PDA

View Full Version : What listing services are you using?

pmblair
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
I was wondering what other sites everyone is using to list their business... here's a short (and incomplete) list of some of the ones we're using:

Ziply.com
iBegin.com
Findoha.com
LaborTrader.com
MerchantCircle.com
Hire-Contractors.com
LawnCareCompanies.com

Steve
12-01-2007, 12:52 AM
You know, I do wonder how effective all these sites are.

Maybe some who run blogs could jump in here, but I wonder if it would just be much more effective if you had a blog on your site with a lot of lawn care discussion content on it.

If these search engines are looking for key words throughout content and the more content you have the better, then maybe this is the way to go?

pmblair
12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Hmm... interesting thinking... I was using them for multiple reasons:

1- Get listed on the sites where potential customers may be looking...
2- Network with other businesses in my area (which could be potential customers, too) that are also listed on the site...
3- Create more inbound links...

I don't know how effective the third one is...

ABurlison
12-01-2007, 06:27 AM
From what I've read all over the internet, it appears that inbound links are good, especially if they are 1 way links, which means your website doesn't link back to the referring site. But this is just what I've read.

pmblair
12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Really? One way links? Do you remember where you read that? I wouldn't think it would matter either way, but I'd love to find out for certain.

Steve
12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
How does craigslist.org play into all of this too? Do you think that helps increase your inbound links?

landonkade
12-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Dec. 01 2007,12:50)]I was wondering what other sites everyone is using to list their business... here's a short (and incomplete) list of some of the ones we're using:

Ziply.com
iBegin.com
Findoha.com
LaborTrader.com
MerchantCircle.com
Hire-Contractors.com
LawnCareCompanies.com
here is one that i did, and still working on at merchantcircle

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busines....18-1916 (http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/J.And.M.Lawn.Care.And.Landscaping.334-618-1916)

tell me what u think so far, and what i should add to get calls off that site

Steve
12-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh that's good! I really like your stripes pictures. I noticed you can also add video!

Maybe you might do that? Or Patrick might too!

landonkade
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 01 2007,4:35)]Oh that's good! I really like your stripes pictures. I noticed you can also add video!

Maybe you might do that? Or Patrick might too!
yeah i am going to add moroe stuff soon. I like all the options it has to offer

pmblair
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
I've already got my video on there... wish there was a way to make the videos come up first instead of the pictures...

landonkade
12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Dec. 01 2007,4:24)]Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Dec. 01 2007,12:50)]I was wondering what other sites everyone is using to list their business... here's a short (and incomplete) list of some of the ones we're using:

Ziply.com
iBegin.com
Findoha.com
LaborTrader.com
MerchantCircle.com
Hire-Contractors.com
LawnCareCompanies.com
here is one that i did, and still working on at merchantcircle

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busines....18-1916 (http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/J.And.M.Lawn.Care.And.Landscaping.334-618-1916)

tell me what u think so far, and what i should add to get calls off that site
I would like some input about the website and would like for
some people give me some good reviews stating how good of a lawn care provider i am,lol http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif 5 star rating

be sure to put my sity: Dothan Alabama

on the above link^

Steve
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Will do ;)

ABurlison
12-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Dec. 01 2007,1:03)]Really? *One way links? *Do you remember where you read that? *I wouldn't think it would matter either way, but I'd love to find out for certain.
I believe I read it on the website, theseoadvisor.net.

Do any of you know the piece of code to disable right click?

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Quote[/b] ]I believe I read it on the website, theseoadvisor.net.

Do any of you know the piece of code to disable right click?

I'm not sure to agree or disagree with that. *The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If it is a link farm with no relevant content to your site, I believe a return link can actually be detrimental to your site.

With the site I am trying to accept only links to other lawn care sites. *I am not running a link farm at all. *Also, pages are filled with lawn care related content. *This helps page rank (my PR is currently zero but it should rise when I emerge from the sandbox) as well as page relevance.

Googlebot spiders my site almost everyday including PHP pages with outbound links. *I can't imagine they would look disfavorably on return links.

I wish I were an SEO expert so I could tell you definately.

Here's a disable script from dynamic drive. *I used to run a script like this on my sites until I realized that it's super easy to get around them.

I'll try to learn more of the story on return links.

Keith

Quote[/b] ]<script language=JavaScript>
<!**

//Disable right mouse click Script
//By Maximus (maximus@nsimail.com) w/ mods by DynamicDrive
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="Function Disabled!";

///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE4(){
if (event.button==2){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}

function clickNS4(e){
if (document.layers||document.getElementById&&!document.all){
if (e.which==2||e.which==3){
alert(message);
return false;
}
}
}

if (document.layers){
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
document.onmousedown=clickNS4;
}
else if (document.all&&!document.getElementById){
document.onmousedown=clickIE4;
}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("alert(message);return false")

// **>
</script>

ritchiem
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Disabling right click is annoying...I am one who uses my right click to navigate through the internet. The only reason you would want it is to stop people from stealing your pictures. But using firefox it sorts all of your media anyways, making everything a 'Save As' option through the 'Tools' tab.

Inbound links are not as important anymore, but they still have merit. Just know that if you are going to give your link to someone that it is a strong reputable site. Sharing links with crammers and spammers isn't a good idea.

It is all about content and how you set up your content. SEO is a beautiful thing, and if you apply properly you will reap the benefits. Its a waterfall effect:

Meta tags match your page title, then match that pages content. Also make sure that your description is page specific to match your content. Don't just make one set of meta tags and description for the entire site, optimize each page.

Steve
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Quote[/b] ]Here's a disable script from dynamic drive. I used to run a script like this on my sites until I realized that it's super easy to get around them.

Why were you using this?

ABurlison
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Well part of the right-click disable is also it doesn't allow your competitors to view your source code, and well if they rank higher than you on SE results than I can see exactly what keywords your using and such. I've also tried viewing someones site that ranked high, and of course, right click was disable so I couldn't see what they were up to.

As far as the links thing goes, I personally don't know what relevance it makes towards SEO, this is all a guessing game, unless someone here works for Google and could tell us specifically what their spiders are programs to look for and capture.

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Quote[/b] ]Why were you using this?

Because, I was paranoid about people copying content. *That was back in '98 or '99. *

Those scripts are mostly useless and annoying to readers who want to copy a small portion of your content and reference your site.

Keith

ritchiem
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Thats right, and besides you can view source code right in the 'View' tab in firefox. If you want to hide your source code you can encrypt it. Requires installing scripts, not hard to do, but do you really need to?

Steve
12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh that is interesting! I didn't know these things got that involved! I use firefox and I can see source code through the view menu.

Fascinating stuff!

Ultimately it makes you wonder, if it is more important to guard what you have or forever be pushing forwards. Maybe both http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif