PDA

View Full Version : Marketing reps on craigslist?

Steve
02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I just saw Weedman was posting jobs on craigslist "Weed Man lawn care is looking for energetic, outgoing, and friendly people for our spring marketing campaign. These people will go door to door "

Do you think this is something you could use too? Would finding people on craigslist to go door to door handing out marketing material help your business grow?

Fernando's CleanCut!
02-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Feb. 25 2008,9:11)]Do you think this is something you could use too? Would finding people on craigslist to go door to door handing out marketing material help your business grow?
I definitely use it! but right now by budget is kinda tight.
If this guys say what they are, I consider to give it a try, Im pretty sure this guys are good on this, they are salesman and are more skilled on talking to people.
I met one guy (on craiglist) that say he would help me get more customers by marketing my areas, we exchange a couple e-mails and gave my phone#, but never got a call back.
should I post the e-mail he send me? was very convincing.

FourSeasons
02-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I was really thinking about doing this because I hate it and I havent and probably won't ever go do it. I just leave the flyer in the door.

Steve
02-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Quote[/b] ]should I post the e-mail he send me? was very convincing.

Yes, I'd love to see it.

Quote[/b] ]I was really thinking about doing this because I hate it and I havent and probably won't ever go do it. I just leave the flyer in the door.

What do you hate about this? Can you explain it a little?

FourSeasons
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Quote[/b] ]

What do you hate about this? Can you explain it a little?

I am fine with people when they call me going out and meeting them and giving bids. Thats when they call me.

But I know what its like to get home from work and not want to be bothered. I just dont like bothering people even though sometimes they probably need to be.

I remember when I was a little kid and the church I went to used to go out on the weekend and pass out flyers to try and get people go to the church. Some people you could just tell were irritated to have to answer the door and be botherd by you.

Plus I hate salesman. It seems like you cant go anywhere without someone trying to get you to buy something. Its annoying. Like everytime I walk thru the mall I get these stupid cell phone salesman going hey hey what kind of phone do you have. It annoys me pretty bad.

So just don't want to be like that I guess?

Steve
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Quote[/b] ]I remember when I was a little kid and the church I went to used to go out on the weekend and pass out flyers to try and get people go to the church. Some people you could just tell were irritated to have to answer the door and be botherd by you.

Plus I hate salesman. It seems like you cant go anywhere without someone trying to get you to buy something. Its annoying. Like everytime I walk thru the mall I get these stupid cell phone salesman going hey hey what kind of phone do you have. It annoys me pretty bad.

So just don't want to be like that I guess?

This is such a great topic. I was having a chat on skype the other day with one of my friends on this very topic. I think more people hate sales than like sales. So I think that is normal.

I think there are many ways to sell without being in your face pushy trying to sell something. Ultimately it does come down to which way takes advantage of your skills and your personality.

In fact we were talking about this on a previous podcast. It was last weeks podcast near the end. The point of the discussion was that if you are not a born salesman and you don't like sales, you will need to find someone who is if you want your business to get big.

I am not sure why all of us have such an aversion to sales actually. I believe being a salesman is a good thing especially if you are running a business. It's a very important skill set. You also need to be a self promoter. People need to know you exist and what services your business offers. If you can notch that exposure up a little as you go through life, I think you will be very happy with the results.

What's your view on this?

FourSeasons
02-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Quote[/b] ]I am not sure why all of us have such an aversion to sales actually. I believe being a salesman is a good thing especially if you are running a business. It's a very important skill set. You also need to be a self promoter. People need to know you exist and what services your business offers. If you can notch that exposure up a little as you go through life, I think you will be very happy with the results.

What's your view on this?

I agree.
I wish I was a little better at cold calling than I am.
I do well with people that call me first. And I would probably do fine going door to door. I just don't want to do it for some reason.

Steve
02-27-2008, 08:33 PM
There has to be other things that you could do that could promote your business and you feel comfortable with. I am sure there are many many things, they just haven't been explored yet.

One of the things I thought that was great that Matt was doing that you could do is becoming the local go to guy for lawn care and landscaping questions. He encourages his friends on myspace to ask him such questions and he answers them. This is a way to reach out to people that could help you as well.

What's your take on this or other things you would be comfortable with doing?

FourSeasons
02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Quote[/b] ]There has to be other things that you could do that could promote your business and you feel comfortable with. I am sure there are many many things, they just haven't been explored yet.

What's your take on this or other things you would be comfortable with doing?

Actually I had a really good year last year. The only time I was really worried about not haveing any work was during the winter.
I was pretty fortunate that the flyers I did pass out and the advertising I did made for a good year for my first year.

I've read that some guys have no luck with the paper and other places. It worked great for me.

But I do want to focus on getting more lawn care customers.

Steve
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Have you thought about things you could do to get attention for you and your business that would be based on something you really enjoy doing?

Leveraging your interests could really help you enjoy marketing more.

For instance, I know you are into cars, could you host and sponsor a car show at a local garden center? Or at some local facility that would tie in with you and your lawn care business?

What do you think of that? Then you could send out all the press and be the spokesperson for the show and have links on your website to it and then maybe make a website specifically for this that links to your site as well.

At the show you can have a register table maybe and you could hand out your marketing material. Maybe you could also have trophies that promoted your business?

The local neighbors would want to check this out and this is your customer base.

What do you think of something like that?

Fernando's CleanCut!
03-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Steve, sorry I took so long for this, I thought I deleted it I couldnt find it but here it is.
Here is a E-mail that a Sales-Rep on craiglist.com send me...
I ask him that this was too good to be truth so I ask for more info...........

Hi Fernando, I can get you accounts in your areas. How many do you need to go full time?
I mostly advertise in Melbourne area but I have a good service that wants my accounts there. I can probably get you 20 or 30 by summer in Merritt Island, Cocoa. Are you willing to do Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach ? If so I might be able to add 40 or more by summer.
We need to talk so I know we are on the same page with pricing. I like to give as low a price to customers as your willing to go because this gets neighbors hiring you also.
I try to arrange 2 or more accounts at each stop but it takes a few months to build that setup. Low prices build large groups of customers and large groups pay the best hourly rate.
I'm out of town this weekend but I'll be back Sunday night.

What I do can be done by anyone, It's just easier if I do it for you. I find out the neighborhoods you want to work in. Then I spend alot of time in those neighborhoods giving out estimates to every house in the neighborhoods. I try to meet as many people I can there
and talk about lawn care with them. I end up giving out many thousands of estimates and meeting hundreds of homeowners. It takes alot of time, but it bring results, lots of results.
I know what to say to the customer to address their needs. I am a nice guy that really wants to give them the best deal I can, and they notice this and like it. They tell their friends and neighbors. I strongly encourage them to tell their neighbors because this is where the big profit is is lawn care....cutting 2 or more properties at each stop, this will keep your hourly rate above $30/hour. My whole focus is on building groups of lawns for you. The first lawn is not profitable...(look at it as an opportunity)..... Add the second lawn at that stop and you are now at $30/ hour...get a third at that stop and the profits soar. This what I do for you.
It is not too good to be true.. It is just very good.

Why do I do this? MONEY.
I already have a 50 account lawn route and have a side business and stay real busy.
Each time I sell a lawn account to you, I'll make money from a source that dosen't require
me to do anything but make sure it's a good customer with a good lawn for you. I get money I would not have been able to earn if it required me to have to go mow them... I don't have time to.

I will spend nearly 50-60 hours putting out estimates and hand delivering them. But with the mowing season still on a winter schedule, I have time to do this now.

The estimates I put out now will generate customers all year. First I'll get calls from people that need service now 2nd I'll get calls at the end of the month from people that are already committed but want to change for some reason, 3rd I hear from people a few months later that have been saving my estimate in case they need it. My initial push is so large it reaps benefits all year long. I'm really good dealing with the customer and if you do really good work at a reasonable price, we'll get lots of action.
You can call me at 321-***-***
Thanks Scott Galat[I][I]

Steve
03-07-2008, 03:05 AM
That is very very interesting! What happened with this situation? Did you go with him?

How was he going to get paid?

What was your view on it?

Fernando's CleanCut!
03-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Mar. 07 2008,3:05)]That is very very interesting! What happened with this situation? Did you go with him?

How was he going to get paid?

What was your view on it?
... I send him an e-mail saying to call me anytime to set up a meeting so we can talk into details, but he never did, I probably call him before the summer gets here... I have many questions for him like:
:Am I going to be working FOR him?
:Have you done this type of bussines with someone else?
:How big is your company?
:How it works, I pay You monthly? One time?
...my point is, I dont want to have any "monetary" partnership with him.

I think when you meet a person face-to-face you can read if this person is real or not, so thats why I wanted to meet him instead of negotiating by phone or e-mails.

What do you think, should I persue this?... for me this is to good to be true, its like hes giving away hes clients.
I rather pay him to do the advertising and give him a bonus for every 2-5 new customers, or something like that.

Steve
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd like to hear his answers to your questions so I could better understand what he really plans on doing.