PDA

View Full Version : Today's post on Craigslist

gotta_mow
06-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Today I posted the following on my local craigslist (the only place I advertise) I have had 81 visits to my craigslist ad since midnight.

"Gotta Mow will NOT be accepting new clients today!! Wanna know why?"

My craigslist ad (http://columbus.craigslist.org/lbs/720376036.html)

I have also essentially shut down my website so that customers can not go to any of my other pages except my modified front page. I am trying to provoke thoughts here.

Ben

EatingEmoKids
06-15-2008, 05:43 PM
hey I think thats a good idea.. although may have done it different.. Let us know if this gets you any clients tho!

Just as a warning, by changing your site and index page like that for seo reasons you could lose ranking.. although one day shouldnt hurt it but it could... also maybe could have left an email form or address on the front page so that people could still send you emails and contact you.. by tomorrow they may have forgotten all about your site..

on another note.. thats a very nice thing you did for your dad http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

gotta_mow
06-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks Matt

Steve
06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Ben,

I included your ad here so everyone can see it.

You can include images too either by attaching them or using this code.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

[img]http://www.gottamowohio.com/images/052508-craigslist/fathersday.gif[/img]

[/QUOTE]

I do think what you did was very thought provoking and I am glad you did this.

If you can, could you share with us how losing your father has effected your life? I think it would help others really take a moment and reflect on their lives.

http://www.gottamowohio.com/images/052508-craigslist/fathersday.gif

Here is the image of Ben's dad from his site.

http://gottamowohio.com/images/testimages/fathersday1.gif

musician/lawnman
06-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Ben,

*I think what you did was beautiful. It was great way to salute your father even in his absence. *
*Fitting that I find this post now as am awake because I can't sleep. *I can't get my father off my mind. *I lost him November 16th, 2006 also to pancriatic cancer. *It's an ugly, vicious, painful way to go & I'm sorry to hear your father suffered the same fate.
*The video you made was great, I'm sorry I have to say I couldn't stand to watch it all, as I could se the same look of pain & weakness in your fathers face that my father wore for his final years.
*I haven't cried in a while, so in a way, I suppose I thank you. *I needed to get that out sooner or later...
God bless.

I miss you dad. *Happy Father's Day.

Chuck Cantasano III
1956-2006

gotta_mow
06-16-2008, 01:19 AM
I reverted my site back to normal but the fathers day page lives on here for anyone Fathers day page of Gotta Mow (http://www.gottamowohio.com/fathersday.htm)

Ben

gotta_mow
06-16-2008, 01:49 AM
*************This is long and perhaps rambling so skip it if you wish, Once I got started I could not stop.*************

Thanks Chuck,
I have not watched the video in a while and then watched it a lot last night.

My dad was/ is my biggest supporter and he was diagnosed with this terrible cancer when he was only 48 years old. I was only 24 when he was diagnosed and did not realize the seriousness of what he had.

In November 1996 my wife (then fiancée) had been engaged for 4 years and just chugging along enjoying life. My dad went in for some tests and it was discovered that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer. The doctors told him that most likely he would have at best, that Christmas. The doctors performed a surgery called a Whipple, where they cut out most of your insides. He lost 60% of his pancreas, part of his intestines, part of his stomach and some other stuff. He spent several months in the hospital due to the surgery and the complications that arose (sponges left in him and such). I took the time off work and stayed with him at the hospital. Feeding him, giving him baths, and talking to him. We became closer than we ever had been and I really got to know him. I saw how grateful he was to just be alive. The hospital had people come to talk to him regarding an easy win malpractice suit that they were sure he would file. But he didn’t. He truly was happy to be alive 3 months after the doctors told him he would be gone. They felt they had removed all the cancer and they told him if he stayed clean until the 5 year mark he could consider it beaten.

Well Melissa and I quit putting off the marriage and set a date. My dad was my best man. Melissa got pregnant with the first grandson, who became the very best friend to my dad.

Ok getting hard to tell the story.

Short version becomes that we were cheated for loosing my dad so early but also blessed to have him for 10 extra years. He witnessed a marriage, 2 grandsons, me opening my business, closing my business and more. I was at his house the night he died. My step mom was in bed with him and my aunt and I were in the living room. We had a baby monitor set up to listen. I heard him take his last breath and then after waiting had to wake everyone to let them know. I could not sleep so I was awake and just listening.

Being the older of 2 sons I took it upon myself to be strong for the family and with the planning. I did not cry much then and did not seem to mourn on the outside. Though I was devastated inside. I did and still do have temper issues, I now cry easily for the stupidest of things (music can set me off easily)

There have been so many things in the past year that I wanted to talk over with my dad but have not been able to. I try to live each day and make my decisions based on what would make him proud or what he would do.

My dad was seldom seen angry or mad, would always go out of his way to help, and was the most knowledgeable person I have ever know. He often told me that if you have 2 or 3 close friends then you have all you need. I saw during his final days and at the funeral, that my dad in living the life he had lived had the 2 or 3 good friends twenty times over. There were hundreds of people at the funeral and so many of them were his true friends.

Steve
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Do you think that going through such an experience changes you in positive ways?

Quote[/b] ]me opening my business, closing my business and more.

Did you open your business multiple times?

Do you think you push yourself to succeed more now than others that haven't gone through such situations?

Do you enjoy your life more or try to at least?

gotta_mow
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ June 16 2008,3:27)]Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Do you think that going through such an experience changes you in positive ways?

Do you think you push yourself to succeed more now than others that haven't gone through such situations?

Do you enjoy your life more or try to at least?
Quote[/b] ]Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Well it opens your eyes. *I see how short life is and how much of it my dad was cheated out of. *It breaks my heart to see an elderly couple enjoying retirement and think that my dad and stepmom will never get to experience that.

My first business was a one hour photolab with digital imaging center and graphic design center. *I left the police force to open it (I was going to make a million or at least a good living) After stugleing at that for a few yeras we closed down and I went to work for the Ohio Department of Transportation. *Then this year decided to go into business in lawn care part time.

Quote[/b] ]Do you think you push yourself to succeed more now than others that haven't gone through such situations?
Not really, I am more realistic in my expectations and more careful. *I try to work to live not live to work.

Quote[/b] ]Do you enjoy your life more or try to at least?

Yes I do. *I make the most of every day. *Spend time with friends and family, do the things that I want to do. *I don't put off things as I used to. *Dad did not give up when he was given an experation date. *If you look at the video you will see that most of the pictures he is thin and sick, but in none of the pictures is he in bed. *He re,mained active and continued to work and play. *Fighting the pain but enjoying life. *

He taught me until the end.

Steve
06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Ben,

What got you interested in the photo lab? Why did you decide to experiment with that business?

musician/lawnman
06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Ben,
*Here is a picture I was trying to find to post for you the other night. *This about a month before my fathers passing & days after my son was born (and the only picture of the 3 of us), My ole man only met my little boy a couple times as he was in & out of the hospital constantly at that point. *But he went throught the same things, the weight loss, whipple (twice), the constant cramp in his stomach, etc.
http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01440/47/60/1440910674_l.jpg

Steve
06-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Chuck,

Thank you so much for sharing with us that picture. It is great to see all three generations of your family http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Do you think there is a connection at all between your experiences with your father and being an entrepreneur?

How would you say the experience changed your life?

Do you find your views on life are different from others you know, who haven't gone through such traumatic experiences?

gotta_mow
06-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Chuck, I wish you were closer. I would love to sit down and buy you a beer and just BS with you. I often think people don't understand. At least most people have stopped asking how I am handeling it.
I don't know anyone who has gone through what I (we) have gone through. My dads docs told him a second whipple was not a possibility. How long did your dad have it? This may seem like a stupid question but did your dad have the beard before the cancer? I think my dad grew his to help concel the weight loss. I wish your son had gotten the opportunity to know your dad but knowing that your dad was able to see your son is terrific.

Seeing that your son was a newborn and you said your dad passed shortly after I have to ask. Do you think your fought harder to be around until your son was born?

My stepmom thinks that over the ten years my dad fought there was almost always something he was fighting to be around for. I was there in the hospital when he gave up. One minute he was telling a priest that he wanted to get well and go home. less than a half hour later he was yelling at a doctor that he wanted out of the hospital, he was going to die in his bed.

The only thing that happened between these two event was a nurse telling him that IF he ever went home he would never leave the house or be able to do anything on his own. He was dead 3 days later.

Steve
06-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Ben, did you get any feedback from viewers of your ad or from your customers?

What is your reflection now on your craigslist ad?

musician/lawnman
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Steve & Ben, Sorry for the delay, I sat down last night & typed a long reply to this, actually so long I exceeded the character limit & the screen blipped & then I was looking at an empty post. I was so pissed off I opted not to retype anything at that point....
Yes the experiance changed me, You realize life short, it can be great & then blow up in your face at any moment it can get horrible or worse... just be over. Though I don't know if thats worse really? If it's true that your day to die is already set but the method is uncertain..... let me go quick, in some accident or something like that.

Ben my father fought it for a little over 2 years that we know of. Which I am told is a long time as that disease usually kills in 6-8 months. Your dads 10 years is incredible! Actually knowing what he was going through it's down right tragic....

I can't image my father in that kind of pain for that many years. Towards the last few months I kept praying "Either leave him alone, or take him already!" I can't think of any reason any man should deserve that.

Anyway, Ben PM me with your phne number, I'll call you one night (free long distance) so we can talk.

P.S. You can mail me that beer! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
06-19-2008, 01:17 AM
One of the things I wonder is this. Do you feel such traumatic situations make you see life from a wider perspective than the average person.

Do you feel you are more successful now because you can see life for more of what it is?

Does this then allow you to take the knowledge from the experiences you shared with your father, to ultimately live a better and happier life?

Is that something that should be passed on to the next generation?

musician/lawnman
06-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Ideally, yes it does all those things, & when you take the time to reflect on it it does help your perpective. Though you still get caught up in the daily grind like everyone else. Your priorities get throw out of wack & the little things take up way more time & energy than they should. But I think it helps you realize more often than the average person that this has happened again & put it all back in check.

Coop714
06-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Ben-

I just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I to lost my dad to cancer on May 27, 2007, I was very fortunate to spend the last 6 months of his life with him and will cherish those times for the rest of my life.
A lot has changed in that short amount of time in my life, I started my Lawn Care Company, I got married to the most wonderful woman and as I sit here writing this post, I am listening to the breathing of my newborn son sleeping a few feet from me. He was born May 19 2008 and is the first boy in a family that has been blessed with 7 beautiful girls, including a set of triplets.:) Well the little fella is starting to squirm around an I gotta go check on him an mom. God Bless all

Coop

musician/lawnman
06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Coop,
Congratulations on your son! Sorry to hear about your dad. Pardon me for asking but did you say you now have 7 girls & a boy? Wow, how the heck do you afford that these days? And a 2nd question.... It sounded like you got married some time in late 06 early 07.... 8 children since then sounds nearly impossible even with triplets, some from previous marrige? Either way I am from a large family & it sounds like you have a big happy one yourself there.
Welcome to the forum!

Coop714
06-22-2008, 01:57 PM
lol, nah we dont have all 7 girls ... I have 2 girls 22and 18 yrs. old from a previous marriage. My brother has the triplet girls that are age 4.5 and my sister has 2 girls 20 and 12 yrs old.

Team Gopher
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Ben,

Do you think there was a connection between losing your father and starting your lawn care business? Or was it just coincidence you started it then?

GottaMow
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Just coincidence. My wife and I bought a house last October and then at the begining of the summer I had to buy a mower for the house. While looking for reviews for the mower I found this site and thought that this would be a great way to make some extra cash.

Ben

Steve
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Ben,

I would love to hear some of your insights from your experience with your digital imaging center. I know lots of people read the posts here and many of them consider running different businesses.

Maybe your insight into the similarities and differences between the two businesses could really help others choose a better business for themselves.