PDA

View Full Version : Marketing to Property Management Groups

pmblair
11-28-2007, 08:48 PM
The other day I was doing random searches on Google trying to find different groups to whom I could market our services... of course, Property Management Groups were high on my list. I found TONS in my area... Here's what I did: I visited each one's website, took note of the contact person, and then emailed them personally, adding their name to the salutation... Here's what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

We found your website online under property management and would like to talk with you about one aspect of property management: curb appeal.

We are a Lawn Care & Landscape Maintenance company based in Fayetteville, GA. We specialize in the exterior beautification of homes and businesses. We perform services from lawn mowing and shrub trimming to pressure washing and gutter cleaning. We’re always looking for new clients, and when we found your site, we knew we were a perfect match for you!

What we’re offering is to help you with the management of the properties under your care. We know that there are many companies out there that try to expand their property management services to incorporate building repairs, remodeling, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and landscape maintenance. Those companies sometimes get into trouble as they are spread much too thin to take care of everything. That is the main reason we focus on the exterior beautification of properties.

We would like the opportunity to service some of your properties. We’re sure that you will be satisfied with the quality of our work.

Please consider our company when you need the services we provide. If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email us for the answers. We’re always willing to take some time to talk with prospective clients and customers. We also do free estimates. Just give us a call to discuss your current and upcoming projects.

Sincerely,
Patrick M. Blair
Co-Owner, Green & Clean Lawn Care
(678) 817-4011 (cell)
www.GreenAndCleanGA.com

I did this Sunday night... It is now Wednesday, and I have had 6 phone calls and 3 emails from people who received my email and are interested in meeting with me to talk about a contract.

Feel free to use the wording above if you like... go to Google and search for "Property Management Group <your city> <your state>".

If you try it, let us know how it works out for you!

Steve
11-28-2007, 10:17 PM
WOW Patrick!

That is excellent! So you googled "Property Management Groups" and then your town? Or how would you best suggest looking for these groups?

What search words would you suggest?

pmblair
11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I simply Googled "Property Management Group Fayetteville Georgia" and them emailed everyone pretty much from every site on the first five pages... there were a couple of PMG lists that popped up, so that was more work... I actually had fun doing it, too! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
That is fantastic! How many do you think you contacted so far? Also what made you think of contacting them in the first place?

pmblair
11-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, I was sitting around watching tv late at night... I got the idea from a mini "infomercial"... they were selling the secrets to real estate... and the words "property management" popped into my head...

I started searching... and I just now counted the emails in my sent folder with the same subject heading... 32 emails sent... 9 responses...that's about a 28% response.... not bad!

Steve
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Quote[/b] ]I started searching... and I just now counted the emails in my sent folder with the same subject heading... 32 emails sent... 9 responses...that's about a 28% response.... not bad!

That is an excellent response rate!

Have you been thinking more about your videos as well? Any new insights you could share when might be coming down the pipeline?

pmblair
11-29-2007, 01:15 AM
As far as the videos go, I have to get some better green screen material... as soon as we get that, we're doing another video... we'll be talking about the importance and benefits of fall clean-ups as well as promoting a few of the sites where we're listed and/or are members (like the gopher forums, for one)... and we'll be wearing Santa hats! lol

Steve
11-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Good for you! I can't wait to see it!

LawncareMarketingMagic
12-01-2007, 01:41 AM
Patrick,

Way to get an idea and jump all over it! Congrats.

If I were you, I wouldn't stop at the email. I'd follow up with those that didn't respond initially and send them a letter in the mail.

You could almost send the letter as is, but if I could offer a few suggestions, this is what I'd change about it:

Quote[/b] ]What we’re offering is to help you with the management of the properties under your care. We know that there are many companies out there that try to expand their property management services to incorporate building repairs, remodeling, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and landscape maintenance. Those companies sometimes get into trouble as they are spread much too thin to take care of everything. That is the main reason we focus on the exterior beautification of properties.

1. I'd take these points, distill them down, and come up with a concise statement that clearly tells your prospects why they should choose you over every other option available to them. Really separate yourself from the crowd with your message

Quote[/b] ]We would like the opportunity to service some of your properties. We’re sure that you will be satisfied with the quality of our work.

2. Make them a specific offer. Offer them a one month service contract. Offer them some premium services. Offer them a discount. Present them with a very specific reason to pick up the phone and call. Plus, give it a deadline to create some urgency.

Quote[/b] ]If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email us for the answers

3. Tell them exactly how to respond and when to do it. I know it probably sounds like overkill, but adding 'call us at (678) 817-4011 (cell) or email us at 'patrick@GreenandCleanGA.com' triggers something psychologically in their mind.

4. Add a P.S. with a testimonial from one of your satisfied customers, preferrably another client similar to the one you're targeting. It'll add more credibility and help sell the client even more.

Finally, I'd add every one of the property management companies to your 'farm' and send them something every single month for the next year. It may take 6 months to get a response, but you'll have developed some good name recognition by then.

Again however, you've already done a great job by simply acting on your idea and the results have proven themselves out. My suggestions will just help you improve upon your already fantastic results.

pmblair
12-01-2007, 01:54 AM
GREAT tips, Chestin! I appreciate your input a lot!

I think I will do just what you said... piece by piece! I think you're right... send them something every month until they either say "We'd like to use your services" or "Please leave us the heck alone!" Either way, they'll know who we are! ...and even the ones who tell us to leave them alone may eventually come around and use our services in the long run...

Thanks, Chestin!

Steve
12-01-2007, 02:16 AM
Isn't it amazing how much of any business is about showmanship?

Did you ever in your wildest dreams think that would apply?

If you change your letter, let us know what you come up with!

Steve
12-01-2007, 02:18 AM
I am also wondering how you could apply your trombone playing into some kind of marketing gimmick that would get people's attention. Maybe something with your band?

pmblair
12-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Heh... the only place I play any more is at Church...

Steve
12-01-2007, 02:36 PM
But what if you played more elsewhere? Do you have parades in your area? Could you put together a small band that could march and play?

Ok how about another crazy idea, find out what the Guiness world record is for continuous trombone playing an then set up something where you try to beat it. Even if you don't get anywhere near beating it, you could still get in the press ;)

You could do this at your church. Maybe it could be a fundraiser too!

pmblair
12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I would LOVE to put together a small band... only problem is I just don't have the time to commit to it... =(

Steve
12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Well if you did have the time, what kind of music would you play? What would be on your set list?

pmblair
12-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Hmmmm... Chamber style Christian music... Classical (LOTS of Wagner)... Jazz (Dixieland, 70s Jazz, Harry Connick Jr)... and some of that thick-brassed 70s and 80s music (a la Earth Wind and Fire, Chicago, James Brown, etc)...

realhuntin
12-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Patrick,
Great job with the letter. I am amazed at the respose you have got from this. I'm going to try this in my area and see what happens. Thanks for offering it to all of us.

Again Great Job and Thanks

Tim

FourSeasons
01-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Patrick & Tim-
What happened to the PMG that you got a response from. Did any jobs ever come from these contacts?
Or any requests to put in bids?
Are you sending them out everymonth like Chestin suggested?

What Happened?

pmblair
01-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Funny you should ask, Rob... I just spoke with one of these people today. He said that they just ended a contract with the last company that was doing work for them.... something about they kept driving the prices up or something... anyway... he asked if we could meet on Monday to discuss business and "tour their properties"... He said that they have 6 residential properties and 8 commercial properties... I told him of course, that I would LOVE to meet with him Monday. So that's set... I'm going to work him a good deal (I hope)... I'm going to talk to him about regular pressure washing, waste management on the commercial properties, semi-annual gutter cleaning on the residential properties, and holiday lighting/displays for the commercial properties too... and probably window washing on the commercial properties... should prove to be interesting...

In the interim, Jason told me the other day that his former district manager from the place he used to work called him to ask him about pressure washing... he had called once before (when Jason was in partnership with another guy (all they did was pressure washing)), but they weren't insured, so they couldn't use them..... this guy now works for a public storage place locally as a DM.... he's got 9 stores... he wanted to talk to us about using our services... he told us that he would want us to do all the lawn maintenance, pressure washing, junk and debris removal after auctions, and possibly some parking lot striping (Jason has done that before).... the people that the company had been using didn't do EVERYTHING and they want someone who will.... this guy said he'd been writing a check to the prior LCOs for $5000 - $6000 per month!

In a nutshell, this guy told Jason that it's not "IF" we start doing work for them, it's "WHEN"!! =)

FourSeasons
01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Thats some good news!
Keep us posted on what happens with the property manager on Monday to.

Steve
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Quote[/b] ]I'm going to talk to him about regular pressure washing, waste management on the commercial properties,

Can you tell us a little about what waste management services you will be offering?

B7 Enterprise
01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I try this myself about 2 weeks ago and got one response from a major company telling me to try again next years. as they have already done there budget for the 2008 season.

Its a good start for 2009.

Steve
01-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Jacob,

Can you give us a little insight as to what you did?

B7 Enterprise
01-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 19 2008,6:45)]Hi Jacob,

Can you give us a little insight as to what you did?
I done the same thing the first guy done, looked up property management groups in my area and sent out the letter that the first guy did.

And got a call from one of the biggest property management companies in Lexington.

He said I emailed the president of the comapany and the president told him to contact me directly. lol

there ya go. one fast and simple e-mail.

Steve
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Can you believe that! WOW! Good job!

I guess that just goes to show you the power of reaching out to others to let them know you are in business!

pmblair
01-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Quote[/b] ]Can you tell us a little about what waste management services you will be offering?

I'll be offering to check their waste cans outside the businesses 3-5 times per week and empty them...

Steve
01-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Quote[/b] ]I'll be offering to check their waste cans outside the businesses 3-5 times per week and empty them...

That is a great idea and why not! You are already there! Why give that job to someone else! Nice!