PDA

View Full Version : $100 gas tax rebate?

Steve
05-03-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't think most people wanted this. They just wanted the cost of gas to get under control. What's your view?

Senate GOP backs off $100 gas rebate proposal

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/02/oil.congress.ap/index.html) - Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, under pressure from business leaders, retreated Monday from a plan that would have used a tax increase on oil companies and other businesses to pay for a $100 gasoline rebate for millions of motorists.

tiedeman
05-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree. Like a news anchor said, "A $100?" "Give me a break, that is how much it takes me to fill up my vehicle one day."

Steve
05-03-2006, 08:09 PM
What do you feel should be done about this?

tiedeman
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I personally feel that at least drop the federal tax for a short period of time until they figure out a better long term approach. That would save people 19 cents per gallon. Just imagine being able to save $5 each time you fill up your vehicle because the federal tax isn't there.

I personally feel want needs to be done is a mulitple approach. Here are some subtle and extreme ideas:
1. I hate to say this, but they need to open up more oil drilling places here in the states and also build some more refineries for we are not dependent on foreign oil that much.

2. Start to give consumers much larger tax breaks for buying hybrid cars.

3. Increase production of hybrid cars and get extreme. Make it manditory that 90% of production of cars must be only hybrid cars by 2025.

4. Do not give more fuel breaks to businesses for mileage. Actually decrease it. This will start to make businesses make drastic changes to their operation and how they travel.

5. Offer both gas station owners, and gas companies more tax breaks if they can decrease the cost pasted onto the consumer. If they raise taxes, this will just cause the tax company to increase their price. It's a no win situation.

6. Give fuel discounts to car poolers.

7. Increase more public transportation, decrease the amount of vehicles on the road by having people take the subway, bus, train, etc.

8. Give tax breaks to people that buy bikes and ride them to work.

I feel that if you keep on babying the consumers with more and more breaks, then they will still be dependent on gasoline. Instead, give discounts or tax breaks to those that don't use gasoline.