PDA

View Full Version : Getting your name out

Steve
07-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Two friends start a lawn care business and find it very difficult to get their name out there. When you see stories like this an it reinforces how difficult it is to get your name out, you just are amazed when you compare it to what happened with Lee and his bikini lawn care.

As an experiment, the next time you talk to any of your family or friends, ask them if they have heard about the bikini lawn care business. I have been doing that lately and i am AMAZED the level of marketing penetration they have achieved.

DU alums start landscaping business (http://www.thecherrycreeknews.com/content/view/1539/2/) - Heading out on your own is no picnic, especially in the competitive world of landscaping and design - an industry dominated by huge firms operating with multiple crews and massive marketing capital. In January of this year, Ben and Brian - a couple of longtime friends and recent college grads - launched their own venture, Higher Ground Landscapes, and discovered the multiple pitfalls and rewards of doing it on their own.
After having some success with local advertising, the business is beginning to grow, and Brian talks with pride about a street where he started with one small project, and was then hired by a neighbor, and then another neighbor, until finally five homes on the same block each had landscaping executed by his company. “The hardest part has been getting our name out there,” he says. “We’re doing well with referrals, but to get people to use us, to get our name out, has been a challenge, honestly,” he says. “A lot of folks have people they’re going to use, and in this business, so much of it is word of mouth.”

tiedeman
07-31-2007, 11:27 PM
It is really, really hard the first three years in my opinion.