PDA

View Full Version : my winter money maker

procutofillinois
04-28-2008, 05:37 PM
This is how i make my money in the winter i still do it even if its not winter i just do it in the afternoon
figure it up guys im at home takes average 3-4 hours to do a mid size car and i make $115 profit how long does it take you to make that with fuel price's soaring through the sky and labor cost i have a car scheduled every night for the next 5 weeks

procutofillinois
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
here is some work i have done

procutofillinois
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
i clean this one once a month

procutofillinois
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
look at the shine

procutofillinois
04-28-2008, 05:54 PM
might help if i add the pic any way
CHECK OUT THE SHINE

Fernando's CleanCut!
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Love the Shine on that Escalade!
I would like to see more pics of interior and Engine bay (if you clean them too).
For me its just a hobby, detailing my Civic and the Tacoma on the weekends, but never thought of making money out of it. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Do you know about a forum for car care/detailing?

Thanks.

UniversityLandscapers
04-28-2008, 10:57 PM
My former roommate just had his Range Rover detailed (I know...I have rich friends) and it cost him $250, so there's definitely some money to be made in that. They spend a good 7 hours on it.

procutofillinois
04-29-2008, 12:58 AM
fernando the are no forums up currently i have spoke with steve bout this so im in the works it takes a lot of time and money

Steve
04-29-2008, 04:54 AM
Hi Jeremy,

What's your view as to why not scale up the detailing business instead of the lawn care business?

Which do you see as having the bigger potential? Which do you enjoy more?

You do great work by the way.

procutofillinois
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
well lol like i said i live in a retierment type community so they see the lawn care trailer outside they i know im runnin it out of my house then if i did auto detailing (more then now) then im affraid the town is gonna be all over me they already said somethin once about delivery trucks coming here cause i buy my chemicals by the 55 gallon drum it last along time but the fact that once or twice a year i have a straight truck parked in front of my house they are very picky here in this community
if i got a shop then i would never make it the over head is just way to high then kids to the sitter etc. etc. it just would not work for me where as the lawn care i basically can work around the kid's schedule
dont get me wrong i totally do wanna open up a shop really bad but i gotta wait a couple more years on the little ones
i have tottaly thought about getting like an astro van and going mobile detailing but man gas prices wow the boys over seas get enough from me nowevery day when i stop at the station im probably paying enough to feed everyone in iraq
i think going mobile i could get a lot of business cause right now its word of mouth and the few busiess cards i have givin out if i go mobile then i have a rolling billboard and more plp will see me plus there is not the first mobile detailer in my area

******PLUS******
hopefully by the end of summer i will be going chemical free so no chemicals except buffing compound and wax
i will be cleaning every thing with steam which is a definate plus for customers who just dont like the smell of all the chemicals
then the added advantage is its great for allergy suffers which is the biggest advertising campaign i think i could ever have cause plp dont relieze how many allergies are just in your car how much of your day is spent in your car

well theres alot more for every one i would love to hear everyone's opinion on all of this

Steve
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
You know, you may be on to something there. What if you offered both lawn care and car detailing? You could have one side of a door hanger promote one service and the other side promote another?

What suggestions would you have for other lawn care business owners who would like to experiment with offering this service?

How should they go about bidding jobs?

procutofillinois
04-29-2008, 07:17 PM
steve i know that the guys in rokford,il would get 300 or more to do any of the cars that i posted pics of in the above
i personally get 175 to do them but like i said im in my home so i can do it alot cheaper as far as priceing the best thing to do is call around and do your research every area is differnt i chat with a guy on my space that gets like 400 to do cars like the above
now for car dealers i get 100 for mid-sized cars and the price just varies from there
carpet cleaning is a big money maker if i have to pick up a buffer you better guarntee im gonna get an extra $100 cause if you are buffing a car i guarntee you are gonna be there at least 2 hours minimum just buffing for a mid -size car
chemicals are very cheap
the best way to go is steam cause then you have no chemicals and you use just water. water is a couple pennies i talk to one guy who got with the fire dept and water board in his are and he pays 50 dollars a month and he can go to any hydrient and get the water
there are alot of things that detailing can progress to
washing
waxing
buffing
carpet cleaning
stain removal
paintless dent repaier
upholstry repaier
the list goes on and on anything that has wheels gets detailed cars,boats,rvs,motor homes,bus's,motor cycles,air planes(big big money really high ins),trains
detailing is not somethin you can just jump into you have to know the paint finish's determine paint problems determine the thickness of the clear coat is there oxidation if so you have to clay the whole car then you can buffet it and wax it
how deep are scatchs is it in clear coat or in the paint or even the metal
the list just goes on and on there is so much to do in detailing
my suggestion is go to www.i-car.com there you can go to a detailing class
i am currently i-car gold star certified and im workin on a master cerifacationif any one has questions feel free to ask ill help as much as i can there is also alot of videos on you tube also

procutofillinois
04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
steve what do you tihnk about the idea of going mobile insurance is all im worried about

Steve
04-30-2008, 06:37 AM
I like the idea a lot. You could go around and detail cars while the car is parked at someone's job. You could visit car lots or homes.

Have you thought about the figures yet? What would you need to do this? What projected figures do you think you could make?

What are your expenses?

Let's work this on here and then we could all help bring the idea to a conclusion.

procutofillinois
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
number wise i have not sat down and figured i know im lookin at 3-4000 for a van then the wrap for it 1000 equipment i basically have it all i would need a water tank differnt pressure washer small air compressor and probably a small generator then just me building the van putting in bins for like dirty towels and rack to hang like cleaners on etc. etc.
as far as projected profit well right now i turn away work so thats a definate plus then ill have a vinyl wrap so that will pull alot plus how many plp dont know im here doin this
how many plp are to busy to clean there cars
time wise tou are at work most then in your car most then your home so it gets dirty lots of plp just dont haVE THE TIME OR UNDERSTAND THE BENEFITS OF AUTO DETAILING I PERSONALLY OFFER MY CURRENT CUSTOMERS A DEAL WHERE IF THEY BRING ME THERE CAR EVERY SO OFTEN AND PAY A CERTAIN AMOUNT THEN I CUT A HUGE DEAL CAUSE I WOULD RATHER SPEND AN HOUR ON SOMEONES CAR ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH THEN 7-8 HOURS EVERY THREE MONTHS CAUSE WHEN THEY BRING IT TO ME MORE OFTEN THEN IF I FIND A STAIN I CAN GET IT OUT OR WHATEVER CAUSE THEN IT HAS NOT SAT IN THE FABRIC FOR MONTHS AND HARDER TO CLEAN

Fernando's CleanCut!
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I believe going mobile would be a great jump for you, like you said there is no other Mobil Detailer in your area... also you can go to an office, I mean BIG time offices like , Police, Realtors, Doctors, CEOs, and promote your business. My town is flooded with Lawn Care service, from 1guy Crew with a couple o' Push Mowers to a Float of Two Trucks (like Isuzu trucks) and 7-men crew, **like on every stoplight theres a truck with a mower on the back! ...unlike the mobile car wash/detailer you can see 2-3 trucks over the weekend. Maybe you can offer pressure washing.

Is it possible to get regular customers, like say, washing the car(s) every 2 weeks? wash & wax every 3 weeks? interior detailing every 4 weeks? kinda like an agreement? and then send them the bill?

Good Luck!

PS:**-I just got this crazy Idea: Post Notes, or reminders of Maintenance of the vehicule on the dash board or in the invoce, i guess that would too much. Im saying this because, if i paid $250K for a car, I would like to keep it for a while.

Steve
05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
I was thinking, if I were to start this and experiment with it, I would start off really cheap without the vehicle wrapping. Then as business picked up, I might go with the wrap.

It is really a great visual but I don't know how important it would be to get started especially if I was unsure of it.

What's your view?