PDA

View Full Version : Marketing question

Steve
11-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I got an email from a new friend who was reading the forum. He had worked with a company for his entire career and just got laid off, just shy of 30 years with the company.

Now the holidays are here and he is in a desperate spot.

He had been doing some lawn care on the side but now feels this is his only chance to scale up.

My question to you is this. Should he use his story in his marketing? Should he tell how he lost his job after 30 years and really is in need of work to help him and his family?

What's your view?

ritchiem
11-21-2007, 10:11 PM
You mean "Use the pity vote"? Not being mean, but what would he say?

What he should market is that he has experience in the trade. Does he have any pictures of some of the work he has done? Can he get some testimonials?

He could take some extended learning courses, buy some books. Once you become educated that will show better for marketing.

I know Christmas is around the corner, and I also know for a lot of people it is a time of need. It is unfortunate that he now falls under this category...however, I just don't know how it would work.

I think this question will get a lot of mixed reactions.

Steve
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Well the thing is this. I know he was hesitant to let anyone know about this situation and I said, I would pose the question on the forum for him anonymously to see what everyone thought.

My view is if he has contacts that can help him get work, they may want to help even more so if they know his situation.

But could that back fire?

ritchiem
11-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Well I could see it working if he has contacts already in the business, or access to it. I thought the question was that he was going to use it in his direct marketing tactics. My bad. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Quote[/b] ]Well I could see it working if he has contacts already in the business, or access to it.

I don't want to sway your viewpoint. Do you think you should let the work out to your contacts that you need help if you need it? Or should you present another image ?

ritchiem
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't think he should. It doesn't sit right with me. However, I am not one to ask for help (I should more often).

What do other people think?

Steve
11-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I hope others jump in.

Reflecting on my own behavior, I think I would tend to hire someone I know really needs the work vs someone who doesn't. Because then I feel like I am helping out and I like being helpful.

ritchiem
11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Steve, you are one of the most helpful people I know.

I have the same attitude at times, but I have also had experience to helping someone, and then I didn't like the results. But not to go down a path of negativity....anyone else?

*Edit*

if the companies were of equal quality and such, I would help him out!

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-22-2007, 12:08 AM
I agree with you both.

I agree with Ritchie that he should not use it as a pity angle. *Coming from an angle of desperation is not appealing. However, that doesn't mean that he shouldn't share his story. *

Instead of saying "I need help because I'm in a tight spot" what if he says "I am thankful to be given the opportunity of being able to focus on my lawn care business and I am excited about the challenge ahead."

For some reason, Rocky keeps going through my mind. *We love him because, even when he was at his lowest, he never blamed anyone else, never whined at all, just kept fighting fighting fighting his way to the top.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cavFoyYJwPQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cavFoyYJwPQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

BTW, I'll probably sign off here in a few minutes for the evening. *HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE. *I hope you all get to spend your day with Family and Friends.

Keith

quickcleanlawn
11-22-2007, 08:45 AM
instead of the pitty angle, i think he should try a celebration type of angle.
celebrating the fact that he is now full time and has availability's.
he can still tell his story, including his experience in the green industry, and that he is now available to take on more work.
something in that nature.

justmike
11-23-2007, 10:21 AM
i dont have nearly the experience as others (disclaimer) but i think it could go either way...i have to agree with keith that "spindoctoring" the situation might be best...this is what i see as potential hazards...not to sound negative but how many people these days are in the habbit of throwing you some work because you need "help"?...including a story about being laid off after 30 yrs and now need some cash so let me cut your lawn (in my opinion) might get a neg attutude from those who have been laid off and now are employed, and especially from those who have no idea (cannot identify) with the situation at all...and...the big kicker in my opinion (maybe just my area in california), but do you know how many immigrant workers are out ther w/ stories and or situations that far exceed that of your friends??? again im not sure about your area, but to employ this angle of marketing in my area would be a huge risk and potentially place the biz in a category that is less than bennificial...go for professionalism and set the biz above the rest...and please, spindoctor the crap out of it until it makes for good marketing...

just my schillings worth...mike

justmike
11-23-2007, 10:29 AM
p.s...it seems to me people would be more willing to be a part of helping you "reach the top" per se, than throwing out treats

sorry if i at all sound harsh, im tired, sick, and grumpy today...godbless dayquil, zicam, and airborn...

have a good day fellas/ladies

Steve
11-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Welcome Mike,

I do appreciate your view point.