PDA

View Full Version : Moderation of the forum

Steve
05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
It can be very difficult to moderate a forum.

At times when you have competing businesses it's like having two boxers in a ring that want to go at it. Maybe to be aggressive, maybe to be defensive and I am the referee of it all.

If I let things go on and take my eye off of discussions, they can turn nasty and they shouldn't. When ever they do, it is my fault for failing to guide things to a positive direction.

I thank everyone who takes part in this forum and I hope to continue to serve you in a positive manner.

I hope I make the best decisions to keep the forum moving forwards and if I fail at times, please help me find the proper way out http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks everyone.

justin_time
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
So are you looking for moderators ?

Because I'd like to become one http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

musician/lawnman
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Heh.... Have you ever been on ********.com? Those guys can be brutal with each other! Ready to rips hads off over weather to use an edger or flip your trimmer over instead.... Full blown drawn out arguments that go on & on & on.... I hate that site because of it.

You do a good job Steve.
Sometimes it seems your filling a more shink-like roll than a moderator though....
So how does that make you feel?
What would you like to do next?
Does that make you happy?
Do you want to cry?
Do you need a hug sometimes? http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

gmoney55
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Steve i think you do a great job. It has got to be hard to do this and i know you have lots of other irons in the fire so hats off to you for the job you do. I agree with chuck some of these other forums out there should just set up a steel cage and get it on. That's all they do is fight and it seems like nobody cares. That's why i like this site so much not much fighting, and everyone is so helpful. On other sites i see a person ask a question and then he gets his head handed to him for asking a question by what seems like some miserable and angry at life people. Just get a few admins to help you out so you can take some of the pressure off of yourself. I am a member of a sports board and we have admins on there who kind of police the site and take care of any crap that comes up. And believe me when it comes to sports talk there is always arguing and fighting going on. Just ask a few members to help out it should not be that hard to find a few people to give you some help.

Steve
05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks.

Running a forum and moderating it is a lot like trying to keep the peace amongst your friends when they have a difference of opinion.

I think I do try to also ask reflective questions that make us all think. Maybe they would be more philosophical than anything. All too we are so busy during our days that we don't have any time at all to reflect on things and try to figure out if this direction is good or bad, or if that direction is better.

gmoney55
05-15-2008, 12:53 PM
i think it is good that you ask the questions you do. most of us are so busy in our daily lives we act on impulse alot and do not ask the pertinent questions we should ask ourselves before we act. i like to read the questions you ask because it makes me think about the subject in more detail so i can then form a better approach or solution. so keep up the good work.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I know where Steve is coming from, I run an investment related forum. I used to run a live chat room for daytrading, was a 16-18 hour a day job in a windowless room. At least I got a good tan from 8 CRT's and never turned the heat on in the winter. Once I broke my addiction to coffee and diet pepsi I found something more useful to do.

Steve
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Eric,

How do you like running your forum? Do you want to give a plug for it?

What got you interested in starting that?

StealthDumpTrucks
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Steve, but it's an exclusive club of nine people who discuss business, economics, commodities, and the stock market. We've known each other for years thru other investment forums. I set it up to be a semi-private way to communicate within the group in a secure manner vs. public forums.

I got into investments in 1995 after selling my corporation.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's a good thing to plug to your guys in tree service. I only sell the good stuff, all checked out 100%, offer lease financing, and we'll deliver! Every customer gets a short training session on safe operation and maintenance. If you've got a stump, we'll grind it during training.

http://www.usedstumpgrinders.com/

Steve
05-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Quote[/b] ]Thanks Steve, but it's an exclusive club of nine people who discuss business, economics, commodities, and the stock market. We've known each other for years thru other investment forums. I set it up to be a semi-private way to communicate within the group in a secure manner vs. public forums.

We have seen others on here at times talk about real estate investing and haven't gotten too into that discussion. Have you ever gotten involved with that and if so what is your thoughts on that?

Quote[/b] ]Here's a good thing to plug to your guys in tree service.
I added it to your signature.

Also, feel free to post the equipment you have for sale in the equipment section.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Anyone who owns real estate is already an investor. I passed up many opportunities in RE. I kick myself for not doing it, but at the same time I realize the margin between success and failure is wide open. If you're going to get into that field, don't quit your day job. I firmly believe the best investment is a trailer park. You're renting the pads and all you have to worry about is collecting and maintenance. It pays for itself in 5 years or less. Apartments are 10-15 years ROI. If you own or lease out commercial property, you've got to worry over the occupants going out of business.

Residential is very risky, either you're flipping or renting. I've never met a happy landlord that rents single family housing. Flippers are in competition with every homeowner selling in a 50 mile radius. You better be expert in all facets before taking that leap.

Steve
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I have read very little about this topic so far but it is fascinating. One thing that drives me crazy is how often you see advertisements to 'teach' people how to get into real estate investing as if that is going to be their saving grace.

I just don't see how the average person is going to be able to buy some real estate with no money down and then either quickly sell it for a profit of rent it out for a profit. On top of having a fulltime job.

Another forum member who has been on here in the past says it is possible. I am sure somehow if there is a will there is a way, I just think there is a lot more too it than most realize.