PDA

View Full Version : Seven major studios line up to sell movies online

Steve
04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Why is it the studios constantly fail to understand the internet?

The movie industry is set to sell you movies you can then keep and store on your computer however there is a catch. The quality won't be as good. You don't get the physical dvd in a dvd box AND you pay more for it.

Does this make any sense to you?

Seven major studios line up to sell movies online

Take “Memoirs of a Geisha” for example. After quick ride to BestBuy, a consumer can purchase the widescreen 2 disc special edition for $19.99. On Movielink, the same title costs $25.99.

Not only do both these services generally cost more than the actual physical DVD, they are compounded with a laundry list of restrictions.

First, once the 1.5 gigabyte file is downloaded, the user cannot burn the movie to a playable DVD. In order to play the movie on a TV, the consumer must have a video card with S-video out, not to mention a compatible TV. There’s also a question of quality, which is undoubtedly good, yet at 1.5 gigabytes is not an exact DVD replicate (most DVDs are either 4.5 or 9 gigabytes.) Downloaded movies cannot be played on portable devices such as the iPod, PSP or PDAs. The consumer can however transfer the movie to three alternative PCs.

tiedeman
04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't agree with that. They should be able to be played on numerous media devices. If they do not want to provide a hard copy to the consumer, then sell them for $9.99.

tiedeman
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I will tell you what I thought of, that I discussed with my wife about a year ago. I personally think that someone, such as XBOX 360, should have a feature where you can log onto their network, buy and download games into your gaming system. The same with movies. Then they are already stored right there on the hard drive, and all you have to do is open them up to play them or watch them. Simple and easy.

Steve
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
That's an ingenius idea! I would totally be into that.