PDA

View Full Version : Self promotion example

Steve
10-11-2007, 01:30 PM
There is an article at CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/10/11/ep.work.stress/index.html) which talks about a traumatic experience, a 37 year old woman Helen Smith, dealt with. How her job gave her a heart attack.

Steve
10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
The article discusses what created the high stress load she was dealing with and then how she later relieved it.

Within the article, a link to her blog was included.

http://drhelen.blogspot.com/

Now as you read her article and you find yourself relating to her and want to learn more from her, you can then read more at her blog. In fact, you could actually Hire Dr. Helen, you see she is a forensic psychologist in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Steve
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Now how does all of that help us?

Well, our stories are a great way to sell ourselves and our services.

We surround ourselves with people we feel comfortable with. We buy from people we are comfortable with.

So isn't it amazing that we can take a tumultuous episode from our lives and actually make it into a positive?

Another great thing about expressing yourself is that it attracts others who find themselves in similar situations as you or who have gone through similar situations as we have seen right here on our forum. Then we can build a support group which helps us not feel so all alone and empowers us to push ever forwards!

I know we have been talking a lot about this in the forum lately, and I wanted to share an example of this in use in today's news.

Any thoughts on all this?

pmblair
10-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I have always found that letting the customer know a personal detail or two helps them feel more at ease with you. Be their friend. Let them be your's. Who knows? They may not need your services, but they may know someone who does... or maybe they DO need your services... chances are, you'll have a better chance getting their business because you are friendly and the other guys won't because they're too "rigid" and only trying to sell their services. SELL YOURSELF... your services will sell themselves as well.

Steve
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Good points!

Do you think with lawn care, since it is a personal service, where you have people coming over to your property, that a lawn care business who promotes the owner actually position themselves better than the lawn care operation that doesn't?

Will such a positioning lead to more sales?

pmblair
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I think it does. I used to promote my web design business the same way we'll promote the lawn care / prassure washing business - When you call, you'll be talking to the owner(s). When you get your service (for a while, at least) you'll be getting it done by the owner(s). ...and when we get so big that we have to hire crews, then the owner(s) will be the ones coming out to do your monthly or quarterly inspections and talk with you face to face about any issues you may have.

I know that in every job I've ever worked, I enjoyed the job a lot more when I actually got to meet the owner(s) and talk with them face to face... so why wouldn't a customer like to get personal attention in some form or another from the business owner? ... especially if it's the business owner that's taking the initiative to make sure his clients are happy.

Thoughts?

Steve
10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I think everything you are saying is ideally the way to do it.

Many times it seems small businesses start to falter when the owner can't extract themselves from the day to day management and rise above it to see where they are going.

It's like the saying 'work on your business not in your business.'

Steve
10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Have you read the book the e-myth yet? It's a great book for new small business owners and it is a pretty quick read.

It talks about such topics as the entrepreneurial myth. Fascinating stuff!