project?

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-06-2006, 03:29 PM
I have never done that kind of work professionally but I like doing my own work on my house, I find it's very rewarding and you save a ton of money. The drawback is it takes alot longer doing it yourself. I will take some pics as rooms are finished and get a link up for them, the first room is just about done.

Steve
12-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Looking forwards to it!