PDA

View Full Version : lawn care slowing down

landonkade
10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
i have a few customers that are giving me a hard time about there lawn since its fall. i guess since they think that grass dont grow in the fall cause of the cold, nothing else needs to be done, but i tell them pine straw and leaves from trees makes the yard look bad, so it needs to be vacuumed up. And areas where pinestaw is needed could use it.

I know i can get more business during the fall as in summer time. Some are just dropping like flies, and i dont need that,lol

out of 50 accounts i now have 42

any advise

landonkade
10-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Oct. 30 2007,8:21)]i have a few customers that are giving me a hard time about there lawn since its fall. i guess since they think that grass dont grow in the fall cause of the cold, nothing else needs to be done, but i tell them *pine straw and leaves from trees makes the yard look bad, so it needs to be vacuumed up. And areas where pinestaw is needed could use it.

I know i can get more business during the fall as in summer time. Some are just dropping like flies, and i dont need that,lol

any advise
bump....

pnplawn
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Oct. 30 2007,8:21)]i have a few customers that are giving me a hard time about there lawn since its fall. i guess since they think that grass dont grow in the fall cause of the cold, nothing else needs to be done, but i tell them pine straw and leaves from trees makes the yard look bad, so it needs to be vacuumed up. And areas where pinestaw is needed could use it.

any advise
This would be the time to get them to sign a contract. Go to the customer ask them if there happy with your work this year. If they says. Then that would be a the time to tell them you want to continue doing work for them you need them to sign a contract for the next season. That you still need to get payed in the winter in order for you to be able to return next spring. Tell them you have equipment to pay for.

FourSeasons
10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
I think mine are going to start dropping faster to. I've lost 2 in the last week.
And we are starting to get some mild frosts at night.
I'm going to send out a flyer about fall fertilizing with my bills when I send them out shortly here.
I'm going to start advertising for gutter cleaning. I don't know how to charge for those yet. But I have one customer who has me just do the work and bill her for it without telling her how much first. So I can figure how to price it when I do her house.
I just need to figure out a way to keep my hands warm when I'm doing it.
Its going to be kind of frustrating when most of them won't want me to come back til spring.
This is why I would slowly like to switch to commercial accounts. I need to build up some courage and go talk to some property owners/managers.

pnplawn
10-30-2007, 11:26 PM
I have resorted to other methods. I am building a new website that I am going to allow the average home owner that wants to sell there home can list it on my site for 1.00 untill its sold. Its 1.00 per listing. Now i know that does not sould like alot of money but it will add up over time as people start finding the site. Also have the e build lawn care website done. You will have to think of things can work for you. To get you through the winter months.

landonkade
10-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Oct. 30 2007,11:17)]I think mine are going to start dropping faster to. I've lost 2 in the last week.
And we are starting to get some mild frosts at night.
I'm going to send out a flyer about fall fertilizing with my bills when I send them out shortly here.
I'm going to start advertising for gutter cleaning. I don't know how to charge for those yet. But I have one customer who has me just do the work and bill her for it without telling her how much first. So I can figure how to price it when I do her house.
I just need to figure out a way to keep my hands warm when I'm doing it.
Its going to be kind of frustrating when most of them won't want me to come back til spring.
This is why I would slowly like to switch to commercial accounts. I need to build up some courage and go talk to some property owners/managers.
yeah with me accounts dropping, that is telling i need to do something different. Like on any new/recent customers slap them with contracts for continous income

landonkade
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Quote[/b] (pnplawn @ Oct. 30 2007,11:26)]I have resorted to other methods. I am building a new website that I am going to allow the average home owner that wants to sell there home can list it on my site for 1.00 untill its sold. Its 1.00 per listing. Now i know that does not sould like alot of money but it will add up over time as people start finding the site. *Also have the e build lawn care website done. You will have to think of things can work for you. To get you through the winter months.
who would ever think of a website called E buildlawncarewebsites.com . I am guessing webuildlawncarewebsites was tooken. dang what a genious. God y didnt i think of that.lol

pnplawn
10-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Oct. 30 2007,11:34)]Quote[/b] (pnplawn @ Oct. 30 2007,11:26)]I have resorted to other methods. I am building a new website that I am going to allow the average home owner that wants to sell there home can list it on my site for 1.00 untill its sold. Its 1.00 per listing. Now i know that does not sould like alot of money but it will add up over time as people start finding the site. Also have the e build lawn care website done. You will have to think of things can work for you. To get you through the winter months.
who would ever think of a website called E buildlawncarewebsites.com . I am guessing webuildlawncarewebsites was tooken. dang what a genious. God y didnt i think of that.lol
LOL You know who thought of that name. YOU DID! Thanks.

FourSeasons
10-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Quote[/b] ]Tell them you have equipment to pay for.

I don't think our customers care about this.
I think getting customers to sign contracts would be better if it was based on our quality of work and how we are only accepting contract customers due to the demand of our quality work. And how next years schedule is going to be filling up fast. We would like them to be on it.
Or something like that.
What do you think? Would that be a good angle?
I don't think most homeowners really care about our needs.
I don't even have any customers on contracts so I don't really know.

landonkade
10-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Oct. 30 2007,11:58)]Quote[/b] ]Tell them you have equipment to pay for.

I don't think our customers care about this.
I think getting customers to sign contracts would be better if it was based on our quality of work and how we are only accepting contract customers due to the demand of our quality work. And how next years schedule is going to be filling up fast. We would like them to be on it.
Or something like that.
What do you think? Would that be a good angle?
I don't think most homeowners really care about our needs.
I don't even have any customers on contracts so I don't really know.
proably tell them that they will save money(give a small % off) in signing a contract in winter season for the following spring season, so u know u would have them year around. Trying to get ahead(preparing for spring). Stay in front of your compition, dont let them get in front of u. Just a thought

Steve
10-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Ultimately, if they are billed the same over the entire year, their monthly billing is lower because its more evenly spaced out over 12 months instead of just the mowing season. That's another angle you could use to sell the concept.