PDA

View Full Version : Could you explain your experience here?

Steve
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Could you explain your normal experience here on this forum?

Do you find yourself reading more than posting? Or the other way around?

What is your view on posting?

Do you like creating your own topics or no and why?

realhuntin
01-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I read as much if not more than I post if that is possiable.LOL

I like everything about this site.

My view on posting is this; Don't be affaid to post for fear of thinking you'll sound stupid. The only stupid question is an unasked question.

Yes I like to create some of my own post to see what others have to say about it and it helps me learn more.

EARLY BIRD MOWING/LANDSCAPING
01-13-2008, 11:56 PM
I like this site , if I have a ? I know I will be helped , I like to see what others thank and what they are doing to get ahead in life, I like to post and read I thank I read more , this site is realy good for all , if your just starting out or been there done that you still can learn something new. I would like to sey thank you Steve for starting this site! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thankyou.gif

FourSeasons
01-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I like to post and read.

Its interesting to see people the same situations I was in when I started.
Its nice to be able to help others like they have helped me.

Its also a friendly place; opposite of some other forums.

Its nice to talk about things that make you think.

I find myself doing about the same for both.

Steve
01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all of your insights.

I do wonder at times what keeps members from posting.

I wonder if it is they are afraid or shy or what it is.

FourSeasons
01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Quote[/b] ]I do wonder at times what keeps members from posting.

I wonder if it is they are afraid or shy or what it is.

I think thats probably it. Or they feel that they are going to ask something stupid. I don't know why though. Its not like we know who they are or anything.

Or maybe come traumatized from other sites and are scared to post here.

Steve
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Good points!

I tend to forget how difficult it can be to post and ask a question because I am posting all the time.

tjgray
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I love the forum! *It has been extremely helpful to me and our business in many ways.

While I do find myslef reading more than posting it is not really because I do not like to post.

Sometimes all time allows is a quick read of topics that catch your interest. *A lot of times I have a response to topics I am reading but I don't have time to repeat a response that I agree with that has been already written so I opt to spend more time reading http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Very interesting!

Could you explain to me how you find the posts you want to read? Do you search for them, use the new post feature, review different forum sections? Or just go by title?

tjgray
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Usually unless I am searching for one specific topic I just hit new post and read whatever catches my interest http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
You know what's funny, I didn't start doing that until a few years into running this board LOL. Then I was like, Oh whats this feature? HAHAHHAHA

FourSeasons
01-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Me to. I would just go thru the forum and see if there was any new posts.
Then I saw the New Post option and thats alot more convienient.

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-16-2008, 12:38 AM
I found this board last spring. *After lurking a few weeks, I posted a few ideas for new business owners. *I think it is the nature of message boards that more people lurk than post. It would be nice though if every lurker would pipe up occasionally even if just to say "hi."

I find Steve's energy and enthusiasm contagious. *I've never heard a harsh word from him. *That positivity spills over into the rest of us. *It's good to be able to throw out ideas here. *If they are bad ideas, we're told a better path...there's no fear of being called a doofus. *

There's only one suggestion I can think of right now:

I visit my folks about once per week. *Since they have dial up internet access, the video at the top makes it difficult to surf this site from their house. *It would be nice to have an option to turn the video off...keeping it from loading on every page. *I have broadband so this is only an occasional issue.

Cheers Steve and cheers to all other forum members...here's to a banner year in 2008!

Keith

Shark1611
03-12-2011, 10:35 PM

Being new I have a hard time looking for the subject I would like to talk about so I post one. I'm trying to slow down on that and step back and read for a while.

USA Lawn Care
03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
it's a very helpful place.
I post only when I can truly add an opinion from experience or when I need an opinion from across the board.
And I do like the friendly attitude here......everyone is different.....everyone's businesses here are different and that's what I love. To get opinions from across the country from experienced folks is priceless. Read, read, read, read, read. When someone asks about a trimmer and you get 20 responses from folks saying it's the best trimmer they've ever used, I make note of information like that and by gosh go buy that trimmer. It saves the headache of spending a season messing with one that you could have avoided.

So, hopefully, those who haven't posted will chime in when they feel they can be of help.

wandfsmall
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
it's a very helpful place.
I post only when I can truly add an opinion from experience or when I need an opinion from across the board.
And I do like the friendly attitude here......everyone is different.....everyone's businesses here are different and that's what I love. To get opinions from across the country from experienced folks is priceless. Read, read, read, read, read. When someone asks about a trimmer and you get 20 responses from folks saying it's the best trimmer they've ever used, I make note of information like that and by gosh go buy that trimmer. It saves the headache of spending a season messing with one that you could have avoided.

So, hopefully, those who haven't posted will chime in when they feel they can be of help.

I agree of all of the lawn care forums this is the most friendly and under control form. I found the place a few years ago when you were doing telephone conferences. but after taking some of the advice I got too busy to come back for a very long time. Now I have grown to 2 locations and trying to get my webstore done.

CHEESE2009
03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
I find this forum to be a nice place to hangout, even with business put aside.

We all work in the same field, and we're all friends here with relative interests.

////////////////////

I love to give assistance when I am able to, though, there is a gap between American/Canadian advice. Canadians are restricted from giving advice to Americans (vice-versa) due to various things; pricing, resource availabilities - being two.

Details as well. In my part of Canada, advertising for example would have to be bilingual - English advertising alone is against the law, English on advertising also has to be "smaller" in size than the French language.

Also for example, things like translation can be a burden:

Movie Title
ENGLISH: Snakes on a Plane
FRENCH: Serpants A Board

See the misleading translation? Serpants for example can be any reptile, and, on board what? A boat, train, plane?:mad:

So when you have a catchy even HUMOROUS slogan, it might not be translated very well. It might come out dull when read by the French.

My awful example:

"The grass is greener on the other side"
could be
"Green over the grass here" or some garbage.....

Simpkins
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I probably post too much. I did hang out for a long time before posting though, when I had my lawn care business.

I do find this forum much different than any others. I think this is why you do have lurkers that don't post. Most places you are ridiculed for asking a question. Your mistakes in grammar are not so nicely pointed out and you are belittled for just about anything you say or do. I think people have seen or experienced this and have just written off posting on forums. Hopefully, if they lurk long enough, they will see this isn't your typical forum though.

As far as looking for posts, I take advantage of the "New Posts" feature at the bottom.

elrascal
03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Steve.
I definatly spend more time surfing the forum than I do posting. I normally come on 3 or four times a week.

I normally just browse through the threads until I see something I like. Almost never use the search bar.

On a side note Steve.. You have lots of great info here and I was wondering if you have an email news letter? It would be great to get useful info mation from you in our emails

Cheers, Peter.

Steve
03-16-2011, 02:13 AM
On a side note Steve.. You have lots of great info here and I was wondering if you have an email news letter? It would be great to get useful info mation from you in our emails

That is a great idea.

I try to send out a monthly update of the top discussions that stood out to me. Maybe I could do more though with a newsletter.

As far as looking for posts, I take advantage of the "New Posts" feature at the bottom.

What do you think of the amount of new posts that appear? Is it too many, just right, or not enough listed?

Simpkins
03-16-2011, 04:22 AM
That is a great idea.

I try to send out a monthly update of the top discussions that stood out to me. Maybe I could do more though with a newsletter.

What do you think of the amount of new posts that appear? Is it too many, just right, or not enough listed?

I think it is just right as I'm on here pretty often. Someone with a life:rolleyes: may miss out on a few posts if this is the only feature they use but I think for the most part it is right on.

ToastedToad
04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I use the search function first off. If I can't find my answer there I post. But I almost always find it in the search, so I don't post much.

I really like the vibe of this forum. I feel at home and comfortable. Not like other Lawn Care forums I could mention. Plus the fact that you (Steve) are always trying to gather info from us to put in your books makes people open up more and tell more than they usually would. That makes the information flow.

I hope this forum attracts more like minded folks from the biz and stays true to it's roots.

GOPHER software rules!

cruzgardening
04-02-2011, 01:03 AM

This forum is about the only one i visit when it comes to Lawn care people here are helpful and not condesendant unlike other forums i visited on the past. I do post but only when i get a brain fart which happens often also when i think i can help someone with a question i try to give my opinions and ideas. i think i read more then i post if you can believe it haha.