PDA

View Full Version : Video at top messing up your forum experience?

Steve
10-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Is the GopherHaul video at the top of the forum, messing up your forum experience or does it not slow down your surfing of the forum?

pmblair
10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Doesn't bother me too much. = )

FourSeasons
10-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Sometimes it causes a slight delay for the page to load. But other than that no.I just mute it since I've already watched it a couple times.

gatewayuser
10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
The video at the top is driving me bonkers!!! I open forums in new links and all of a sudden boom I'm hearing your video a million times at once. It makes my computer work like a crazy person and slows it down so bad I have to close the entire internet down. PLEASE don't put it on every page!!!

Steve
10-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I am changing around the position of it, I put it into the GopherHaul forum section. I wonder if that will help. That way it doesnt load each time.

gatewayuser
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Soooo much better!!!! Thank you! Now I can enjoy my online experience again. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi gatewayuser,

What type of internet connection do you have?

gatewayuser
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
DSL High Speed

Steve
10-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh! I am wondering, why does the forum open up new pages? Do you do that to review it better or does your browser automatically do it?

gatewayuser
10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
No I open new tabs for different forums through the site.

Steve
10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Ohhh ok i see

11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I like the video, it was what got me to check this forum out, however, it would be nice if it were on the main page and not on each thread, it slows me down abit

theaer
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
You should be able to use ajax for the forum and use the video outside the ajax parameters.

This means when we are surfing the forums, the video can constantly play. But when we have already watched it we don't have to have it keep restarting and slowing down the experience.

I'm on a half T1 line. It does slow down my surfing and reading experience but not by much. I haven't worked with Ikon board yet, however it looks like you are just using a wrapper on some sort of CMS. It should be a fairly easy fix. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif And it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your service in any case.

theaer

tjgray
01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Your Gopher Haul videos are VERY good so I don't mind it causing a slight lag when I am viewing the forum... http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The only thing that is a slight irritant is that I watch a lot of youtube video and I always have to remember to turn the sound back on after muteing it here.

justin_time
01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't mind the Gopherhaul video on the top of the forum but I find when i click on the forum pages it gets annoying since it keeps playing over and over even when it's on mute. It's ok if i haven't seen it.. but after you've seen it a few times.. it gets annoying (my opinion)

Maybe put it on a totally different page or something

JMM0254
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I'd say hide it, put it on a page by itself or a link to it on each page. I sometimes have severals windows open on the forum or at least go to quite a few. It is always there again, starting from the beginning, over and over and over again. Nice if once I pause it, it runs to the end or I stop it, you had an "option" to replay it, if I decide I want to watch it again. I know it runs to the end and stops, but if I open another window in the forum, there it is again..... Just my 2 cents.

Steve
01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Quote[/b] ]You should be able to use ajax for the forum and use the video outside the ajax parameters.

This means when we are surfing the forums, the video can constantly play. But when we have already watched it we don't have to have it keep restarting and slowing down the experience.

I'm on a half T1 line. It does slow down my surfing and reading experience but not by much. I haven't worked with Ikon board yet, however it looks like you are just using a wrapper on some sort of CMS. It should be a fairly easy fix. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif And it would be greatly appreciated.

This sounds like an interesting idea! Thank you!