PDA

View Full Version : CRT or Flat Screen?

Steve
10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Have you recently bought a monitor for your computer or television?

Was it a CRT or a flat screen?

It seems you can still get some good deals on CRTs but the flat screen prices have fallen dramatically.

Flat-panels rule, old boob tube all but dead (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/10/23/tube.tv.decline.ap/index.html) - The lone conventional television set at Anderson's TV store sat along a side wall like a castoff. Its screen was dark as dozens of other gleaming flat-panel and big-screen models flashed nearby with vivid color images.

The staff at the Redwood City store hadn't even bothered to turn on the cathode-ray tube TV until a reporter asked to see it on a recent afternoon.

The obvious neglect reflected the wallflower status of today's CRT TVs, as well as the mature technology's doomed future. Experts say the old-fashioned boob tube that catered to generations of Americans will soon be all but extinct.

"It's already dead, but it doesn't know it yet," said Jon Paul Belstler, an audio/video consultant at Anderson's. "It's just trying to hang on."

Across stores and in homes, sleek LCD and plasma televisions are taking over.

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-25-2006, 08:09 AM
I have a picture tube TV but I have an LCD flat screen for my computer. While prices have come down on the TV's I have trouble justifying $1,200 for a television.

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree about not paying that much for a tv.

I have an LCD screen for my computer as well. Switched over to it back in 2005, and love it to death. I even switched my wifes computer over to an LCD. I feel that the picture and color quality is better, and also puts less strain on my eyes