PDA

View Full Version : BNI Groups

realhuntin
12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Does anyone belong to or know what a BNI Group is?

I have joined one for 2008. My Lawn Care trade buddy says the first year he added 15k to his revenue just in small referals he received from the group.

What do you think?

Thanks Tim

ABurlison
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
What is a BNI group?

Steve
12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Is it affiliated with this site?

http://www.bni.com/

realhuntin
12-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 08 2007,8:35)]Is it affiliated with this site?

Yes this is it.

Steve
12-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Do you all meet up on a certain day of the week or is it monthly? How does that work?

How does it compare to a chamber of commerce?

pmblair
12-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure about CoC referrals... I don't know that they actually even DO referrals... but I have been to a few meetings for a local BIN group when I was doing web design... I was even offered a permanent seat on their group... the way they work is that there can be only ONE of each different kind of business in their group... there is more than one group in my area... (one in about 4 different surrounding cities that I could get involved with)... you get their business cards and they get your's... then, when someone asks them "Hey, do you know someone who could <cut grass, wash cars, work on computers, give a massage, a good chiropractor, etc>?" They automatically whip out their referral book, give them one of your cards, and then take their name and phone number to pass along to you...

They meet every week at like 7am at a breakfast house and do meetings over breakfast... they talk about new and innovative marketing techniques... ways to satisfy existing customers... partnership / affiliate opportunities... cross promotions... etc...

It's really a good thing to check into... I would not doubt that it would increase EVERYONE'S business... and I had totally forgotten about them until this thread... THANK YOU! I'm going to contact my local groups next week to get into another meeting...

Here's the website for my local groups...
PowerCore (http://www.powercore.net/)

I recommend EVERYONE checking into this... there are dues, but if you have a steady income through your business, then you can pay it from business funds and write it off as marketing, I suppose.

FourSeasons
12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I had a customer talk to me about this. He is part of one its called Business Networking International. They do exactly what Patrick said. It was $300 to start and you have to be there once a week or some from your business to represent you. You have to do a small presentation about your business and stand up and share every week.
Probably same one as above. He kept asking me to go because they didn't have a landscaper/lawn care provider.

I never went because it just seemed like a scheme to me. And also when I asked all of my friends only one had heard of it and didn't really have anything to say about it like yeah join it or check it out. So I just kind of dismissed it.

He was going to let me go as his guest a couple times. I probably still could.

And he had made somewhere in the thousands from referals. I don't remember how much.
I didn't have time to go for breakfast every week either.
Let us know if you end up joining.

FourSeasons
12-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Oh you did join>
Keep us posted! I would like to know what you think about it.

realhuntin
12-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 08 2007,8:41)]Do you all meet up on a certain day of the week or is it monthly? How does that work?

How does it compare to a chamber of commerce?
Weekly meetings and they are strict on being there every week. The group I meet with meets on Tues Afternoons 11:30-1:00 Basicly lunch hour.

Around here CoC dosnt do referals and BNI groups do.

I also belong to my area B2B and Businessman Assoc. Both are good contacts, kinda like the "GOOD OLE BOY NETWORK" if you know what I mean.

Steve
12-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Is there anyway you can guess what someone could get in return for joining one of these groups as far as, what % of their revenue could come from such group networking?

realhuntin
12-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 09 2007,3:29)]Is there anyway you can guess what someone could get in return for joining one of these groups as far as, what % of their revenue could come from such group networking?
That would have to be hard to say. I'm only looking for about 10-15% increase in business from it so if I get more then hey its better than I expect. I know my brothe-n-outlaw has 2 groups his company is in and about 40-50% of his business comes from it (construction managment). My trade friend says he is going to join another group because he got such a great return from his current group.

You can only join one group as a person so my friend is having one of his crew leaders join the other group and my b-n-law has his brother (partner) in the other group.

Steve
12-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Tim when you reflect on all this, what you are doing in a sense is creating a brand which is you. You meet people at these meetings and you are presenting you and selling you as the head of your business. You are the go to man. If they like you, they hire you. If they don't they won't.

Would you find this to be the case or no?

If this is the case, then how does this effect your marketing angle then? Do you promote you in your marketing campaign?

Should you?

Is it the same as going to the meetings?

What's your view?

realhuntin
12-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 09 2007,6:07)]Tim when you reflect on all this, what you are doing in a sense is creating a brand which is you. You meet people at these meetings and you are presenting you and selling you as the head of your business. You are the go to man. If they like you, they hire you. If they don't they won't.

Would you find this to be the case or no?

If this is the case, then how does this effect your marketing angle then? Do you promote you in your marketing campaign?

Should you?

Is it the same as going to the meetings?

What's your view?
I would have to say Yes & No, and here is why;

I have been in this postion before the so called BRAND and I have had people that liked me and I got a lot of business through them, I have also had people that may not have liked me as well but they still called on me because they knew I could get the job done, done right the first time and with no after worries. When I sold my accounts from my previous business I had customers that I had only visited every 3 years and that was a manditory free preventive maintainence service call dont get me wrong I talked with all my customers frequently and some tines just to say Hi how is everything going. So yes I have been here before but I sell R & R Lawn Care not Tim Robinson all my customers know I am only the operation manager not the owner, that would be my wife and kids (youngest 2 anyway). Which I don''t mind being branded customers know they come to me and it gets done, and I like that personal touch I have with each of my customers. I found if you have a customer Mrs. Smith and not a Customer Smith #5801 you will get more business from them personally or refrals from them so it all works out. No matter how large you become in this industry if you stay intouch with customers you will succeed.

Fact; Before I started there was 6 major players in the Landscaping that also provided cutting services, there was 5 major players in the Lawn Care Service (treatments only), with in 25 miles of me. Now that I have started this and as people begin to talk and hear of us I feel and know we are in the top 3 accross the board.

Thanks for the question you really made me think on this one.

Steve
12-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Quote[/b] ]Now that I have started this and as people begin to talk and hear of us I feel and know we are in the top 3 accross the board.

I find all this fascinating to discuss as I am sure our forum members enjoying reading and hearing your thoughts.

How does one who find's their business at a ranking of 3 then get to #1?

What would you say the #1 company or the #2 company do with their marketing that you aren't doing or that you haven't done yet?

Or is this just a matter of time and over time if you keep at it, you will get there?

Any advice to others who are shooting for #1 spot?

realhuntin
12-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 09 2007,6:55)]Quote[/b] ]Now that I have started *this and as people begin to talk and hear of us *I feel and know we are in the top 3 accross the board.

I find all this fascinating to discuss as I am sure our forum members enjoying reading and hearing your thoughts.

How does one who find's their business at a ranking of 3 then get to #1?

What would you say the #1 company or the #2 company do with their marketing that you aren't doing or that you haven't done yet?

Or is this just a matter of time and over time if you keep at it, you will get there?

Any advice to others who are shooting for #1 spot?
Time and time alone at this point, I will continue to flood the area with marketing material (flyers/doorhangers, newspaper inserts, and even thinking of running some early morning commerials during the news this spring). As far as ranking I would have to say of course it is on customer satisfation and quality of services provided not on customer base. As far as landscaping and Hardscapes we are right there with them because I get bid request from Commericial contractors and home owners to bid against the top ranked companies a lot.

Our goal for this year is to add 20 new customers each month through the cutting season, wheater they are lawn care application service, full service, commericial *or resi.
The main goal is to have over 100 monthly reoccuring customers by seasons end and at least 10 onetime customers per month in 2008.

My Advice is; CUSTOMER SATISFACTION #1 priority even if it cost you money get the job done. Be reliable and dependable. Set short and long term goals and stick to them (be realistic when setting these), DO NOT OVER EXTEND YOURSELF with to much work or financially. by this I mean don't go buy a skid steer to do one job, or don't over schedule yourself for a workload you can't handle, if you have a full schedule for 3-4 days and it rains for 4 days now what? Think about it. Thisa is a sign of bad customer service and the Customers will understand but they wont wait forever. Market only the areas you are comfortable with at first. Stand by your word be dedicated, provide superior service, be proud you did that job, do what you say you will do and DON'T short cut it. Be honest, if you don't know tell them you don't know but you *will get you an answer for them, let them know you have a support team, the customer will respect you more for this than if you just tell them a lot of bs and later they find out, now you have just created distrust, not the way to a trusting relationship, by this I mean believing in what you say you can do you do. When you put doubt in a customers mind you have just lost them for any futher business and refreals.

Hint: Do a good job every time and that customer will tell 10 people, do one bad job and that customer will tell everyone that will listen to them.

Hope this helps. Thanks for reading, I can get a little windy some times.

Tim