PDA

View Full Version : Orininal headers for newpaper ads

KimKriel
02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I am getting ready to put ads in local papers and am looking for a great header. Last year we used one that I borrowed from a post I found. Everyone loved it, so now am trying to come up with an even better one. If anyone has some ideas please pass them on.

Dzielak51
02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Your not really coming up with it if your just using someone elses now are ya?

lol, just giving ya a hard time.

How much is it to advertise in your paper? What kind of advertising are you doing? Color, size, location in paper, duration, how many readers?

KimKriel
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
It was $220. last season for two ads (weekly paper), they were 2 business card size, I believe last years didnt have any color. It goes out to 4 surrounding towns. I put it in 2 seperate papers, unfortunatly when we got the calls I did not think to ask which paper they had seen the ad in so I could get a track of which paper was more profitable.(Something I am planning on doing this year, Im thinking of putting a code or something that would clearly identify the paper) As for coming up with my own Idea Couldnt get the guys to pose on the mowers (like the fire fighter calendar men). So I will have to beg, borrow, or be lame. lol

Steve
02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Kim,

I am so sorry I didn't see this.

Ok wanna be crazy? How about this.

FREE
Lawn Care
Your phone #

What would you do with this? Offer two free lawn care cuts if a customer signs up for a years worth of lawn care. Do the free cuts at the end of the season.

I bet this would get the phone ringing http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

What's your thoughts? Oh and what was the title you used last year?

KimKriel
02-19-2008, 07:40 PM
"FREE MOWING (Bring your lawn in and we"ll trim it for free)
*slight charge for house calls.

I think anything for free catches the eye. *I am planning on putting it in color also, I cant remember which section (has to be 1 or 2 since that all they have) *but I chose not to put it with the business ads so that it would stand alone.

I am still going with the calendar pose doesnt it say somewhere to make your appeal to the wives? I know the firefighters work for ME. Although not any local ones, and apparently not our crew.

Steve
02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Quote[/b] ]"FREE MOWING (Bring your lawn in and we"ll trim it for free)
slight charge for house calls.

LOL that is great! How did that do? Did it bring in a lot of calls or not enough? If it worked, why not stick with it?

Quote[/b] ]I am still going with the calendar pose doesnt it say somewhere to make your appeal to the wives? I know the firefighters work for ME. Although not any local ones, and apparently not our crew.

Why not fake it! Take their heads and put it on a bodybuilders body ! HAHHAHA That would be a riot!

KimKriel
02-19-2008, 08:09 PM
It was great every one was talking about it. It did work really well, I only wish I had tracked the paper thing out. I was trying to come up with something that would add to it.

I thought about the photo shop, but I think they would be very disapointed when the REAL crew showed up. lol Dont tell my husband I said that.

If I can figure out how to add pictures to this site Ill add our real crew.

Steve
02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
When you make a post, there is a button below the area you type that says Browse. You can click on that to add an image!

Dzielak51
02-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Thats awesome. About how many calls do you think you got from those papers? Im doing the same thing....running a 2 week ad with my business card in color. The paper i put it in is in 3 different local papers and gets to about 100,000 viewers. So im hoping for atleast a 1% return from this.

KimKriel
02-20-2008, 06:29 PM
We got 15 calls with 14 signing yearly contracts.

I am going to try to add the pix but has not been working, so if it goes through Tim and myself are in the middle. If no pix showes up I will draw you my stick one

Steve
02-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Kim,

Email me the pic (slow@gophersoftware.com) and I will get it up here.

Also, would you be happy if your ad pulled the same amount of interest this year or are you shooting for more? If so, what's the target amount?

Have you figured out the cost of acquiring a customer? Do you have any thought on how much a customer who signs a contract is worth per year?

KimKriel
02-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Well I would like to see it double, eventhough we've added another crew we are still running out of time slots. BUT thats good right??

It cost us around 32.00 for each customer we got.

As for how much each one is worth for just lawncare it is only about 1600. but we get all the add ons (these are residential) so most are worth alot more.

It has proven to be a good form of advertising for our residential customers.

Steve
02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Quote[/b] ]It cost us around 32.00 for each customer we got.

I think that is an awesome deal. For a $32.00 investment, you are getting a minimum of $1600.00 back not including upsells!

It makes you wonder then why only run the ad for 2 weeks?

Also here is the picture you emailed me. Great Pic! You got a lot of great support there!

KimKriel
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Last year was my experimental phase of advertisment, I tried a bunch of thing and have now figured out what has paid off and what not to invest my limited marketing cash on. Unfortunatly I didn't research enough to inquire which paper they got the add from so I will be putting it in both again and will track info better this year. I'm really not sure why I didnt run it more to tell you the truth.

I didnt see the pix but before anyone call in the child labor law the little one only contributes by spending the profits. And as you can tell he was not very happy.

Steve
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Do you think you will keep the ads in longer this time? It seems to me that would be a really good move. How long might you run it for?

Also what did you try last year that didn't work at all?

KimKriel
02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
As I was sitting here I figured why I didnt run it longer initally COST, we just didnt have the extra cash but I could have done it any time during the season.

I will probably run it for 2 week as a spring clean, then right before season starts run again for lawn service.

As for what didnt work, it could be an endless list:

This is all residential:

direct mail (costly (none)
door to door(maybe (but really only got 2 or 3)
flyers at drugstore ect. (none)
business cards at gas stations(probably (none)

what did work:
truck lettering(got us that BIG one)
word of mouth
trading customers(my cleaning clients)

Steve
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
This is really fascinating. What is the lag time from the time you place the ad until the time you get the calls? Then how long after the ad has run to the calls last? Do they last much after the ad stops printing?

Here is my thought at least. As long as you have the cash and say you run the ad and during that two weeks you get a bunch of calls and they become clients. You could potentially keep the ad going until the calls start to taper off, or you run out of your ad budget.

What's your thought on that?

KimKriel
02-21-2008, 01:30 AM
I think it was almost a week before we got our first call, because I was thinking CRAP, but then they came in quickly(whithinday) it was about the third week that the last one came in. So either they kept the paper laying around or cut out the ad.

What about running it for 2 weeks every month? Think that would work since the last call was on week 3. I seriously dont know.

Oh I forgot on the list of no's was a map that had our ad in it(big costly mistake I didn't do that one though)

Steve
02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I am gonna bring this up tonight in the podcast and see what everyone else thinks of what the best way to go about this is.

Then I will let you know what they say.

You are welcomed to join in as well http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif