PDA

View Full Version : what do you rely on for your advertising?

bogilvie
06-20-2007, 05:38 PM
new poll

grounded
06-23-2007, 05:25 AM
As many people that log on to this site and only 4 votes?

Sad

Steve
06-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree. If you are reading this post, please vote and take an active role http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tiedeman
06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I looked at the results, so now I can't vote...my bad

Little's
07-27-2007, 06:43 PM
The type of advertising I rely on wasnt one of the options, knocking on doors and talking, so I voted for the next closest...business cards.

Steve
07-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Little's,

For our readers, can you tell us how often you knock on doors and how many you have done? What % of those people do you get jobs from?

Little's
07-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I only knock on the doors when I am actively trying to fill slot in my schedule. I usually doesn't take too many doors. I would say out of about 50 doors, I will talk to about 25 people and get at least 1 or 2 call backs from it.
When I first started my business, this is how I got all my customers. One of the call backs was from a person who manages a property managment company. He immediately set me up with 12 properties, and I am still doing 7 of them, and it accounts for about 1/2 of my income, since 2 of the properties are large apartment complexes.
This is the only advertising I have done (besides craigslist which brings me lots of one time jobs). And I work full time, so it works well.

Steve
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh! Fascinating!

When would you suggest lawn care operators go out to knock on doors?

Little's
07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ July 29 2007,1:31)]When would you suggest lawn care operators go out to knock on doors?
Definitely when starting out. And anytime you need more customers. I take a lot of pride in the fact that I stay busy full time, yet I have never paid for any advertising.
If you have a customer that is a little out of the way, that is another time when I would knock on any neighboring homes to help make the extra drive more profitable.

Steve
07-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Do you have any suggestions of what to say to the potential customers? How do you go about making the sale? Is it important to get them to say yes for a job on the spot or do you just want to meet them and follow up later with a phone call?

Little's
07-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ July 29 2007,10:05)]Do you have any suggestions of what to say to the potential customers? How do you go about making the sale? Is it important to get them to say yes for a job on the spot or do you just want to meet them and follow up later with a phone call?
Here's what I do. If no one is home I will leave a card on the door. But if someone does answer I say: Hi, my name is Brandon, and I own Little's Lawn & Landscape. I wanted to introduce myself and see if you needed any work done around your yard. Here is my card, if you need any work or a free estimate, then feel free to give me a call. Thank you.
Thats basically it. If they do have some work then I will have them show me what it is and give them an estimate on the spot. I have found that many times they will think it over for a day or two before they call back with the go ahead. In other words, don't be too eager to drop your prices to get the job. That can be real tempting to do, especially when you are first starting out and really need the work.
On another note, I will knock on doors in the Fall to try to get jobs on the spot cleaning up leaves etc. One other thing I started charging for in the fall is gutter clean-out. I found that your blower can clean out a gutter in in minutes (just remember to take your ladder with you and your all set).

Steve
07-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Great info! What time is the best time to do this and what days of the week do you suggest? Weekdays or weekends?

Little's
07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
The best time is anytime you need more work! I wouldn't limit myself to any particular time or day of the week.

Steve
07-31-2007, 05:42 AM
I was just wondering if it is best to go out when people are home like after 5pm? Or if its best to go out on the weekends vs. the weekdays. etc