PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist attention getting ideas

Steve
05-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Here are some ads that recently appeared in craigslist.com. They are promoting lawn care service. Maybe they will give you ideas.

Quote[/b] ]
Lawn Mowing: Now Adding Customers
Tired of hauling out your lawn mower, week after week, in the heat of the summer when you could be inside watching the game?

Two skilled and reliable college students seeking lawns to mow for competitive and reasonable prices.

Let's talk ** send us an email!

Here is another

Quote[/b] ]
Rowley Lawn and Yard Care - Customer Recommendation!!!!!!!
I am one of Chris Z's ROWLEY Customers and I want to generate business for him in my area. He does a great job and I want him to pick up where he left off, what better way than to find him more customers.

Service Areas:

Newbury, Newburyport, ROWLEY, Salisbury

* Mowing, Trimming & Edging
* Mulch Application
* Spring & Fall Clean-ups

Call Chris @ 978 912 1653

and another

Quote[/b] ]
Landscaping @ Cheap Cost !!
I have close to 6 years in the landscaping business. I can mulch, edge, plant, remove, cleanup, trimming, or just about anything else you could ask. The only thing I do not do is cut lawns. I work by myself and gaurentee to get the job done the right way and within 2 days. I charge 12$hr for labor, the cost of mulch(which I can pick up to save on delivery cost), gas, and dumping/removal cost if necesary. With all considered, I charge muchh less than your typical landscaping company. Send me an email or give me a call @ 1-978-767-6583(leave your name, number, and address). Thanks

tiedeman
06-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I would have never thought to put anything on craigslist

TigerTime
06-30-2007, 06:22 AM
I have put ads on Craiglist but I have only gotten 1 customer from it so far.
I have also put some in the Memphis Flyers back pages. It is free so why not.

bogilvie
06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey just an update: I use craigs List here in Charleston and have been getting good results with it. I have two weekly and one bi-monthy customer! I got the idea from here and sure enough if you tweak it out, see what works and post it everynight its worth it! There is a faithful craigslist community here. Here is what my post looks like!

" 1ST cut FREE with PILOT Turf & TREE "

Pilot Turf and Tree (843-810-0924)

Finally! Affordable and Professional Green Care service for LESS than you think! We specialize in Residential property beautification and maintenance!

We have built a great customer base solely on Referrals from other clients! Wont you call for your FREE estimate!

Dont wait any longer, "Let us put your Green Care needs on Auto-Pilot"
Call: 843-810-0924 Fully Insured
Locally Veteran Owned and Operated!

Mowing, edging, hedge Trim ETC
Yard Clean-up
Light Landscape installation
Tree/ Stump Removal

tiedeman
06-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Quote[/b] (TigerTime @ June 30 2007,7:22)]I have put ads on Craiglist but I have only gotten 1 customer from it so far.
I have also put some in the Memphis Flyers back pages. It is free so why not.
that is till really good in my opinion. Whenver you can get at least one customer I consider that a plus

Steve
06-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Quote[/b] ]" 1ST cut FREE with PILOT Turf & TREE "

Do you require a contract for that or is it simply first cut is free?

How does posting it every night help? Are the repeat ads deleted? Or do you have multiple ads appear?

rudeboy
07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
yeah i use craigslist too i just started putting ads on there

Steve
07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
What kind of response have you had to the ads?

rudeboy
07-16-2007, 05:26 AM
i had a few emails back to me on the first ad i put i put one on there every night

Little's
07-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I have been using craigslist for some time now and usually get a couple of calls a week. In my ad I offered to trade my services, and have gotten many of good deals, such as a 3/4 ton F250, among other valuables. It works well.

Steve
07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
WOW! That is amazing! what did you have to do to trade for the truck? Do you have a picture of it? What year is it?

Little's
07-18-2007, 12:29 AM
I installed a 20 ft. french drain for the truck. It took me about 6 hrs. The truck is a 1976 F250 with a NEW 460 motor and C6 trans. New tires all around etc. It is the perfect work truck. I only use it when I need to haul a heavy load like gravel etc. The rest of the time it just sits.
last week I put in a 3 valve sprinkler system in trade for a brand new Vermont Castings gas fireplace valued at $1500. It took me 2 days, and the person paid for all materials. I traded for the labor only. I dont have any pics right now, my camera is dead. I do trades all the time. It seems as though people are short on money, but always have something to trade. Works great.

Steve
07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
That is fantastic. When you are considering doing a trade, what advice do you have for other lawn care operators to think about?

Little's
07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Make sure you get the trade in writing just as you would if doing a money transaction. Also, make sure the item is as described, that you are fully aware of its condition etc. Overall I have had some good experiences with the people dealing through craigslist.

LawncareMarketingMagic
07-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Craigslist is a great way to get new customers. As more and more people become comfortable with the internet, especially the more senior generations, everything you can do to get your name online will only help.

That's one reason having a website can be such a huge resource. When you post an ad on Craigslist if you also have a link to your website, it allows potential prospects to visit your site, see what you're about, and get more comfortable with who you are and the services you offer.

Now, the only drawback with something like Craigslist list is that you do have to repost your ad quick frequently, as was mentioned previously. This is because as new postings are added, they get added to the top of the list, pushing previous postings down. Most people don't go past the first page or so, making it necessary to repost your ad quite frequently.

Steve
07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Those are some good points. Has anyone experimented with this? Do you run into problems with craigslist if you keep posting the same ad over and over? Can't they potentially ban you from the site?

chrisv
08-05-2007, 05:26 PM
What section in craigslist are you guys posting the ads??

Little's
08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
I post in several sections. Always in my hometown, usually in Barter or items for sale. I repost my ads about once per week. I have never been banned for over posting.

Steve
08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
How many responses are you getting per week because of the ads? Are they quality responses? Do they end in sales or are they more tire kickers?

Little's
08-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I would say at least have of the responses end up as jobs, whether for trade or cash. I usually get 1-5 responses per week. Averaging 2-3. Not bad for free advertising. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
That is awesome! Nice work!

bullscricker
08-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I have been using craigslist for about two weeks now. From it I got five responses. I now have 2 new mowing customers, one is a biweekly four property customer from a property management firm and other is a weekly. It seems to be working well for me. I mean, what the hay, it is FREE advertising. I strongly recommend it.

Steve
08-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi bullscricker,

Welcome to our forum. Can you sahre with us what kind of message you use in your craigslist ad?

Clean Lawn
09-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I used craiglist and get roughly 10 e-mails calls a week. Now not every one of them works out to be a yearly contract but last week I got a $55.00 job and is considering a yearly contract, asked to bid on two property mangers rental properties (11 total and then his personal lawn. that was on thursday and I faxed it on friday) and the week before that I got one yearly contract $65.00 per visit/$7.00 doggie clean-up (see 2 new doggie clean ups this month)/and weed spray killing with fall lawn clean-up, seeding, aeration and fertilizer and another renter paid for us to come and do hourly work and is now signing a bimothly contract since we are headed into that time of year, and one 1 time a month contract.
But every new call that I asked, including the Merchants bid all said they saw us on craigslist. I still have not heard anything from Merchants by the way but that was my first commercial bid so I wasn't holding my breath. Today I got an e-mail regarding landscaping and someone who wants to sell their 9 year old lawn and landscaping business (again different person).
So overall I would say it has been better for CleanLawn than the fliers I had professionally made up with a sign a yearly contract and get your fourth lawn care visit for free a bust compaired to it.
Hope this is helful.
Now, its time for me to spend some time and research on pricing for fall clean-up, aeration, grass seeding and fertilizer. So, if any professionals want to throw their pricing suggestions out I am sure I am not the only one interested in the information.