PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Marketing Our Company and Get new Cust.

action_lawncare
11-25-2007, 01:27 AM
If anyone can give us ideas on other ways we can market our business and get new customers please let us know.

What is the best way market your webpage and your company out there. We have tried almost everything I think manageable to market us out there that doesn't cost much money.

Examples of our marketing techniques:
Post Cards to individuals and business that have just purchased their homes or bought the new business. We would go on our counties appraisor page and look at new sales. That has worked for us but you can only get so many because as you know there are not too many recent sales out there right now.

Faxes: We would go onto our county commerce page and get fax numbers to local business. We would fax over our flyer to introduce ourselves. We have gotton to commerical hits off those that we are currently do right now and we have had 3 other calls for estimate. Those were left at estimates. We have not heard from them. We have tried to call back to do an update on our proposals but no response yet.

Cold Calls: This is something new we are doing. That's a little tough because most companies have people they do. We have had 3 hits so far, out of 3 hits 2 (one apartment complex and other a trailer park) have been proposals and one we just called day before thanksgiving and they will be contact us on Monday or Tuesday to get us over to give an estimate (nursing home). Now we have not heard from the other 2 yet, we just turned in the proposal for the trailer park and we are waiting. The other we may have bidded to high. But there was a lot of work that needed to be done.

Emails: We tried emailing HOA out in our areas. We had some responses back but they state they are locked in until a certain time. So now have that info for the next bidding process.

Do you have any other ways that don't cost money to try to advertise our company out there that has worked for you. Any ideas would be greatly apprechiated.

Like I mention before in another section have been in business since 2004. As you know in this business customers come and customer go. We are trying to wean out our residential customers and get more commerical accounts or group accounts. We want to build our business more that route. Residenital are starting to become a pain. They pay when they want to and they seem to make their own adjustment on their invoices when they feel like it. That is just driving us nuts now. We do have a couple of commericla accounts like chic-fila, comfort inn, pregnancy center, and we do work for our city of npr code enforcement. But we want to expand even more .

Steve
11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Rob and Dee,

Welcome to our forum.

Quote[/b] ]If anyone can give us ideas on other ways we can market our business and get new customers please let us know.

What is the best way market your webpage and your company out there. We have tried almost everything I think manageable to market us out there that doesn't cost much money.

I think in order to find success, you need to meet people and let them know you are in business.

Start with simple things at first like handing out business cards to everyone you know. Join local community organizations. Get involved with your community. You want to get yourself to the point when people need lawn care, they will think of you as their friend in the business. You will be their contact.

Let me ask you this, what would you say makes your company stand out from others? What interesting or unique hobbies or interests do you all have that could be used to make you all come across as different? From there, we can come up with a unique marketing hook.

Angelik99
11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey I think you guys are right by me! You should give me your pain in the neck customers or give them my number, hahaha!!

I'm looking to pick up new customers but not commercial ones.

My husband started a concrete pumping business and I went down the phone book and got the physical addresses of all the local contractors, mailed out flyers, and he went and introduced himself in person to some of them. That seemed to work really well and can be translated to lawn service since you are looking for commercial accounts.

If it's a place where they rent the building like in plazas, call around and see if you can find out who exactly they're renting from aka the guy in charge of hiring you! =)

Or look for the signs to lease one, they usually have the number right there in the window!

Steve
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Sarah,

Quote[/b] ]My husband started a concrete pumping business and I went down the phone book and got the physical addresses of all the local contractors, mailed out flyers, and he went and introduced himself in person to some of them. That seemed to work really well and can be translated to lawn service since you are looking for commercial accounts.

Can you remember how long you spent at each place and what % of them became customers?

Did you visit once or multiple times?

Angelik99
11-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Nov. 26 2007,3:48)]Hi Sarah,

Quote[/b] ]My husband started a concrete pumping business and I went down the phone book and got the physical addresses of all the local contractors, mailed out flyers, and he went and introduced himself in person to some of them. That seemed to work really well and can be translated to lawn service since you are looking for commercial accounts.

Can you remember how long you spent at each place and what % of them became customers?

Did you visit once or multiple times?
I'm bad with coming up with an acurate percentage, but I'd say he got a lot of calls from the flyers and picked up about 6 acounts rather quickly.

We had started it up north with his mom's help, and she pretty much cut me out of everything...so I'm not exactly sure how many for a fact. It was a big mess of her trying to split up our marriage...but that's another story, lol!

But when I got the addresses from the phone book/calling when it wasn't listed. It only took me maybe 4 hours total to get everything done. The calling, addressing of the envelopes, flyers printed, and stamped.

Oh in the envelope was a letter introducing the company (new in the area etc), the flyer, and 2 business cards. And if I could I got the name of the person who was in charge of hiring companies and would put Attn: that person.

Steve
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
That is fascinating!

How has that experience helped you with your lawn care business? What similar things have you done to help grow what you have now? What worked best and what didnt?

Angelik99
11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Nov. 26 2007,4:23)]That is fascinating!

How has that experience helped you with your lawn care business? What similar things have you done to help grow what you have now? What worked best and what didnt?
I'm still working on ideas. I think my experiance working with a concrete company before that helped me get him in the door also his previous experiance. We had actually met at work, LOL!

But with my business I keep trying new things with not much luck. I guess because the grass has slowed down. But for the holidays I'm going to be boosting everything, since I've been thinking about it since halloween.

From January until I need to I suppose I'm going to be marketing and advertising with every idea I come across, including that toy drive! If I come up with anything else I'll be sure to let you know!

Steve
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Keep us posted on the ideas you implement and what kind of reaction you get. Also if you do anything community based, make sure you send out information to the local media.

action_lawncare
11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I wanted to let you all know that I did 2 cold calls and my husband is out doing estimates now. One is a nursing home and the other is an animal clinic. Both pretty big accounts. Hopefully everything goes well. Both companies are not satisfied with their current lawn care company. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Dee & Rob

For my husband his experience has help for him by becoming the perfectionist that he is. He will take time on the appearance of a lawn that is why his customer like his work.

For me, not much experience in lawn cutting but I have a masters degree in business. I can go out and put proposal together, speak to new possible customers, billing, etc..... That is what I am good at and that has helped so much. I even put our webpage together myself and setup online payments. So that has help financially a lot because we didn't have to hire anyone to do it. I even will get down and dirty with my husband and help him mow his properties or do cleanups with him to save money. Yes I can do it all, even be a mother of 3. My youngest being 3 months old, 22 months old, & 10 year old. I even work from home for an internet satellite company. so I do it all. Sometimes I wonder if there is anything i can't do.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Steve
11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Quote[/b] ]For me, not much experience in lawn cutting but I have a masters degree in business.

Hi Dee,

WOW! What a great story! You certainly do have a lot going on.

With your masters degree education, can you tell us a little what skills you have been able to apply to your business? How do you feel a masters degree in business gives you a competitive advantage over another business that doesn't have that level of education?

Angelik99
11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Quote[/b] (action_lawncare @ Nov. 27 2007,2:39)]I wanted to let you all know that I did 2 cold calls and my husband is out doing estimates now. One is a nursing home and the other is an animal clinic. Both pretty big accounts. Hopefully everything goes well. Both companies are not satisfied with their current lawn care company. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Dee & Rob

For my husband his experience has help for him by becoming the perfectionist that he is. He will take time on the appearance of a lawn that is why his customer like his work.

For me, not much experience in lawn cutting but I have a masters degree in business. I can go out and put proposal together, speak to new possible customers, billing, etc..... That is what I am good at and that has helped so much. I even put our webpage together myself and setup online payments. So that has help financially a lot because we didn't have to hire anyone to do it. I even will get down and dirty with my husband and help him mow his properties or do cleanups with him to save money. Yes I can do it all, even be a mother of 3. My youngest being 3 months old, 22 months old, & 10 year old. I even work from home for an internet satellite company. so I do it all. Sometimes I wonder if there is anything i can't do.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
I have an associates degree in computer programming...and I love the site you made btw! I still haven't done mine. Trying to find the time in between work, 2 kids, cooking, cleaning, yard work, etc! You know how it is I'm sure!

I do so much everyday I wonder how I manage to get it all done. But somehow I do! Add in holidays coming and everything is madness. My daughter who is six, is making presents for everyone this year so I'm helping her and then my son just turned a year old so helping him learn how to walk. I feel like I'm pulled in a million directions constantly! As I'm sure you do sometimes with three of them!!

I also have office skills that my father and my husband severly lack and that helps so much!! I dunno what they would do without me! lol!!

Sorry I'm all over the place here...just in a rush as usual, gotta go get the kids soon!

Steve
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Sarah and Dee,

I had an idea that I wanted to pass by you. Do you think it would be worthwhile to have a section on this forum for Women owned businesses? So the women on our forum could talk about how the handle all the issues dealing with running a business and being a mom?

What are your thoughts?

pnplawn
11-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Good Idea steve.

Steve
11-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks! I'd love to do it if there was interest in it.

action_lawncare
11-28-2007, 01:15 AM
With my degress in business adminstration, I have learned how to approach people, how to get a feel of what they are looking for and go with it. My mind is always running like a business. I don't know when to stop. I am a go getter. I don't give up that easy like my husband does. I dont' know what its like to be a quiter. He gives up easy and I'm always there to make things better. I know how to take the step, pick up the phone and make phone calls to companys to see about there lawn care. Once I get someone that is interested, I send my husband out, he comes back with a quote, I write up a proposal and fax it or mail it to them. I am great at writing proposals. When I married my husband his business sense was on paper. His invoices were hand written. Now I have built him up to using Accounting Quickbooks, got a website set up for him, made his business look professional. We are a small company but we look very professional.

With my master degree I can be working in a suit, in a big office, making six figures but I chose to stay at home, be a mom, and help run a business. Someday, I hope to make my husband business grow to business he never thought he can have. I have only been married 3 years to my husband . And I have help him make his business grow.

I may not be smart cutting lawns or doing landscaping but I am very business savy.

Dee P.

action_lawncare
11-28-2007, 01:17 AM
I have already posted my thoughts on the forum. Great!!

Steve
11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Dee,

Quote[/b] ]Now I have built him up to using Accounting Quickbooks, got a website set up for him, made his business look professional. We are a small company but we look very professional.

You know this got me thinking if you could organize your husband's office, maybe you could offer the same services to other lawn care operators?

You could market such services on here and see if anyone would be interested in having you virtually manage their office too?

What do you think of that?