PDA

View Full Version : Hiring homeless as a marketing angle?

Steve
12-20-2007, 12:54 PM
What is your view on hiring the homeless as employees? Would that be something that would be a positive marketing move?

Hiring the homeless (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/arlingtonheights/business/703963,ah-bzohiring-122007-s1.article) - In fall 2006, the HOPE Center opened a lawn care service modeled on a successful landscaping service run by the Center for the Homeless in South Bend, Ind. Stull said the business didn't require a lot of initial investment or training to get started. Much of the equipment was donated by private individuals. Stull said less than $1,000 was spent on additional equipment.

During the warm weather months, Stull said, the service had a number of contracts, primarily residential. Organizers wanted to start with the residential market because it was easier to get business.

While the agency's clients gain the skill of operating lawn care equipment, they also acquire other skills.

They learn "timeliness, communications skills, customer service, conflict resolution," he said.

FourSeasons
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
If I was going to hire someone to cut my grass I wouldn't want a bunch of homeless guys doing it. From observing the homeless people in action around here I don't think it would work out to well where I live.
Although, I have had 2 customers who go down to the homeless shelter and hire 2 guys to come out and work at there house for a couple days. And the one guy used them all summer. Every time I was in the neighborhood they were always outside or working on some project.
Some of them worked out and the other ones were lazy and he sent them back.
I dont know if this is what your talking about or not.

pnplawn
12-21-2007, 02:40 AM
From the stand point as a business owner there would be some kinda liability Issuse there. What happens if this person gets hurt? Better yet ruins someones yard or flowers? You as the owner of the company you be liable for damages. Also they get hurt ( No works mans comp. I think you be #### of fix would of been better of going to labor ready pay there fees get the help there. They carry there own workmans comp, General Liability INS for there workers.