PDA

View Full Version : Home designed post card

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's what I've been contemplating sending out.
I know I have no fancy logo or nice looking lawn photos on it but I can't fit them with all the text I'd like on it.

justin_time
03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Looks too busy

Just remind yourself this.. K.I.S.S. = Keep it simple stupid

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow that attachment uploade really grainy & crappy looking.
But still, you get the point.

You think so Justin? That's why I didn't want to put an image behind it because I though it would make it a visual blur.

justin_time
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Quote[/b] (musician/lawnman @ Mar. 25 2008,12:24)]You think so Justin? * That's why I didn't want to put an image behind it because I though it would make it a visual blur.
Yeah.. I think it looks too busy

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Ok I'll try to slim it down I guess
My initial one had a picture at the top behind the text like this.

Steve
03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Chuck,

I like your creativity.

I don't know how effective that offer is going to be. It seems to me at first glance, kind of complicated.

If you want to try it, it would be interesting to see if you made two different postcard offers. Maybe use that one and then make one that is painfully simply. Maybe something like 50% off your first mowing.

Will some people call you up to mow once and then cancel? Well that is always a possibility, but what if it works to really get people to try you out and then stick with you.

Maybe then hand out some of the postcards to one side of town and then try the other offer in another side of town and see which one works better.

What do you think of that?

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Well It seems to me most new customers call when their lawn is overgrown, be it their mower broke, The old service provider just hasn't shown up or whatever. To cover the added time spent to clean it up the 1st service is often the most expensive. This is why I'm offering the discount on service #2. I've seen alot of people on here offer the discount at the end of the year which is great, if customers are biting on it, keep using that lure. Things are awfully competitive here & I wanted to offer potential customers something alittle bit closer to instant gratification. It is true they might use me twice & that's it but I think at by the 2nd service I will have built some rapport & displayed the quiality of our workmanship enough to retain most customers.

UniversityLandscapers
03-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Looks pretty good. From a design standpoint, it's usually best to stay away from times new roman, go with something a little crisper. I'm no design expert though...

lawnindustryconsultants.com
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Quote[/b] (justin_time @ Mar. 25 2008,12:23)]Looks too busy

Just remind yourself this.. K.I.S.S. = Keep it simple stupid
To much there.

You only have a short time of those potential customers time otherwise they toss it got to be plain and cut rite to the chase if they have to read they wont. 90% of homeowners around here are getting off work and dont want to deal with reading junk mail or flyers so you have to get something plain and simple cutting rite to the chase but it also has to stick out for them to want to read the little bit that is there

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok coach I'll do better next time..... J/k I appreciate the advise, but you guys don't have to keep calling me stupid.
LOL http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Ok, take 3 .....
What do you think? Still too much?

UniversityLandscapers
03-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Much better I think. It gives the important stuff the attention it needs to make it obvious and concise, while still providing enough information for people who want to look more into it.

Steve
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Yea I like this design a lot better too!

You should still consider making two with two different offers and see which one brings you more customers.

Nice job!

Let us know how it works!

03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
LOL I think it garbage j/k No i think this one is better it cutting to the chase i like steves idea for sure. Im sorry if it seemed like i was getting on ya but i have seen so many people waste time and money on these things. But i like that you are doing this for yourself what type of program are you using again?

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Quote[/b] (lawnindustryconsultants.com @ Mar. 25 2008,7:05)]LOL I think it garbage j/k No i think this one is better it cutting to the chase i like steves idea for sure. Im sorry if it seemed like i was getting on ya but i have seen so many people waste time and money on these things. But i like that you are doing this for yourself what type of program are you using again?
No man I don't take it personally, I asked for advice & opnions, I want them to be honest, otherwise why bother saying anything right?
Microsoft office publisher is the program I used here.

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Ya know the more I think about it (& we've discussed it in other posts) the only thing I might add to this post card is an expiration date.

clarklandscaping
03-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I would also consider including the word "FREE", very large, somewhere on your postcard. Everyone knows that nothing is for free but it still grabs the attention of the reader for a couple of more seconds and usually will make them read to see whats free. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Its been working for me, Im pulling in 3 new customers a week primarily from my super simple flyer's.

03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Yes great idea make the free BIG and also the exp. date to tell them yo get this now before it is to late

Steve
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Quote[/b] ]Its been working for me, Im pulling in 3 new customers a week primarily from my super simple flyer's.

Shane could you show us what you created?

ritchiem
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Chuck,

I am still not sure on the design...at first glance you are not too sure what the advert is for. And the contrast of the orange text and the image is not working well. I am sure that the source file looks better then the posted one. Also make sure to create the file in at least 300dpi for the printers.

Is the header image stretched? Looks like it...me thinks you'll need a brighter and higher res picture.

Is this going to be a one sided advert? Or are you going to use the back side as well....you would be surprised on how little it is to print both sides compared to just one.

xcelprinting.com
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Chuck,
Heres my 2 cents:
1) The offer: I think both offers on there are fine, because it's actually 1 offer with 2 options, options are good, and you are K.I.S. (I will leave the "stupid" out), you are keeping it simple with just 1 offer and 2 options, it would be different if it were 1 offer with like 5+ options, that would be confusing.

2) "FREE", If you are going to use that word, I as a consumer will be expecting something FREE, if I get a piece of marketing material and it says FREE really large to get my attention but I don't see anything free, then I will be pissed that the advertiser "conned" me into reading their offer, and I lose respect for the company...Unless you are going to say "FREE" to read this advertisement", don't do it, you don't see free nowhere on my website, well, yes you do, for the shipping, and why, because it IS FREE.

3) Regarding the artwork, thanks Rich for mentioning the 300dpi. Don't take this the wrong way Chiuck, not everyone is a graphic designer, so when someone with limited experience or resources attempts to design their own piece, you can usually tell, unlike having it done by an "actual" Graphic Designer...in this case you can tell it is done by someone with limited experience, for one I would use an image related to Lawn Care, the image you have on there is stretched. Be careful on how you put text infront of an image, this is where using a Graphic Designer comes in.

And by the way, I don't charge for printing on the back, the prce is the same for 1 or 2 sided FULL Color printing, so why not use the back...it would look alot less attractive if the piece was blank on the back.

Chuck, call me, I'm in Florida as well, lets talk about how much you you have budgeted for this project, I'd like to help you get it done like a pro.

The toll free number listed below is my direct line.

JODY84
04-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I like these!!

Are you using photo shop to create them?

musician/lawnman
04-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Quote[/b] (JODY84 @ April 05 2008,9:03)]I like these!!

Are you using photo shop to create them?
I used microsoft office publisher.

Thanks Jody! Glad you liked them.

Who did your logo? The alligator looks great.

makbootzy
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey Chuck if you think it might be too much on there, dont forget about the other side. You could put the pic on the front with your logo and a tag line for the offer and then keep it simple on the back with smaller font and more info without cramming it all in.

LawncareMarketingMagic
04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow, I wish I'd seen this post earlier because it's a great discussion on a subject I LOVE talking about, so forgive me if I get a bit long-winded here.

First off, don't be afraid of lots of text. Yes, people are in a hurry BUT if you have an offer that appeals to them, makes their life easier, solves their problems, etc., they'll read it.

Plus, you're trying to get them to spend money. Why in the world would they want to make the decision to spend money with you after reading just a few lines of text? If they didn't care about quality, customer service, or any of the other things you're building your business on, it isn't going to matter what you say other than 'CHEAP'. You can't convey the things that set you apart from your competition in a few short lines of text.

When you go to meet a new customer, perform an estimate, and ultimately sell them, do you limit yourself to less than 200 words? Of course not. You're going to say as much as you need to say in order to convince your prospect that you're the best person for the job because of X,Y, and Z.

And even though your postcard is only trying to convince people to pick up the phone and call, your challenge is still the same. When you limit your postcard (or sales letter, or flyer, or door hanger, etc.), you're severely limiting your chances of actually geting a call.

So again, DON'T BE AFRAID OF A LOT OF TEXT. I know this will rankle quite a few people here, but studies have shown again and again that when trying to sell a service (like lawn care), more text pulls better than less text.

Now, in terms of the design of the 1st postcard, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Replace the name of your company with an attention grabbing headline. When you use your company name as the headline, it becomes a 'deadline'. You have 2 seconds to convince your prospect to read the rest of your postcard and you won't do that with your name. Try something like, 'Save 50% On Your Year Round Lawn Care' or something else that immediately conveys the main benefits of your offer.

2. Translate your various services into benefits. What benefits will they get as a result of these services?

3. You've already presented a good offer, but consider rewording it to make it a little less confusing.

4. As you already mentioned, included a deadline to create some urgency. This will help motivate your prospects to pick up the phone RIGHT NOW instead of sticking it up on the fridge or in a drawer, only to be forgotten.

5. If you can, include a testimonial from one of your satisfied clients. This helps reinforce your message and offer.

Again, don't worry about using too much text. Write as much text as it takes to convince your prospect to pick up the phone and call. If they toss it in the garbage immediately (they've at least read the headline by now), they're not a good candidate for your service anyway.

Sorry this post has dragged on, but this is an important topic. So many marketing pieces can be improved dramatically if people keep these important principles in mind when creating their materials.

Steve
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Quote[/b] ]1. Replace the name of your company with an attention grabbing headline. When you use your company name as the headline, it becomes a 'deadline'. You have 2 seconds to convince your prospect to read the rest of your postcard and you won't do that with your name. Try something like, 'Save 50% On Your Year Round Lawn Care' or something else that immediately conveys the main benefits of your offer.

I think this is something that stands in all of our ways most of the time. This is all about ego. We put the business name at the top when we need to remember that we have to grab the readers attention. A business name doesn't grab attention. As Chestin said though Save 50%, now THAT grabs my attention.

Ultimately our goal with flyers is to gain new business first and foremost so we all have to remember to promote the attention grabbing offer at the top always.

If you don't think this actually works, you can always test it. Send out half your flyers with your business name at top to one area of town. Then send another set of flyers to another side of town and use your attention grabbing headline and see which flyer brings you more business.

Thanks Chestin for all that great insight!

musician/lawnman
04-15-2008, 10:36 PM
thatnk for the feedback! All good info too.