PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Fertilizing Pricing

FourSeasons
10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I wanted to know what is the average rate charged for fertilizing. It probably varies depending on where you live. I live in the Seattle area. And whatever your rate is does it include the fertilizer. I want a good standard rate I can tell my customers.

Where do you get your fertilizer from? I don't want to get it from the chain home improvement stores. I hate going in those stores.

I figured one way I can keep mowing longer and more often into the season is by fertilizing my customer's lawns. Since some of them are already slowing down. Just thought of this today becuase the lawns that I do fertilize are still growing good. This is probably lawn care business common sense but I am still new.

Thanks for your help.

grounded
10-10-2007, 08:04 PM
The helpful guys from Lesco can give you a lot of insight on this matter.

They should have a 5 step program of premium fertilizers and the yield rate. make a spreadsheet and do the math.

you can probably charge a $20 - 30 application fee on top of the fertilizer.

Get licensed by the Dept of Ag and get insurance

Hope this helps

Tom

FourSeasons
10-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I went to the Lesco website and checked it out. They have alot on there and its kind of confusing to me so I think I'll give them a call.

Steve
10-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Let us know what you find out.

grounded
10-15-2007, 03:06 AM
The Best way to get any answers is to go in and meet face to face.

Here in Illinois, they have a "Chicago-land" 5 step program witch of course is for the premium fertilizers but you only want the best if you want to impress the client.

I bought a spreader from them and the manager wanted to meet me off site to show me how to achieve the best results - thats customer service! They are also helpful with lawn problems too.

Here is a selling point: Your on site every week so you see a problem starting before the customer sees it. The "other Guys" only come around every 5 weeks or when the customer finds a dandelion waving at them and has to call and complain. Stress this along with the fact that you are a trained professional and not a part timer who has a quota to fill and you can easily get the account.

Best of luck and don't forget the license even if your state dosent require one for straight fertilizer - it shows the other guys and the customer that you mean business!

Tom

pmblair
10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a friend who works for the Dept of Ag here in Georgia. Now I don't know about other states, but in GA, you're required to be licensed to spread ANYTHING that contains a pre-emergent... including fertilizer.

FourSeasons
10-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Not here in Washington. I spray all different kinds of weed killers and have spread fertilizer without a license for them. There is certain things you have to be certified for but I don't ever use those. I have sprayed in wetland areas also to control a thistle problem. But I checked with the state weed control board first before I went out there so they could tell me what is safe to use. They are very informative and helpful here. They can tell you exactly which chemical to use for every kind of weed. I think each state has one.

Not to many people on this site are on the western part of the country. Seems like most everyone lives in the eastern part.

11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
You might recheck that license requirement

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/LicensingEd/Licensing.htm#GettingLicensed

FourSeasons
11-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Quote[/b] ]You might recheck that license requirement

Thanks.
I never checked because when I talked to the WA State weed control board I told them I was a business owner and asked whether I needed a license for various products and she said know. I took her word for it because the WA State weed control board is a state and county office.
I'll definitely be checking up on this. I have no problem with getting certified. I don't want any fines.

ABurlison
11-16-2007, 12:44 AM
I Live in Oregon and I checked my state's site and basically it only says I have to be licensed to apply pesticides, but it doesn't specify the application of Fertilizer, so I guess I'm assuming fertilizer's don't matter. Not sure, anybody know for sure?

ABurlison
11-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Everybody I guess wants a piece of the pie and wants you to pay to be licensed. But at the same time, they don't want just anybody handling these types of harmful chemicals.

11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Usually it is anything that kills, mitigates, or repels that requires a license. Fertilizer is probably okay in your state but check just in case.