PDA

View Full Version : a tag line for a lawn care business

landonkade
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
i have read and seen also on TV,lol that a tag line for a business is important to have. Like Waste Managements is (Think Green) also i have seen a lawn company with (Think Green)

What would be a good tag line for the lawn care business. I am trying to figure one out that goes with the lawn care industry, the THINK GREEN would be good, i dont think its copyrighted or registered or anything.

Also i have seen a lawn care company's tag line say( Can You Dig It)

What do u think about having a tag line steve........

Little's
03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
My friend had a tag line when he had his lawn business. He used "greener greens", but he was quite the pothead! hes not in business anymore, but I'm not sure why. haha

landonkade
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Mar. 12 2008,8:49)]i have read and seen also on TV,lol that a tag line for a business is important to have. Like Waste Managements is (Think Green) also i have seen a lawn company with (Think Green)

What would be a good tag line for the lawn care business. I am trying to figure one out that goes with the lawn care industry, the THINK GREEN would be good, i dont think its copyrighted or registered or anything. *

Also i have seen a lawn care company's tag line say( Can You Dig It)

What do u think about having a tag line steve........
here is something i found on the web about tag lines......

How Smart is Your Tagline?

The best taglines separate you from your competition, express your personality and add to your branding and marketing campaign. A tagline should tell not only what your company does; it should also make it clear how you are unique compared to your competition.

Assess your current tagline by asking yourself three questions:

1. If you left your business card somewhere, could someone glance at it and know exactly what your company does?

2. Would your tagline work if your competitors used it?

3. Does your tagline focus more on your company or your audience?

A smart tagline includes your unique selling proposition. What do you do best? Why should anyone besides your mother care? Say it in the tagline ** especially if your business name doesn't make it crystal clear what you do.

It's Never Too Late to Improve
A bad tag is worse than none at all; it can actually repel the very people you want to attract - especially if there's an exclamation point after it. This is the mark that tells consumers to RUN AWAY! You might as well put on a bad suit and sell cars if you're going to paste an exclam on the end of a company slogan.

Look at the difference between the quiet, yet serious command "Just do it" compared with the overly-perky, golly-gee sound of "Just Do it!" If Avis had said, "We try harder!" the tone would sound suspiciously salesy rather than conveying the serious and sincere statement of "We try harder."

Can you think of a single tagline that is truly improved by adding an exclamation point to it? If you can, please let me know. I'm still looking for the exception to that rule.

Taglines can create an entirely new perception in people's minds and give an old company a new persona and public image. That's a big job for a few words.

Make sure you make them count.

Little's
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Some very good points. Thanks for posting that.

Steve
03-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Very good post. Matt, I would ask you what type of message are you trying to convey with your business?

Even if you could come up with a few thoughts on this I bet it would help you develop a tag line.

All Aspects Landscaping
03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
our tagline is "We love your lawn." but the love is actually a heart.... and our stand alone icon is our avitar... heart with grass at the bottom

LAWNMOWERMAN
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine as a joke most likely was saying I should use "keeping your lawn green while your on the right side" I think its funny and it is catchy and people would remember you.

Is it appropriate? Unhhh thats debatable.

Dave.

musician/lawnman
03-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Quote[/b] (LAWNMOWERMAN @ Mar. 16 2008,6:36)]A friend of mine as a joke most likely was saying I should use "keeping your lawn green while your on the right side" *I think its funny and it is catchy and people would remember you.

Is it appropriate? Unhhh thats debatable.

Dave.
I think it's pretty funny lawnmowerman. *You should try a few small advertisements with it before putting it on all your vehicles though.

Got me thinking & I only came up with some more ridiculous type taglines.

If you specialize in fertalization:
We feed the bull to your lawn, not to you.

Pest control: xyz's pest control
We can get rid of any pests accept your in-laws, sorry.

Tree removal: bob's tree removal
George Washingtons' got nothing on us.

New landscape installation: 123 lanscape design
We've been planted in County since 19**.

Jerry's stump grinding:
I was in tree removal until the accident left me with just a.....

Ok, I'm done now.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pointlaugh.gif

Little's
03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
haha. Those were funny.

Steve
03-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Those are great! You know any one of them would be memorable and would probably grab a lot of attention.

Nice work!

musician/lawnman
03-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Haha, Thanks guys. I figured you'd either like them or ban me from the site. lol
I always tend to come up with the goofy edgy ones...
A year or so ago my aunt was working on a slogan for her in home medical care for seniors business & asked me to put some thought into it. MISTAKE! I don't remember them all but here's a few for that off the top of my head

1) When the golden years tarnish.
2) When life craps the bed... we clean it up. (obviously over the top)
3) piece of mind thru clean behinds. HAHA

Steve
03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Very creative!

You do a lot of creative things. I bet playing in a band helps you keep those creative juices flowing in your mind.

Do you for see a lot more creative directions in your entrepreneurial future?

musician/lawnman
03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 17 2008,11:16)]Do you for see a lot more creative directions in your entrepreneurial future?
I'm sure. I don't think I'll ever work for anyone else again.

Steve
03-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Chuck,

I know this is a little off topic, but did you ever think about doing some kind of show or shows to raise money to say fix up a local park? Or something that would mix the green industry that would promote your lawn care business and your band at the same time?

LAWNMOWERMAN
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
There is a company out here that does tree removal and stum grinding.

1 They are called the tree feelers.
2 There slogan is were stumped on a slogan.
They have it written on there chipper shredder.

There logo is an elephant holding up a tree or pushing it.

I think i might try the slogan my friend gave me possibly put it on some of my flyer's but more so my web site and business cards.

Dave.

LAWNMOWERMAN
03-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 18 2008,7:08)]Chuck,

I know this is a little off topic, but did you ever think about doing some kind of show or shows to raise money to say fix up a local park? Or something that would mix the green industry that would promote your lawn care business and your band at the same time?
Thats is a good idea. The company / friend I snowplow for did work for habitat for humanity and has pictures on there web site of the build with his staff doing the work.

I did a Habitat build once when I worked for Home Depot, but I found some of the builders from habitat were rather bossy.

Granted the guy was an old manand might just be a grump, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I came out to help you build a house for someone one in need, using my own free time and will and that is how I am thanked for helping you?

I do not have the man power to help on a build but I'm sure I can round up a few of my friends who usually help me out when I do small landscape repairs / installs.

Dave.

Steve
03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Dave,

Do you think doing such community projects can help promote your lawn care business? Would you consider doing any such projects in the future?

If so, what types?

musician/lawnman
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 18 2008,7:08)]Chuck,

Steve,

I know the premise behind your suggestions are great. But what you don't know really is the band is a good fit for a bar or night club, a party band if you will but we are kinda faster heavy music & explicit lyrics are not uncommon in our set lists or even in the banter between songs on stage. It goes overwell in the right environment. On say a sunday afternoon in the middle of a neighborhood park with famiies & children around I think I might stand to anger & lose more than I stood to gain. If we were a classic rock cover band or a country band I could see it but we are all original hard rock with a punk edge. Not Ideal for the promotions you've suggested. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Ya know?

All Aspects Landscaping
03-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I think that the band should wear some Friction Clothing!!! lol

musician/lawnman
03-18-2008, 11:21 PM
You supply the gear & I'll through it on for the gigs man. The rest of the band probably would too, We'll could put you up on our web site as a sponsor.

Steve
03-19-2008, 04:42 AM
James,

You should also get some signature advertisement for your clothing line as well.

LAWNMOWERMAN
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 18 2008,4:38)]Dave,

Do you think doing such community projects can help promote your lawn care business? Would you consider doing any such projects in the future?

If so, what types?
Chuck,

I would try Habitat again and see how it goes. Like I was saying earlier I'm pretty much a 1 man band at the moment but I would see if I could get friends to come out and represent my company on a build.

I'm not sure how helping on a build would bring me more clients. I know there are allot of corporate company's that are on these builds, so it would be good for networking.

Customers would see your company out there with the big companies and that I imagine could improve your business imagine and perception.

If anything I've just done something good to help my community.

In the winter I help my neighbors who have large driveways, I will plow there driveway before I go out plowing or when I get back from plowing. One of the neighbors I can park my truck and trailer in his drive when I need to. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif That is going to help me allot this year with the new 16' tandem trailer.

Dave.

All Aspects Landscaping
03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
hey steve... we have a tagline for Friction - its...
...everybody needs a little friction.

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Matts coments earlt in this post made me think.... So I went out & pulled the exclamation point off the tagline on my trailer.
Good point Matt!

Steve
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh good for you! Isn't it neat as we talk about all these different topics, we are all able to improve a little here and a little there.

All Aspects Landscaping
03-25-2008, 09:02 PM
hey chuck... youll have to shoot me over you address so I can send you down some hats and some shirts!!! Give me a call sometime this weekend... phone is en feugo right now.

musician/lawnman
03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 25 2008,6:32)]Oh good for you! Isn't it neat as we talk about all these different topics, we are all able to improve a little here and a little there.
Yeah I hadn't really though about it, but is amazing how much more sincere "Great rates, Better quality." sounds than the goofy, over promising, B.S. sound of
"Great rates, better quality!" Even though it was a sincere sentement It comes off cheesy & I hadn't realized it.
So yes these conversations help us all I think.

lawnindustryconsultants.com
03-26-2008, 09:12 AM
One of our clients company tag is "QUALITY NOT QUANTITY" I like that one because another client of ours his is "SEE US MOW SEE US GO" The first guy is a laid back type of guy that wants to make money in this industry but he wants to make money and be happy also working smart not hard but the other guy is a fast paced guy what is making a ton of money in the industry but everyone is a number so he is going on quantity last we checked his customer base was up to 1000 residential homes but he cuts them for 12 to 15 were the first guy cuts some of the same style homes for 20 to 25. The second guy is working hard with all of his employees making just a little bit more than the first guy, and the first Client is working with him and another helper making just a little bit below what the client with all the headaches is doing. Im sorry i got off subject but the reason i did is because taglines are good and motivational. So think of a good tagline what tells people who you and your comapny are.

All Aspects Landscaping
03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
hey lawnind. Just a thought, what do you think of ours?

We Love your Lawn.