PDA

View Full Version : War Protesters

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 07:54 PM
What is your opinion on this article?Soldiers Protest (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=113221&ran=130691)

Steve
10-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Great article. I think it is democracy in action.

How do politicians know when they have gone too far? When the voting public rebels against it. That is my view at least.

What's your take?

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
My opinion is that we as non-military citizens can only do so much or say so much. With military members speaking up, it shows that they are in the favor of a change just like the majority of us. At least that is my opinion.

I have never served in the military, but my father was in Vietnam and I personally have seen the effectives on military. He stepped on a land mine; lost one leg, two fingers, and has very bad scars and damage done to the back of his "good" leg. Over 30 years later since he was hurt, my father is still getting skin graphing done. So I feel for those that are injuried or family members that live with military members that are hurt. It's time to get the troops home.

Steve
10-25-2006, 08:25 PM
When you talk with him, does he see alot of similarities between the Gulf War and Vietnam?

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Yes, I feel he does. I get the idea that he pretty much thinks that both of the wars are pointless with no victory in site.

Steve
10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
It makes you wonder can we force democracy on a nation and should we?

Did Iraq attack us?
Did Vietnam attack us?

The midterm elections coming up in a few weeks are really going to shake things up in Washington.

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I am actually looking forward to the elections this year. We need a new sense of direction with the war, and the country as a whole

Steve
10-25-2006, 09:34 PM
It's nice that we have elections to allow us to get change when we feel it's needed!

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-26-2006, 07:50 AM
My feeling is, we all have the right to disagree or protest, this is a free country. But if anybody deserves that right more than others it's the people who are doing the fighting. I have to be honest though the Dems really scare me with some of their thinking, in this day and age we cannot just sit back and let the chips fall where they may. After September 11th we found out that what happens in distant countries can have an effect on us here if we don't act preemptively.