PDA

View Full Version : Internet Protection

tiedeman
04-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Internet providers like AT&T and Verizon are lobbying Congress hard to gut Network Neutrality, the Internet's First Amendment. Net Neutrality prevents AT&T from choosing which websites open most easily for you based on which site pays AT&T more.

Steve
04-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I think it would be a bad move to do get away from network neutrality. But I am sure AT&T would love to screw a good thing up. Look what they did with their business. They lost a lot of money with the phone industry. They lost even more money with the cable business and now they want to mess up the internet.

tiedeman
04-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I always thought that AT&T is trying to get into the cable business more than anything else. But yes, it's basically taking away free speech I feel if they do that.

The funny thing, I think that AT&T already do something like block other websites. I currently use them as an internet provider and there are some sites that won't load or sometimes the browser will close on me automatically. It's a real pain!

Steve
04-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't put it past them.

A few years ago, AT&T had to sell their cable interests because they were losing so much money.